How to install Windows without an optical drive

Richiev4

Hi All

I'm new here so wasn't really sure where to ask this.

How do I install windows if I have a physical copy but I didn't put an optical drive in my new PC?

I do have a laptop with an optical drive.

Thanks

Richard

1. Make an image from your disc via ImgBurn.

2. Use Rufus and a large enough flash drive to make a bootable USB of that.

3. Boot from the USB and install Windows from that.

4. Use the product key from your disc box and activate Windows.

5. Use Windows.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

5. Use Windows.

You can just download the OS image installer from Microsoft, no need to go through the fuss of ripping it off the disc.

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

5. Use Windows.

rufus is not necessary for windows iso files. 

Hi

It is windows 10, and thanks for the quick replies

Download from MS because then it has all latest updates applied. A disc will most likely be outdated.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

BTW, 8gb is basically the minimum flash drive size, but if you want to get 32 and 64 bit, Home and Pro versions, get at least a 32gb flash drive. It'll make it so you have a handy way to reinstall to any system you want.

15 minutes ago, Euchre said:

BTW, 8gb is basically the minimum flash drive size, but if you want to get 32 and 64 bit, Home and Pro versions, get at least a 32gb flash drive. It'll make it so you have a handy way to reinstall to any system you want.

Windows 10 Pro could easily fit into 8GB of USB drives. The biggest file "install.wim" only exceeds 4 GB in the latest few versions and it is the single file needed. You don't need a separate Home and Pro version of ISOs. File downloaded straight from MS includes both versions in single ISO (it's basically a Pro version) unless you run scripts from UUPDUMP to exclude the Home version. If you opt to install Home the installer will just ignore Pro-specific files from install.wim. Also nowadays no regular home user should install 32-bit Windows. 

To OP, just download the ISO straight from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10ISO. You do need to use a non-Windows OS (or change the browser User-Agent to non-Windows ones) so that MS website provides the prebuilt ISO link. Otherwise it only provides a Media Creation Tool, and it sucks. It downloads necessary individual CAB files and assembles those into an ISO on your machine, which takes longer and uses CPU. 

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

You dont need to go through using third party apps like Rufus etc...

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA