Cross platform ... ... ... do "they" want it ?

oldSock

Good day everyone,

Summery:

In the Title "they" points to OS developers and Mobile OS developers. The post explores

the possibility of complete integration between platforms like Linux and Android and ask

the question if Microsoft and other CPU manufacturers will remain relevant and if they 

should consider cross platform in future.

Enjoy the read and i am looking forward to your responses.

i have been following the apple A1 evolution and from a developer's stand point I like what I see.

See this will give developers more tools as the future unfolds. Every mobile developer will tell you that phones can be really "interesting" when it comes to CPU, ram use and yes integrated storage does and do help. But if you read my past post you will know that i am trying to get android to become my main OS on my computer. Really a lot could have been done to make the transition less painful. 

That said, it is a lot easier to create polished software using tools that was primarily in the mobile toolbox. This means developers will now be able to get into the PC side of things a lot faster if this trend wash over to the PC platform. 

If any of you are Linux users you will notice that the Ubuntu is also spinning up a few new things but more on that when it is appropriate. But I will say this a lot of CPU GPU support does help so much not to mention the pure speed we can access at almost all times. 32Gb ram with a nice 4 to 6 core mid range CPU is really a great experience for the most part. But what will makes this better is when Android apps can be installed natively on Linux. That I believe will be the turning point for Linux.

Why?

Because Android has a lot of developer support and it is growing despite all the negative stuff... Once Ubuntu fully support android applications it will spell the end for Windows as so many specialized apps can preform tasks that use to be Windows only... I for one am really looking forward to this as I strongly think that Apple has seen the potential and as we all know what apple does others WILL follow. 

Seriously if Microsoft, AMD and Intel wants to remain relevant they really need to consider native Android support. If they don't then the future will be in Apple, Android and Linux. Not everything will be able to run from the cloud at all times. Yes running everything from a web browser IS possible the infrastructure on the end user's side needs to stabilize as end users will need cost effective internet at high speed. But even then encryption, compression and protocols still have some way to go. It will be possible and soon BUT simply put a lot still needs to happen especially in developing countries.  

So for any other developers reading this, what is your thoughts and concern? 

Do you think there are limitations on what can be run in a web browser?

What are your thoughts regarding Linux and Android compatibility?

Anyhow thank you all for reading

Be safe.

4 minutes ago, oldSock said:

Seriously if Microsoft, AMD and Intel wants to remain relevant they really need to consider native Android support.

Microsoft has already stated that they're planning to bring Android-apps to Windows.

5 minutes ago, oldSock said:

it will spell the end for Windows

You are utterly deluded.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You are utterly deluded.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's definitely far fetched.

Corporations will run on windows, even if MS continues dropping the ball, for decades.

It's a massive chicken and egg problem of software support, sunken investment, and training cost that I don't see changing any time soon.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

14 minutes ago, oldSock said:

Seriously if Microsoft, AMD and Intel wants to remain relevant they really need to consider native Android support

Lolwat? The only way Intel and AMD can offer Android support is if they create ARM SoCs. Everything else would be on Google's side to create support of these CPUs in Android, but we already have Chromebooks. 

As @WereCatfsaid, MS is already looking into Android support, but even if they weren't, why? There's nothing that can be done on Android that can't already be done natively in windows. I don't see how they would become irrelevant. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 minutes ago, oldSock said:

i am trying to get android to become my main OS on my computer.

This is my worst computer nightmare.

The worst part is that Microsoft seems determined to bring it to life. I mean, not android itself on PC, but the androidization of the desktop experience.

Cruel times. So much hardware progress, so much software decay.

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Lolwat? The only way Intel and AMD can offer Android support is if they create ARM SoCs.

There already are Intel-based Android-tablets and there are Chromebooks as well, so I don't even know how they could support Android more than they already do.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Lolwat? The only way Intel and AMD can offer Android support is if they create ARM SoCs. Everything else would be on Google's side to create support of these CPUs in Android, but we slresfy have Chromebooks. 

You do know that android works natively with x86, right? Most apps work flawlessly unless they make use of the NDK without a x86 version.

20 minutes ago, oldSock said:

So for any other developers reading this, what is your thoughts and concern? 

IMHO, that's an awful idea. The UX for mobile apps is entirely different from the usual UX of a desktop user, just see how badly iOS apps work (in the sense of usability) on MacOS as an example.

As a developer, I want the possibility of multitasking and rapid prototyping, something that's definitely not the focus on mobile devices where you have a single full screen app at any time.

As for the native android support, that's not that hard. Making a chroot into an android userspace on linux should be somewhat doable, there should be some projects based on that alreay.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 minutes ago, igormp said:

As for the native android support, that's not that hard. Making a chroot into an android userspace on linux should be somewhat doable, there should be some projects based on that alreay.

There's already Anbox for Linux that allows for running Android-apps there and Windows-side, they can basically just adapt what they've done with WSL to run Android-apps, so yeah, not particularly difficult.

10 minutes ago, igormp said:

The UX for mobile apps is entirely different from the usual UX

too bad Microsoft didn't get the memo then... 🤷🏼

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Cross platform

Ok I get that's not what you're going for but even what is usually understood as "cross platform" seems like a pipe dream, ie playing with people on other platforms, cross purchases, cross saves... all things that could be very easily implemented, but "they" actually don't want to, the negatives far outweigh the positives from a platform holders perspective, they, after all, worked hard for their "walled garden" to keep content [hostage] on their platform

I suppose it's not all that different when we look at "OS as platforms". No, 'they' don't want it, the only way to make them is by pressure of consumers and generally public, I believe! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Do you realize that Android for X86_X64 is a thing?

There are a lot of different releases like Lineage OS,Android-x86,OpenThos (supports linux applications as well),and more.

Also i can run Android applications on my PC no problems with an emulator (but remember that translation layers are always faster than emulators)

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Lolwat? The only way Intel and AMD can offer Android support is if they create ARM SoCs. Everything else would be on Google's side to create support of these CPUs in Android, but we already have Chromebooks. 

As @WereCatfsaid, MS is already looking into Android support, but even if they weren't, why? There's nothing that can be done on Android that can't already be done natively in windows. I don't see how they would become irrelevant. 

Gotta have more people playing shitty mobile games.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL