MSI GTX 780 Lightning vs ITX case

longb99

Hello everybody,

Maybe I'm going to get a smaller system soon, but I was wondering if it's possible to fit an MSI 780 lightning in a mini ITX case? Not only because of its length, but also coz it take 2.5 slots with the GPU reactor on top and a thicker cooler, I'm not really sure...

Any advice or sugestions??

Greetz

CPU I7 3960x Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X79 RAM16gb Corsair Dominator 1866mhz GPU MSI GTX 780 Lightning CaseThermaltake Level 10 GT StorageSamsung pro 128gb, 2x WD Velociraptor 500 in RAID 0, WD Cavair Green 2tb PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 850W Display LG 29EA93

Hello everybody,

Maybe I'm going to get a smaller system soon, but I was wondering if it's possible to fit an MSI 780 lightning in a mini ITX case? Not only because of its length, but also coz it take 2.5 slots with the GPU reactor on top and a thicker cooler, I'm not really sure...

Any advice or sugestions??

Greetz

Depends on case, in general without some minor alterations not likely.

What case specifically?

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)

Powered by a silverstone strider 500w psu in a NZXT 210.

We would need to know what case you are using.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

I didn't buy anything yet... Just thinking if it would be possible  :)

CPU I7 3960x Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X79 RAM16gb Corsair Dominator 1866mhz GPU MSI GTX 780 Lightning CaseThermaltake Level 10 GT StorageSamsung pro 128gb, 2x WD Velociraptor 500 in RAID 0, WD Cavair Green 2tb PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 850W Display LG 29EA93

i think that it would be possible in the 250D or the silverstone ft03 mini it should be possible in both of those but i am not for sure

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Possible, yes.

Worth it just to say you have a lightning card in a mitx system... probably not.

Riser cards would make you life easier if you don't mind relocation the pci-e cut outs on the back.

Otherwise look at cases and tell us what cases you were looking at.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)

Powered by a silverstone strider 500w psu in a NZXT 210.

i think that it would be possible in the 250D or the silverstone ft03 mini it should be possible in both of those but i am not for sure

Those are nice... I'm going to get a closer look at those...

I only didn't buy the new case yet btw... All the rest is already in my current rig...

Those are nice... I'm going to get a closer look at those...

I only didn't buy the new case yet btw... All the rest is already in my current rig...

yeah it depends what kind of case you want the design of the silverstone ft03 is a different design it is a vertical case rather than the 250D which is more of a standard itx case

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

You could get a table saw and take off the useless bits...

i like the way you think

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

i like the way you think

Not many people do, I just don't know why... :(

Not many people do, I just don't know why... :(

some people these days man

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Depends on the case, Node 304 will not take a 2.5 slot card, while mitx cases like the prodigy will.

• 2 months later...

Does the 250D fit the lightning? im worried about the With and the height of the card :/