MSI 2080 Super Gaming Trio runs way too hot

vishy92

Hey!

I started gaming in 4k and my temps got really out of control. After about an hour of gaming the card reaches 82C and performance suffers. Its getting loud too. It starts downclocking around the 70C mark above that it barely holds 1900mhz. 
I honestly expected a lot more from this HUGE "premium" priced cooler design. What can I do to improve? 

I included a few pictures of my case (Fractal Focus G). Would improving airflow help? With the GPU dumping hot air in the case my cpu temps also suffer

IMG_20200806_165731.thumb.jpg.97ff618a82823d9401251a3665f44cf6.jpg

IMG_20200806_165738.thumb.jpg.e0287293b4cf0d0b33e3b5d3f1a5f2b3.jpg

Currently there are 2 120mil fans in the front and a 120mil exhaust. 

What could be the culprit. Most people report an average of 68-70C load temps on these models. This is the non OC one to make matters worse.

You could try lowering the power target, to something lower than 100% (like 80-90%) to see if performance is not hindered, but temps and acoustics are improved.

A program like MSI Afterburner can be used for this.

Usually for overclocking you want it at 100% though, so depending on if you do overclock you might not want to make that change.

Keep in mind temperatures are based on ambient, so if your room is 10 degrees C warmer than someone else's room, your card will also run 10 degrees C warmer than theirs.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, minibois said:

You could try lowering the power target, to something lower than 100% (like 80-90%) to see if performance is not hindered, but temps and acoustics are improved.

A program like MSI Afterburner can be used for this.

Usually for overclocking you want it at 100% though, so depending on if you do overclock you might not want to make that change.

Keep in mind temperatures are based on ambient, so if your room is 10 degrees C warmer than someone else's room, your card will also run 10 degrees C warmer than theirs.

Thanks I'll try that. Ambient temp is really good actually. 19-21 C usually atm

Downloading Heaven atm and I'll check back

So I tried Heaven bench. GPU-Z says its drawing the full 250W and is power limited at 100%.

Lowering the power target by even 5% drastically decreases the core clock. Below a stock FE. Temps were 78C even after 10 minutes. Would have climbed higher, but I stopped.
Fans were getting loud... :/

1 hour ago, vishy92 said:

So I tried Heaven bench. GPU-Z says its drawing the full 250W and is power limited at 100%.

Lowering the power target by even 5% drastically decreases the core clock. Below a stock FE. Temps were 78C even after 10 minutes. Would have climbed higher, but I stopped.
Fans were getting loud... :/

You might need to look into undervolting, hopefully that can sustain the core clock speeds. I don't have experience with that though, so can't give specific comments.

Does this persist with and without the sidepanel on?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

You might need to look into undervolting, hopefully that can sustain the core clock speeds. I don't have experience with that though, so can't give specific comments.

Does this persist with and without the sidepanel on?

yeah, undervolting will help, ask @Stahlmann

Have you tried to clean the fan blades at all on the graphics card? My MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio I find a couple degrees difference just by using a Q-tip to clean the fan blades (They are a PITA as some have odd pitches to the blades) every month of so as my PC gets pretty dusty on the bottom fans blowing straight up to the GPU. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Undervolting could help, but the card should not run hot to begin with. It's a high-end model that should run more in the 60s when under load. DId you buy it used?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Have you tried to clean the fan blades at all on the graphics card? My MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio I find a couple degrees difference just by using a Q-tip to clean the fan blades (They are a PITA as some have odd pitches to the blades) every month of so as my PC gets pretty dusty on the bottom fans blowing straight up to the GPU. 

I'll try, but I dont think they are dirty. I cleaned the whole system recently with condensed air. I dont have a bottom fan tho. What are your temps like if you dont mind me asking. We have the same cooler design the X is just factory OC. 

I order 3 140mm silentwings and will try to change the fans in the front and add an exhaust to the top. The back unfortunately is 120 only and I dont have space for a bottom fan.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Undervolting could help, but the card should not run hot to begin with. It's a high-end model that should run more in the 60s when under load. DId you buy it used?

It was new.

Just now, vishy92 said:

It was new.

If possible i'd return it or get it exchanged. I'd not open it up and maybe repaste it when you still have warranty support.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, vishy92 said:

I'll try, but I dont think they are dirty. I cleaned the whole system recently with condensed air. I dont have a bottom fan tho. What are your temps like if you dont mind me asking. We have the same cooler design the X is just factory OC. 

I order 3 140mm silentwings and will try to change the fans in the front and add an exhaust to the top. The back unfortunately is 120 only and I dont have space for a bottom fan.

My temps range from mid 50s to upper 60s like 67-68 depending on the load. I have a custom fan curve set on these as the default curve is really horrible and runs the GPU near 70 all the time. When I did have a side panel fan on, my temps were about 3-4 cooler but I don't have a 140mm fan filter on that and got dustier, so I took that fan out. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, Stahlmann said:

If possible i'd return it or get it exchanged. I'd not open it up and maybe repaste it when you still have warranty support.

It has no warranty unfortunately. I didnt buy it from a store and it was cheaper this way. In retrospect not one of my best ideas. Probably could try for warranty at the seller, but I wouldnt get my hopes up.

Here is also my fan curve in case you wanted to try it from MSI Afterburner. 

image.png

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

My temps range from mid 50s to upper 60s like 67-68 depending on the load. I have a custom fan curve set on these as the default curve is really horrible and runs the GPU near 70 all the time. When I did have a side panel fan on, my temps were about 3-4 cooler but I don't have a 140mm fan filter on that and got dustier, so I took that fan out. 

Mind telling me your fancurve? I tried a custom one, but at around 50% fanspeed it gets to an uncomfortable audio level. At 65-70 it sounds like a jet engine for an extra 3-4 C

Just now, vishy92 said:

Mind telling me your fancurve? I tried a custom one, but at around 50% fanspeed it gets to an uncomfortable audio level. At 65-70 it sounds like a jet engine for an extra 3-4 C

I just posted it above actually. 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

I just posted it above actually. 

Yeah posted at the same time sorry:D how are noise levels for you? Or am I just picky lol

Just now, vishy92 said:

Yeah posted at the same time sorry:D how are noise levels for you? Or am I just picky lol

They're not too bad, I have my case fans go higher at 60 so it seems like it gets drowned out, my two 120mm fans on the bottom are on the fan controller switch on my case and when I set them to high, they are louder than the rest of the system. If I turn them down to the lowest setting, the fans from the GPU are a settle low hum. They run around 2000-2500RPM at the most with the fan curve going near 70. 

6 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Im not exactly comfortable taking it apart with its value. I might look into it I have arctic mx2 at home atm. 

They're not too bad, I have my case fans go higher at 60 so it seems like it gets drowned out, my two 120mm fans on the bottom are on the fan controller switch on my case and when I set them to high, they are louder than the rest of the system. If I turn them down to the lowest setting, the fans from the GPU are a settle low hum. They run around 2000-2500RPM at the most with the fan curve going near 70. 

How do you control your case fans like that? In the bios I can only change them according to CPU temp. That doesnt do much here unfortunately.

Anyway I'll try the fan curve in Heaven in a bit. Thank you very much.

Im hoping the 140mm Silentwings will help a little. Will see tomorrow.

Would it make sense to put an exhaust at the top? or would that just interfere with the cpu cooler

Just now, vishy92 said:

How do you control your case fans like that? In the bios I can only change them according to CPU temp. That doesnt do much here unfortunately.

Anyway I'll try the fan curve in Heaven in a bit. Thank you very much.

Im hoping the 140mm Silentwings will help a little. Will see tomorrow.

Would it make sense to put an exhaust at the top? or would that just interfere with the cpu cooler

My case has a built in fan controller that goes up to like 10 fans if you really need that with a molex for power. It has a toggle switch on the top that goes from LOW-MEDIUM-HIGH. I mainly have my front 200mm and top 2-200mm with the rear 140mm connected to the motherboard. [Hardware monitor] is my way of controlling fans in the BIOS so I can set a fan curve that is based off of the CPU temperature and will do Voltage at some temperature range (or PWM on 4 pin fans). 

An exhaust fan may help but I've only noticed most of my exhaust air goes out through the rear (the hottest of all exhaust) compared to the two-200mm fans on top. 

10 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

My case has a built in fan controller that goes up to like 10 fans if you really need that with a molex for power. It has a toggle switch on the top that goes from LOW-MEDIUM-HIGH. I mainly have my front 200mm and top 2-200mm with the rear 140mm connected to the motherboard. [Hardware monitor] is my way of controlling fans in the BIOS so I can set a fan curve that is based off of the CPU temperature and will do Voltage at some temperature range (or PWM on 4 pin fans). 

An exhaust fan may help but I've only noticed most of my exhaust air goes out through the rear (the hottest of all exhaust) compared to the two-200mm fans on top. 

https://imgur.com/a/wi7SxRQ

Ive been running heaven since you posted your fan curve. Temps rise steadily. Seems like they have a hard time to stabilize. It might be an airflow issue after all.

The fans are spinning between 2500-2700 rpm and are really loud. Might be a defect on my cooler if its a "hum" for you.

Unfortunately my back exhaust is only a  120mm 1200rpm noisy piece of shit. No slot for 140.

3 minutes ago, vishy92 said:

https://imgur.com/a/wi7SxRQ

Ive been running heaven since you posted your fan curve. Temps rise steadily. Seems like they have a hard time to stabilize. It might be an airflow issue after all.

The fans are spinning between 2500-2700 rpm and are really loud. Might be a defect on my cooler if its a "hum" for you.

Unfortunately my back exhaust is only a  120mm 1200rpm noisy piece of shit. No slot for 140.

Do you have a video of how loud the fans are?? I might have chosen "hum" wrong but like a low woosh sound of air being pushed around. Its nothing like a blower style cooler. 

Do you have a video of how loud the fans are?? I might have chosen "hum" wrong but like a low woosh sound of air being pushed around. Its nothing like a blower style cooler. 

Sure I'll record one in a bit