Brand New Pre-Calibrated Calman Verified Display Looks Way Off?

ThoriumEx

I just got an ASUS ProArt PA278QV 27”, which is supposedly pre-calibrated and calman verified, came with fancy documentation.

However the screen looked way off, it had a very noticable green/yellow tint.

After tweaking the settings it actually looks great, but I had to use (what I believe are) pretty extreme values on the color gain and offset.

Is this normal?

you're probably just used to very blue-ish color that computer monitors have

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

17 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Even if that's true (which I don't believe it is), the white on the monitor was clearly yellow compared to any real life white object I had.

I might be wrong but I'm assuming a good monitor shouldn't do that?

6 minutes ago, ThoriumEx said:

Even if that's true (which I don't believe it is), the white on the monitor was clearly yellow compared to any real life white object I had.

I might be wrong but I'm assuming a good monitor shouldn't do that?

This sounds really not ok. Got a couple pictures of it? Might have gotten messed up in shipping. I have multiple calibrated monitors and yeah a teeny tiny hint of yellow can be expected but it should barely if at all be noticeable.

48 minutes ago, jaslion said:

This sounds really not ok. Got a couple pictures of it? Might have gotten messed up in shipping. I have multiple calibrated monitors and yeah a teeny tiny hint of yellow can be expected but it should barely if at all be noticeable.

I've tried taking some pictures right now with my phone, but the screen is so bright that it changes the entire white balance of the photo and I can't seem to get a natural one.

But regardless I'm going to get this screen replaced (with the same model) since I just found a dead pixel.

We'll see if the replacment has the same tint or not.

Thanks for the help!

It was probably using a 'warm' color temperature.

The calibration was likely correct.

The other possibility was that it was indeed calibrated for print and, as mentioned above, ur used to a color temp closer to 6500 (bluer) which is used in the vast majority of displays intended for gaming browsing and like.

Art monitors designed for print usually aim for 5000, which is yellower. If this is designed for it then it may be set to 5000, or something lower than 6500.

it might also have been the blue light filter that can be enabled causing the issue. Disable it if its on.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Are you using the srgb color mode? According to Rtings that's supposed to be the factory calibrated mode and you should have a calibration report in the box.

Rtings also does mention "white balance is off due to the warm color temperature giving the image a reddish tint".

You can see the review here:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/proart-display-pa278qv

7 hours ago, SolarNova said:

It was probably using a 'warm' color temperature.

The calibration was likely correct.

The other possibility was that it was indeed calibrated for print and, as mentioned above, ur used to a color temp closer to 6500 (bluer) which is used in the vast majority of displays intended for gaming browsing and like.

Art monitors designed for print usually aim for 5000, which is yellower. If this is designed for it then it may be set to 5000, or something lower than 6500.

it might also have been the blue light filter that can be enabled causing the issue. Disable it if its on.

Color temp was set to 6500K on default, so it wasn't that.

Blue light filter is off of course.

7 hours ago, Gaires said:

Are you using the srgb color mode? According to Rtings that's supposed to be the factory calibrated mode and you should have a calibration report in the box.

Rtings also does mention "white balance is off due to the warm color temperature giving the image a reddish tint".

You can see the review here:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/proart-display-pa278qv

I do have a clibration report in the box, however I have very little clue on how to read it.

I've read that review (and others) before, mine was definitely not red in any way, it was mostly green.

I've tried all of the presets, they're obviously different from each other, mostly in brightness/contrast but slightly in color too.

However they all share (with various amounts) this green/yellow tint.

On 12/2/2020 at 3:05 AM, Letgomyleghoe said:

A little update if it interests you, I just installed my previous monitor back since I had to put the new one back in the box in order to get it replaced.

And I immediately noticed that the old monitor looks more blue even compared to the new monitor *after* my "color correction".

So it seems like I didn't over-tune the new one to the point where it looks too blue, otherwise the old monitor would have looked fine to me.

(Also as a side note, the difference in brightness, contrast, saturation, and sharpness is amazing)

Anyway, we'll see how the replacement monitor looks tomorrow.

Quoted myself instead of editing 

Edited by ThoriumEx

Update:

Just got the replacment monitor, it's immediately much much better!

I did tweak it to my personal taste but with very minimal changes from the default.

Trying to use the same settings I used on the first monitor looks absolutely ridiculous right now.

So I think it's safe to say I just got unlucky with the first one as it was defective.