1m+ Sub Youtube Channel suspended after being hacked, then restored, then deleted and no response from YT

WeeemRCB

Summary

Chase on Two Wheels, one of the biggest Motorbike / Motovlog YouTubers (1+m subs) has their account deleted following it being hacked and restored weeks ago 

Quotes

"ANOTHER DAY and channel is STILL DOWN! Can all of you retweet this and mention ANY large YouTube channels that do news stuff like PillyD or Keemstar.

YT is CLEARLY not giving a care about a freaking 1 mil sub channel so maybe they will care if a bigger channel gets talking!"

My thoughts

Chase has been a PG content creator for the last 10 years or so and YT is his main income.

He reached out to his YT partner who did initial investigation, but YT still hasn't done anything ... 10 days and counting since his channel was deleted.

If they can do this to a big YouTuber like him, who will be next?

Sources

https://twitter.com/C2Wtweets

Latest at the time of writing:  https://twitter.com/C2Wtweets/status/1335018175537287169?s=20

----------------------------
        Weem

Youtube has been trash for as long as I can remember unless you're literally the biggest Youtuber in the world and even then they are tip toeing around when you say something controversial and they want to fire your ass, but at the same time they are aware you're the biggest content creator there. As for the rest of peasants, they can't even be bothered. And it's all because they have an absolute monopoly and they just straight out don't care as people will still hang around even if this 1 million subs content creator is gone forever from this point. Monopoly is great isn't it?

Nov 18th : Hacked

https://twitter.com/C2Wtweets/status/1329054417165946881?s=20

YouTube channel hack Update (01) - Channel has multiple strikes now and can't post or live stream. This is good news so at least the terrible live streams that were happening are stopped. Will keep updated as much as possible.

Nov 20th : Restored

https://twitter.com/C2Wtweets/status/1329885492092006408?s=20

YouTube channel hack Update (07) - Official word from YouTube. The channel is back, strikes removed and deleted videos are there and ready to go. I'm still going to have to un-private all my videos before everything is normal again. Might do a live stream on the channel tonight.

Nov 25th: Channel Shut Down

https://twitter.com/C2Wtweets/status/1331595104499458049?s=20

Hey @TeamYouTube why are we doing this shit AGAIN?! We just got over the hack and we just gunna randomly shut my shit down?

Dec 3rd: Still down

https://twitter.com/C2Wtweets/status/1334468917335613441?s=20

Over a week now and channel is still down with no updates on when I could expect it backup. Feels like I’m living in a perpetual nightmare at this point.

Dec 5th : Still down

See #1 post

----------------------------
        Weem

I get that he is frustrated that his channel is down, but his tweets clearly show that he should stick to making comments on motorbikes and not anything involving computers. 

Remember, his channel was hijacked because he fucked up somehow. Someone got a hold of his password. If I had to guess, YouTube fixed the damage the hacker had done, then the hacker just logged in again using the same method as before and wrecked havok again, and YouTube shut the channel down again. Now they probably have to investigate a bit more instead of just having the channel go up and down over and over. 

That explains why they were so quick with restoring the channel the first time and are now taking their time.

Also is this really tech news? A single YouTube channel being compromised and terminated because of it, and we already know YouTube is looking into it.

I mean, would it be tech news if I got a keylogger on my pc and got my library membership blocked because of it too? 

-= Topic Moved to General Discussion =-

Topic does not meet the definition of Tech News.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

32 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Remember, his channel was hijacked because he fucked up somehow. Someone got a hold of his password. If I had to guess, YouTube fixed the damage the hacker had done, then the hacker just logged in again using the same method as before and wrecked havok again, and YouTube shut the channel down again. Now they probably have to investigate a bit more instead of just having the channel go up and down over and over. 

That explains why they were so quick with restoring the channel the first time and are now taking their time.

I actually thought a similar thing...that maybe they were investigating because he kept his password the same (or reset it to the compromised password)...or maybe they are investigating some other technical issue which caused his account to get compromised.  While I get that 10 days might be a long time for someone who relies on youtube, that's why you have backup plans or plans in place to prevent your entire income stream becoming dead...10 days as well might not be a lot of time as well if they are investigating an -actual- technical thing.

Actually if his computer is being used as a bot, and maybe that is how they got control of his computer...maybe they are investigating his channel and IP logs to determine what is going on.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The video he posted after the channel was back up the first time detailed how the attack happened; it was apparently a malicious email pretending to be a potential sponsor that took over one of the youtube account managers (somebody who's not Chase who has administrative access via their youtube account in the 'account/brand managers' section on youtube) who then wreaked havoc on his channel.  I wouldn't say Chase F--d up, he's just got to be a bit more selective with who he gives administrative access to the channel

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

Something similar happened to Keyboard Cat. After breaking and entering, the channel was initially used to stream a prerecorded loop of a Bitcoin scam. After which, the crims deleted some vids and changed the channel name altogether. After a month or more, everything was finally resorted - though not to it's original glory. Some vids were just gone, but most everything else remained in tact. I don't know that the channel was ever "deleted" per se, but it may have been terminated temporarily (if my memory serves me rightly that is).

This poor motovlogger might be able to scrape something back of his old channel, provided YouTube will work with him. I don't know if this is true or not, but I had read in a few places on the internet that when you delete your YouTube channel, there is a period of time where it appears to be deleted, but is fully intact on Google's end until that time expires and it is actually deleted. Once again, don't know if it's true, also don't know if it's something a different service does and I just got my wires crossed. But all I'm saying is there may be hope yet.