Why so much HATE on Razer Products

Friend has a razer kb+mouse.  They are more for looks rather than functionality.  They cost as much as the top build quality kb+mouse and don't have nearly as good.  To me, they seem like the apple of the gaming industry...

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Razer products are really cheap but they look good. I used to have an all razer setup, whats left is my mousepad and ouroboros. I used to have 2 mambas and a deathadder. They didn't break, but the rubber got sticky in like a few months. Horrid. My blackwidow spacebars equaliser broke off almost immediately too. 

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

Because they target performance users then the products fall to pieces.

Razer products are really cheap but they look good. I used to have an all razer setup, whats left is my mousepad and ouroboros. I used to have 2 mambas and a deathadder. They didn't break, but the rubber got sticky in like a few months. Horrid. My blackwidow spacebars equaliser broke off almost immediately too. 

Yep, the rubberized coating turned all gooey and sticky......yuck!  :angry:  I had a Razer mouse that did that to me, only other mouse with such rubberized coating that turned gooey was some POS mouse I'd gotten as a standby mouse.....I accepted it as it WAS cheap. Don't get me wrong, Razer KB's and mice, if sold at a fair bit lower than their present price, would present themselves as decent buy.....they're sold at a premium because they've sold themselves like hoes by employing great marketing skill (aka bullshit) to push their products as the 'gamers; choice'.

Just look at their latest keyboard, the BWU 2014 which uses cheaper 'Made in China' Kailh switches when compared to Cherry (NOT saying all things made in China are bad, mind you), yet I see NCIX selling the BWU 2014 at 150USD while the BWU 2013 (Cherry MX switches) is being sold at 140USD....does this make sense? Only reason for the higher price that I can think of, other than misleading consumers into believeing "hey, it costs more, so it must be better!" mindset, is to make even higher profits. Perhaps they have a valid reason for the higher price, like paying the marketing dept overtime as they have to work really hard to sell it..... :rolleyes:

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

My only experience with them was when I was still a peasant. I bought three of those Razer Xbox controllers, the Tournament Editions, one for me and the others for two friends. All three stopped working within months.

So in the end razer products lack in build quality

Alright then

Razer is out of my list

Thanks guys :)

they are also the only "high"end gaming periph xD. for mmo anyways.

I'm with @Dim here, their keyboards aren't that great but their mice aren't too bad. I got the DeathAdder 2013 only because it was one of the cheapest mice at my local computer store. I really like the mouse so far. But back to the original topic, I think people hate Razer in a similar way to why people hate Apple. They're concerned with looks rather than quality, at least they're not too expensive though. 

/\  _   /\

=( ಠ__ಠ )=

)         ( 

• 1 year later...

I currently just bought a 2014 black widow mechanical keyboard and paid 120 for it. Its the one with no backlight but has the number pads. I have had it for 2 days now and it seems quite alright. The keys feel kind of cheap compared to other mechanical keyboards but no problems. I also own a Razor Naga mouse from 2012 and it's still like i just bought it 3 years ago, very good mouse. I will report any problems if i have any with this keyboard on this thread but no problems so far. I was so impressed with the mouse that i thought why not and bought there keyboard to see if it holds up to the same quality, we will see. 

It's just like buying Apple products. They're excellent products that are sometimes better or much better than the competition, but this forum gives a lot of hate to people that buy them. If you came to this forum for objective opinions on product decisions, don't expect much. 

I also think its not fair for people to judge kailh switches just yet since it's way too early to give opinions on there switches. I know people harp on "China made" but if it's made in China it doesn't necessarily mean a bad product. When you look at German cars they are far less reliable then their Asian counterparts but have superior build quality. 

I've never had an issue with their products, i've owned 2x Lycosa keyboards, 1 Blackwidow Ultimate with Cherry MX Blue Switches, Lachesis mouse, a gen 1 Mamba, one of their original hard mouse pad surfaces and currently using a goliathus control edition mouse pad.

Only real issue I had with the Lycosas was the keys wore away fast, that sucked. Also I never bought these products retail, minus the Goliathus.. Everything I bought off mates, one had a tendency to upgrade every other month at one point, so I scored my first Lycosa, Lachesis, Mamba & hard mouse pad off him for a fraction of the RRP. Hell the Mamba was brand new since he got it as a replacement for an RMA, pretty sure I paid $50 for that when they were going for ~$150 that was back in 2010..

They make alright products, are they the best? No, but I find them reliable and durable for my needs, so i'm happy.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

i have been using my Ouroboros for the past 2 years and it still works as new.. I love it. I think they're a reliable company and thats why I went for it. 

Basically, they have a similar situation to Beats Audio. Beats got a large number of influences (musicians, producers, DJs etc) to use their products. Then (some) people will think "if XCelebrityhere thinks they're good, they can't be that bad", and thus purchase them. They tell other people, like their friends, who will be inclined to believe them. It also helps that most people purchasing them won't have had much (if any) experience with similarly priced stuff from Sennheiser or audio technica or what ever.

As I mentioned, Razer does the same thing. They send something like a Siren mic to streamers and youtubers, people will purchase it because a famous person uses it. They'll tell their friends, and they'll also have limited experience with high end stuff, hence forth, people start to like Razer's stuff.

Or at least that's my opinion. Particularly with the Siren and the fact it has a large obnoxious logo on the back...

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

one thing i do not seem to understand is

why nearly everyone on the forum seems to be hating/disliking razer products?

for example 

the razer 2014 keyboard

everyone just hates it? why? is it too expensive? copy past other cherry branded like duck shine 3?

AND

if everyone seems to hate razer products why i foud out that their products are the one who have more reviews and sold on amazon/newegg

am i missing something here? or everyone hates them and buys them at the same time?

corsair keyboards leds seems to be dead after a month or so on ALL their keyboards and no one seems to care

corsair headsets are just well crap

i like BOTH companies but reading the hate on the internet and on the forums made me change my mind on getting the new razer keyboards the 2014 edition

i personally never had a mechanical keyboard

so yeah what is your take on the hate on razer produts? agree/disagree or other opinion 

In my opinion its more the fact that it seems like most products take looks over quality. I do not own any razer stuff but that is purely because I dont like the way their stuff. Green does not match anything I have.

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Wow, another thread dig from the deep dark past.  I like when people don't realise the thread is more than a year old and just keep posting like it is totally relevant today.  I think that speaks volumes about human endearment traits and how we apply positive or negative emotional attachment to said products.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 1 year later...

When ever I look at Razer related posts on this forum I just see people that hate Razer and when ever I mention Razer everyone always beats me up for it (metaphorically). Many people say they don't last long and break after a few months of use but I have never had that problem. I think they make really quality peripherals and yes I know they are pricey but I don't really care but I don't understand why people say they are so bad when they aren't as bad as people say they are.

They're like Apple.

They make decent products, they're a bit pricey and they aren't the best but they're fine. The problem is that everyone thinks they're the best because they're Razer and they're expensive.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Not all products they make are bad, for example some of the mice are pretty good, and at the time of the Deathadder coming out it was one of the best on the market. However many other manufactures have stepped up their game like logitech, zowie to name a few so razer has been left behind.

Their keyboards aren't recommended here because there are usually a number of better options at every price point.

..Don't talk about audio. Just leave it alone.

7 minutes ago, GamerGuyEbby said:

Their build quality over the last 3 years has plummeted. Whether you personally experience it or not is irrelevant. It's all about sample size.

Their mice used to be quite good, but they stopped moving forward while others did, ex/ logitech and zowie.

Deathadder Chroma is amazing, I love it.

And that's about where my love for razer stops lol

Everything else they make, is found better elsewhere... Keyboards ? Corsair. Audio? Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, ect...

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Razer is an innovative company, but they are not known for their build quality and their products are overpriced.

The rubber grips on my Deathadder peeled off in less than or a year, ruining the shape of the mouse, making it impossible to use. I switch to a Logitech G502 without any problems. My friend's brother had a Deathadder and it broke in 4 months. He bought another one and it broke again. My friend had a Blackshark and it broke because he either removed or installed the mic, which somehow damaged the internals of the headset. Maybe you are just lucky that your Razer products don't break?

Their headphones aren't worth their price. They sound crappy and the mic sucks. Their mice are good, but they need better quality and more bang for your buck. My G502, which costs the same as the Deathadder, has more features and better build quality.

What I'm trying to say is that for the same price, you can get something much better that won't break.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

You talk about sample size. Where are your sources? From your own personal experience maybe?

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

i've a blackwidow, i thought it was awesome, but when i tried using other mech keyboards with cherry mx switches.  i realized razer switches FEEL SO DAMN CHEAP and plasticky

my deathadder 2013 is still doing well tho

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs