1080p or 1440p Help!!!

Diane K

Hey guys, having a little difficulty choosing a monitor for Christmas.  I'm trying to decide between a 1440p and 1080p monitor.  I would definitely go for 1440p but i am worried my graphics card wont be able to handle it. I have RX 5500xt 8Gb mech version from msi and this is the monitor I am looking at. ( https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/gaming/ex2780q.html ).  I am Hooked on this one since this monitor has free sync technology ( amd graphics card + free sync ) and it comes with eye care technology as well.  I spend 4-5 hours a day on the monitor so that is really nessacarry.  additionally I like the high refresh rate and the flicker free technology.  This seems like the perfect monitor I'm just worried i wont be able to fully utilize it since my graphics card might not be powerful enough. What do you guys think? the other option would be going 1080p 144hz but i don't think those monitors have eye care technology.  Than i would use the extra money to invest it into a 3060ti.  However i just bought the rx 5500xt a month ago and don't want to upgrade for another 10 months.  

8 minutes ago, Diane K said:

i don't think those monitors have eye care technology

dont think this is important, to me anyways

8 minutes ago, Diane K said:

However i just bought the rx 5500xt a month ago and don't want to upgrade for another 10 months.  

that sounds like a frequent upgrade cycle lmao

9 minutes ago, Diane K said:

I'm trying to decide between a 1440p and 1080p monitor.

u can always run a 1440p monitor as 1080p

but if you're tight on budget and the price diff is huge, 1080p is still good

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

14 minutes ago, Diane K said:

Hey guys, having a little difficulty choosing a monitor for Christmas.  I'm trying to decide between a 1440p and 1080p monitor.  I would definitely go for 1440p but i am worried my graphics card wont be able to handle it. I have RX 5500xt 8Gb mech version from msi and this is the monitor I am looking at. ( https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/gaming/ex2780q.html ).  I am Hooked on this one since this monitor has free sync technology ( amd graphics card + free sync ) and it comes with eye care technology as well.  I spend 4-5 hours a day on the monitor so that is really nessacarry.  additionally I like the high refresh rate and the flicker free technology.  This seems like the perfect monitor I'm just worried i wont be able to fully utilize it since my graphics card might not be powerful enough. What do you guys think? the other option would be going 1080p 144hz but i don't think those monitors have eye care technology.  Than i would use the extra money to invest it into a 3060ti.  However i just bought the rx 5500xt a month ago and don't want to upgrade for another 10 months.  

Freesync is actually not that important unless you frequently have very high frame rates and a lot of spikes. With well adjusted game settings, it does not make a ton of difference. Seeing as you spend a lot of time in front of it, I would like to recommend a business class IPS monitor from AOC, Iiyama or DELL. 144 Hz is kind of a must for gaming. I am still on 1080p myself, also a 27 inch screen. While at first, switching from a smaller panel to the larger one, it seemed a bit blurry but you get used to it and sit farther back, making working overall much more relaxed. You card will be really happy at 1080p with modern titles but it can handle 1440p as well. Keep in mind tough that you not hit frame numbers as high without lowering in game settings. Upgrading to a new GPU makes little sense at the moment and who knows what they will launch next year once availability is back up to where it was. 

Btw guys i meant to say 3-4 hours in front of the screen not 4-5. My bad

Had the same question some months ago. I think it depends on your other needs. I'm running a 27'' 144hz 1440p. Before I had 27'' 1080p and I never wanna go back. 1440p introduces so much "space", if you're working a lot with it. As well 27" inch is for me the sweepspot, it is pretty immersive. I'm running a 5700xt and all titles are fine. What are you planning to play? Btw little tip check out the lg 27gl850-b. 

CPU: i5 8400 | GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ | MB: ASRock Z370M Pro4 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB | PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 650 W | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12S | CASE: be quiet! Pure Base 500 | KB: Logitech G213 PRODIGY | MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO | MONITOR: LG 27GL850‑B

I am a student in school right now.  In my free time I create landscapes and games in unreal engine 4.  For gaming I mainly play cities skylines and gold rush the game, as well as some ark survival evolved.  I might tryout some COD and galactic survival as well.  Also this is a little off topic but do you guys think i made the right choice with the rx 5500xt 8 gb or should i have gone with the 1650 super. they were both exactly the same price and that extra Vram really made my decision since i work with unreal engine 4.  

also i am new to this chatting so im just wondering why do you guys list your computer specs.  should i be doing that?

CPU: i5 9500 | gpu: rx 5500x 8Gb mech OC | Motherboard: ASROCK B365 ( I think ) | Ram: x4 4GB DDR4 2666 Patriot viper ( I also think ) | Storage: SSHD seagate 2TB | PSU Sea Sonic 550 watt | Cooler: coolermaster 212 EVO | case Fractal design Focus G | Keyboard: Corsair mechanical k95xt ( literally Just broke today ).  

2 minutes ago, Diane K said:

also i am new to this chatting so im just wondering why do you guys list your computer specs.  should i be doing that?

It just helps, if you got questions regarding your PC or issues, than it makes it easier because people know what your specs are. 

The bigger vram should help in most titles. With your titles it should be ok, if you don't mind to go a bit lower with the settings.

CPU: i5 8400 | GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ | MB: ASRock Z370M Pro4 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB | PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 650 W | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12S | CASE: be quiet! Pure Base 500 | KB: Logitech G213 PRODIGY | MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO | MONITOR: LG 27GL850‑B

So do you think that the monitor I was looking at is a good one

25 minutes ago, Diane K said:

So do you think that the monitor I was looking at is a good one

Check it out on https://www.rtings.com/. They got solid tests and tell you how suitable it is for different uses. 

Perfect,  Also what is your thought on the eyecare technology. and maybe this was answered before but do you think my 5500xt 8gb will be able to run those titles at 1440p 100fps.  If not would it be good to get for future proofing or would you recommend to save my money and wait for a rtx 3060ti or something else

one last thing and sorry if I am overwhelming you but what do you think about the freeseync technology.  One person above said its not that important but some threads i was reading say it makes a 60fps game feel like 100fps game.  what are your thoughts on that? I am asking this since there are some other monitors that i am considering but they either have g sync ( which only works on nividia cards i believe ) or they dont have anything.  

6 hours ago, Moonzy said:

u can always run a 1440p monitor as 1080p

1080p on a 1440p display looks pretty bad. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

1080p on a 1440p display looks pretty bad. 

If you're used to 1440p, of course

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

If you're used to 1440p, of course

No, not just because you're "used to" 1440p, because 1080 resolution doesn't divide evenly into 1440p resolution so there's inherent fuzzyness. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Middcore said:

No, not just because you're "used to" 1440p, because 1080 resolution doesn't divide evenly into 1440p resolution so there's inherent fuzzyness. 

That's depends on how you handle scaling

If you put both scaled and native 1080p side by side, you probably can't tell, assuming same screen size

That said, I never tested this myself, I should test it

21 minutes ago, Diane K said:

one last thing and sorry if I am overwhelming you but what do you think about the freeseync technology.  One person above said its not that important but some threads i was reading say it makes a 60fps game feel like 100fps game.  what are your thoughts on that? I am asking this since there are some other monitors that i am considering but they either have g sync ( which only works on nividia cards i believe ) or they dont have anything.  

It prevents in easy words glitches on the screen if the monitor doesn't get enough or more framed than the Hz of your monitor for more here a good techquickie to it: 

2 hours ago, Moonzy said:

That's depends on how you handle scaling

If you put both scaled and native 1080p side by side, you probably can't tell, assuming same screen size

That said, I never tested this myself, I should test it

I have tested it, so I know what I'm talking about. 

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

I have tested it, so I know what I'm talking about. 

I have Heard that before as well. For example 4k has x4 as many pixels as 1080p so i divides equally.  therefore 4k would work better but i cant afford a 4k 144hz monitor even if my life depended on it

I can confirm that 1080p on 1440p looks like purified dog ass.

F@H [] Autobiography [] 

Main Desktop and Folding Rig :

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-9400f

Gpu : GTX 1070 Founder's Edition
Psu : Seasonic G-650

Ram : G.Skill Aegis 4x8gb DDR4 2666MHz (14-15-15-34)

External Storage : 8tb Western Digital Elements Usb 3.0 Hard Drive

Storage : Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

Motherboard : ASUS B365 Pro-4 m

Gaming Laptop :

Spoiler

Cpu : I7-8750H 2.2ghz 

Gpu : GTX 1070 Max Q 

Psu : laptop b r i c k 

Ram : 16gb 2666Mhz 

Storage : 512Gb SATA SSD 

Motherboard : it's a laptop.....

old boomer (currently non-functional)

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-6400 2.7ghz (doesn't have a heatsink)

Gpu : Asus RX580 8gb (might sell)

Psu : EVGA 500 watt 80 plus

Ram : 16gb DDR3 1400mhz

Storage : 1tb Toshiba HDD (currently in main pc)

Motherboard : Generic ASUS pre-built motherboard

Is it true however that you can still have good quality with 1080p on a 1440p monitor but it will only take up a portion of the screen.  

Also how about 720p on a 1440p monitor. 1080p works on a 4k monitor so shouldn't 720p work well on a 1440p monitor.  

5 hours ago, Diane K said:

Is it true however that you can still have good quality with 1080p on a 1440p monitor but it will only take up a portion of the screen.  

It still would be fullscreen, it just looks a bit more blurry. The 5500 should get you playable 60 fps at 1440 at medium to high to settings depending on the game. Keep in mind, that your monitor will likely last longer than the graphics card. So I would get the monitor now and switch to a better graphics card down the line.

OK thanks, I will do some research and use those sources that you recommended to me and then I will see what you guys think.  Thanks so much for your help everyone!!