I have been trying to find a case that meets my criteria for about 2 weeks and I need help.

Joseph K

I am building a new PC. I already have my 3070 and 5600x. My motherboard, RAM, and storage is set to arrive tommorrow. I still need a case, power supply, and probably a CPU cooler. Power supply is pretty easy to pick out but I initially wanted to do an all Be Quiet build, but everything I wanted was out of stock in Canada.

Here's where I need help, picking out a case. All the cases I wanted to get have been either completely out of stock or well above MSRP. It needs to have at least 325mm width for the GPU, and be as quiet as possible preferably.

Budget?

How big or small are you looking for? Beyond the GPU size requirements. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

14 hours ago, Joseph K said:

be as quiet as possible

I built my pc this year and I was going for silence too.

You can see my build down below. I use the fractal design define r6, because it is a great compromize between airflow and silence with it's sound dampening side panels and front panel. It help's to stop high frequency noise from HDDs and small GPU fans. I use the r6 with 3 140 mm silent wings 3 PWM fans with 2 in the front and one in the rear of the case. It's really silent. And I like the R6's flexibility. You can swap between an HDD cover to an open layout for better airflow, more GPU clearance and more space for potential watercooling stuff in case you need it. You can also swap between an open and a closed top panel if you want to mount radiators.

I love my PSU but you could also go for the corsair RM series which supports a 0 rpm mode when it is cool enough.

Today there is the define R7 in different sizes/versions. You could take a loot at them.

Some people think, a mesh front is better for silence than a solid front panel. And back when I build my PC the be quiet cases with solid front panel were not good for thermals. Maybe you can find a comparison between define r7 and somthing like the fractal design meshify 2 to see what is more silent now.

Fractal design Define and Meshify series are just my taste by the way... It's timeless, good quality but also nothing bright and colorful.

If you like RGB stuff, you could check out phanteks. I love the look of the enthoo evolv series and the eclipse series. There are also mesh front panels in the eclipse series.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

2 hours ago, suedseefrucht said:

You can see my build down below. I use the fractal design define r6, because it is a great compromize between airflow and silence with it's sound dampening side panels and front panel. It help's to stop high frequency noise from HDDs and small GPU fans. I use the r6 with 3 140 mm silent wings 3 PWM fans with 2 in the front and one in the rear of the case. It's really silent. And I like the R6's flexibility. You can swap between an HDD cover to an open layout for better airflow, more GPU clearance and more space for potential watercooling stuff in case you need it. You can also swap between an open and a closed top panel if you want to mount radiators.

I love my PSU but you could also go for the corsair RM series which supports a 0 rpm mode when it is cool enough.

Today there is the define R7 in different sizes/versions. You could take a loot at them.

Some people think, a mesh front is better for silence than a solid front panel. And back when I build my PC the be quiet cases with solid front panel were not good for thermals. Maybe you can find a comparison between define r7 and somthing like the fractal design meshify 2 to see what is more silent now.

Fractal design Define and Meshify series are just my taste by the way... It's timeless, good quality but also nothing bright and colorful.

If you like RGB stuff, you could check out phanteks. I love the look of the enthoo evolv series and the eclipse series. There are also mesh front panels in the eclipse series.

ya gamer nexsis did a video on slilance cases vs airflow case.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

9 hours ago, Voluspa said:

Budget?

How big or small are you looking for? Beyond the GPU size requirements. 

I'm looking for something high end but not overpriced, which is why I've had such difficulties. Preferably something around $150-200 CAD which is about $120-150 USD, but I don't have a hard budget. Preferably ATX because I might have a hard time fitting an EATX case in my room.

3 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya gamer nexsis did a video on slilance cases vs airflow case.

Every single one of those cases is sold out in my country.

6 hours ago, suedseefrucht said:

Define 7 has a decent price on Newegg right now but I'm worried about it's thermals.

7 hours ago, Joseph K said:

Every single one of those cases is sold out in my country.

the point was not what cases he used it was the point that if you have an airflow case and you buy quiet parts then it will be quiet like having an slinace case.

if your building new you have the option to buy quiet parts. now if you all ready have parts and there not quiet i can see haveing a quiet case could help but it will come at a cost of low air flow witch in turn will making your fans run faster witch will making it louder...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

the point was not what cases he used it was the point that if you have an airflow case and you buy quiet parts then it will be quiet like having an slinace case.

if your building new you have the option to buy quiet parts. now if you all ready have parts and there not quiet i can see haveing a quiet case could help but it will come at a cost of low air flow witch in turn will making your fans run faster witch will making it louder...

I know that. Still not helpful for me finding a case that isn't a cheap POS like NZXT h500.

13 hours ago, Joseph K said:

Define 7 has a decent price on Newegg right now but I'm worried about it's thermals.

Like I said, you can change the top to a top exhaust if you need extra cooling.

I will run a stress test with my system (specs down below) in the Define R6 just for you. Closed top panel:

Intel Core i7 9700 with be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim and 3x 140 mm silent wings 3 PWM case fans:
FurMark CPU Burner 100% load and the hottest core's max. temp after 15 min. was 73 °C
Still running really quiet.

Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 8GB (2x 100 mm fans)
FurMark GPU stress test max temp after 15 min.: 80 °C
I can hear the GPU fans. So you could go for a triple fan graphics card for less noise.

The silent wings 3 dont get any louder than 16 dB. So there would not be a big advantage for case fan noise in a high airflow case. Same for the CPU cooler. What I hear, is the graphics card under full load.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

On 12/10/2020 at 5:37 AM, suedseefrucht said:

After I read the OP I was gonna recommend this exact case. I have now owned 2 of these define r6 cases and built 2 other systems for friends in them. They are a bit on the higher side of the price bracket but they are onsale at Memory Express right now for $200 if they still have them. They are quiet, flexible and look great. This is what I would look at. If not than look to the Define R7

I personally have come to like the Lian Li cases. 

I have a LanCool II Mesh Performance (Non-RGB). It keeps my Ryzen 5 3600 and my GTX 1070 at around 60C when gaming. 

I don't hear any noise coming from them really, and my tower is on the desk.

1797659731_NewWorkstation.thumb.jpg.db66d6c0008eb371faac8e433feefb8e.jpg

I also just purchased the LanCool 215 for my son to replace his Skeria 500X (nice and quiet, but HOT as HECK!)

Not sure on how loud it is. 

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

5 hours ago, Jason 57 said:

I personally have come to like the Lian Li cases. 

I have a LanCool II Mesh Performance (Non-RGB). It keeps my Ryzen 5 3600 and my GTX 1070 at around 60C when gaming. 

I don't hear any noise coming from them really, and my tower is on the desk.

1797659731_NewWorkstation.thumb.jpg.db66d6c0008eb371faac8e433feefb8e.jpg

I also just purchased the LanCool 215 for my son to replace his Skeria 500X (nice and quiet, but HOT as HECK!)

Not sure on how loud it is. 

I was looking for the Lancool 215 because GN rated it very highly but it has never been available in Canada.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:09 PM, Ravendarat said:

After I read the OP I was gonna recommend this exact case. I have now owned 2 of these define r6 cases and built 2 other systems for friends in them. They are a bit on the higher side of the price bracket but they are onsale at Memory Express right now for $200 if they still have them. They are quiet, flexible and look great. This is what I would look at. If not than look to the Define R7

I think I'm gonna go with the Phanteks P400A because it's priced really cheap(130CAD after shipping on Newegg) and it seems to have good stock performance.

Ive heard nothing but good things about that Phanteks case so I am sure you will be happy

12 hours ago, Joseph K said:

I was looking for the Lancool 215 because GN rated it very highly but it has never been available in Canada.

Sorry to hear that. 

I had it on Newegg to notify me when it came in stock. I think that was a one month wait. The other was X570 Tomahawk, I think that was a 2 month wait. And my Gigabyte 34" 1440p 144Hz Ultra-wide was also 2 months, and I got it on my 3rd notify. They kept selling out in hours. 

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

On 12/9/2020 at 2:10 PM, Joseph K said:

I am building a new PC. I already have my 3070 and 5600x. My motherboard, RAM, and storage is set to arrive tommorrow. I still need a case, power supply, and probably a CPU cooler. Power supply is pretty easy to pick out but I initially wanted to do an all Be Quiet build, but everything I wanted was out of stock in Canada.

Here's where I need help, picking out a case. All the cases I wanted to get have been either completely out of stock or well above MSRP. It needs to have at least 325mm width for the GPU, and be as quiet as possible preferably.

One of our new CORSAIR 4000 Series Cases would be a possible candidate for your build.  We have 3 different variants (4000D - Solid panels, 4000D Airflow - Perforated panels, and 4000X RGB - Tempered Glass Panels) depending on your preference.  All of them will accommodate your GPU if you go with a top mounted radiator.  I'd recommend the CORSAIR H100i Elite Capellix in your situation.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

3 hours ago, Corsair Nick said:

One of our new CORSAIR 4000 Series Cases would be a possible candidate for your build.  We have 3 different variants (4000D - Solid panels, 4000D Airflow - Perforated panels, and 4000X RGB - Tempered Glass Panels) depending on your preference.  All of them will accommodate your GPU if you go with a top mounted radiator.  I'd recommend the CORSAIR H100i Elite Capellix in your situation.

Too late Corsair shill Corsair Representative, I already bought the Phanteks P400A.