Nvidia sell to scalper and they don't care.

Soda Popinsky
5 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

The scalpers buying these cards are their customers. The point of a business is to make money. That's it. They don't care who is buying the cards as long as it is making them money.

While that is technically true, that's a very short-sighted way of seeing it if you're Nvidia.

Sure, they get the revenue immediately, but given that scalpers aren't utilizing those cards, adoption of that generation becomes slower and the price tag gets raised well above normal, removing what should be the proper target markets for the actual gamers interested in using those cards. 

There are a lot of factors converging that haven't been seen in the GPU space before, and time will tell if not taking actions against scalpers will come back to bite them.

The ticket industry has had similar battles because, like gamers, show/concert fans don't end up getting to enjoy the actual product, regardless of the show being "sold out." Scalpers buy 10 tickets, sell 5 and have made a profit, and now there are 5 empty seats because the other fans were priced out. Multiply that by all the factions of scalpers involved and you end up with a show/concert that isn't full of fans. The resulting anger from fans and musicians, etc... has resulted in at least some attempts at limiting scalping.

Something will eventually happen in tech as well.

10 minutes ago, divito said:

Sure, they get the revenue immediately, but given that scalpers aren't utilizing those cards, adoption of that generation becomes slower and the price tag gets raised well above normal, removing what should be the proper target markets for the actual gamers interested in using those cards. 

But "actual gamers" buy the cards anyway, lol. I also wouldn't be surprised if almost all scalpers kept one or two cards for themselves to use in their own rigs.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

Here's what I really don't understand about scalping:

If these items are truly limited supply, why doesn't Nvidia just sell the graphics cards directly to consumers with an auction system? This way they can enitrely cut out the scalpers and retain the additional profits for themselves. Seems very confusing. 

Because if it was a legitimate business or market strategy, businesses would already be doing it.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

6 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

How the hell is changing prices suddenly making them a monopoly? Lmao

Look up it up the term "Taking advantage of its power" You will see that a lot in court cases related to monopolistic behavior. 

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

snip

Read up on some lawsuits related to monopolies. "It's their product they can price it however they want" The lawsuit says otherwise. If you read any of them you will see some sort of argument of "abuse of power"... There lies your answer.

2 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

Read up on some lawsuits related to monopolies. "It's their product they can price it however they want" The lawsuit says otherwise. If you read any of them you will see some sort of argument of "abuse of power"... There lies your answer.

You're still stuck on it being a monopoly, which it isn't. So no, your finding doesn't apply.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

Look up it up the term "Taking advantage of its power" You will see that a lot in court cases related to monopolistic behavior. 

Look up the definition of a monopoly and tell me if there is anything about increasing prices on products you develop, produce, and sell.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Look up the definition of a monopoly and tell me if there is anything about increasing prices on products you develop, produce, and sell.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

You're still stuck on it being a monopoly, which it isn't. So no, your finding doesn't apply.

Microsoft is not a monopoly since there are many types of operating systems that consumers can use, but they are labeled as one.

There are proprietary software that Nvidia has that AMD doesn't. You wouldn't consider that a monopoly?

10 hours ago, Soda Popinsky said:

Like many of you, I think scalping should be illegal. It is unfair that they can buy all the GPU and resale those at an astronomical price. 

Life is unfair friend. If not being able to get a GPU is the worst thing happening to you, be grateful. 

13 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

Microsoft is not a monopoly since there are many types of operating systems that consumers can use, but they are labeled as one.

There are proprietary software that Nvidia has that AMD doesn't. You wouldn't consider that a monopoly?

Neither company is legally a monopoly. Being able to record video better or play a game with ray-tracing better on an Nvidia GPU isn't monopolistic. It's making your product more appealing. 

It would be monopolistic if Nvidia was your only option to play most games wholesale.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

43 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Neither company is legally a monopoly. Being able to record video better or play a game with ray-tracing better on an Nvidia GPU isn't monopolistic. It's making your product more appealing. 

It would be monopolistic if Nvidia was your only option to play most games wholesale.

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=is+microsoft+a+monopoly%3F

Scalpers do God's work

They allow people who are productive in society to acquire items in high demand.

If you don't have enough money to pay scalper prices, an idea for you is to be more productive and contribute to society.

If you do what other people want, you get money

I'm sure you would all agree that people who do more good are more deserving of items that have limited supply.

Being poor is just selfish.

Supply and demand, scalping has always been a thing and it ain't goin anywhere

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

1 hour ago, Dionyz said:

There's many reasons for that. They set forth to quell other operating systems, and were rather successful. They were found to also be able to charge basically whatever they wanted for the operating system, and people would still have to pay since programs simply won't run on other operating systems. This is not true for the GPU space. You can simply move over to AMD, and Nvidia isn't able to charge whatever they want because...wait for it...they have competitors that can do the same thing.

None of the proprietary software that Nvidia has makes the other product any less useful. They both perform the same function. Anything else is simply added feature set.

20 minutes ago, ezsteev said:

Scalpers do God's work

They allow people who are productive in society to acquire items in high demand.

If you don't have enough money to pay scalper prices, an idea for you is to be more productive and contribute to society.

If you do what other people want, you get money

I'm sure you would all agree that people who do more good are more deserving of items that have limited supply.

Being poor is just selfish.

I mean, you're kind of right, but I wouldn't call it God's work 😂

If you don't have money to pay scalper prices, you simply wait until the stock comes in. It's not like shoes or high end vehicles where there's a set number being produced.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

MSRPs are there for a reason, to make customers aware of the price they should expect for an item to buy.

it's as per se a way to fight scalpers, because companies already say: ok, this is the price of $item, if you see it sold for an extremely higher price then this one, they are scamming you.

the only way to fight scalping is not buying from them. at a point they will have to drop the price too if they don't want to have stuff in stock they'll never be able to sell overpriced.

and if you are someone who sells stuff for a living, you really don't want unsold stock of stuff.

Scalping works because of idiots who want the new gig at day one no matter what..

and since everyone knows idiots' moms are always pregnant, and are generally giving birth to 2+ twins at a time, scalping will never die..

for me.. i'l just wait for prices to get back to MSRPs.. till then.. not gonna spend any money on overpriced stuff.

What did you expect? This is no different than getting Super Bowl tickets. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |