Ryzen 7 2700X vs 5 3600

Naspir

Hi everybody,

I'm currently building a budget photo/editing PC and have come across confusing benchmark results for the CPUs I'm considering. 

Some say the 2700X is better for editing by far for Premiere/Lightroom because of the 2 more cores, others show, that the 3600 is basically the same even with "only" 6 cores.

What I'm interested in is your guys' real experience in working with these 2 CPUs. Is the difference actually noticable? I'm more concerned about the actual working experience. I really don't care if rendering a video takes 2 more minutes.

FYI: For graphics I'm considering a GTX 1070.

Thank you guys!

Ryzen 2700x sits between the 3600 and 3700x part from the 2700x lacking pcie 4.0 if you can get cheaper then a 3600 do it. I just bought my 2700x new for 294

3600 is better as it has better architecture (zen 2) and is way more efficient.

Also 8 cores will go a long way then 6 cores seeing now as 8 cores are being used even with Ps5 and Xbox series x/s

1 minute ago, RyZen3200G said:

Not true fully it might be zen 2 but it's still a 6 core if you look at benchmarks 2700x it's about the same or better in gaming and when your using more heavy core depending applications the 2700x pulls ahead  

37 minutes ago, Kieran007 said:

Also 8 cores will go a long way then 6 cores seeing now as 8 cores are being used even with Ps5 and Xbox series x/s

34 minutes ago, Kieran007 said:

Not true fully it might be zen 2 but it's still a 6 core if you look at benchmarks 2700x it's about the same or better in gaming and when your using more heavy core depending applications the 2700x pulls ahead  

Having high core count does not promises good performance.
Look at xeons with higher core counts and check how they perform against newer CPUs with less Cores
Its all about IPC and arhitecture improvement how they handle instructions and how they perform work loads. 

Check the gaming benchmarks of both of these CPUs, they are almost identical. Infact the TDP on 2700x is higher (105W) as compare to ryzen 5 3600 which is 65W. 

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

1 hour ago, Kieran007 said:

56 minutes ago, Waqas409 said:

Having high core count does not promises good performance.
Look at xeons with higher core counts and check how they perform against newer CPUs with less Cores
Its all about IPC and arhitecture improvement how they handle instructions and how they perform work loads. 

Check the gaming benchmarks of both of these CPUs, they are almost identical. Infact the TDP on 2700x is higher (105W) as compare to ryzen 5 3600 which is 65W. 

1 hour ago, RyZen3200G said:

Thanks for all of your replies. One main difference that I have also seen is, that the 2700X supports 2933MHz RAM where the 3600 supports 3200Mhz. Do you guys think, this could make a difference? I also want my build as future proof as possible. Thats why I will go with an X570 board even with the 2700X. I guess I could even buy cheaper RAM and save some more bucks with the 2700X while having roughly the same performance?

I had to make this choice recently, i picked up a Ryzen 7 2700X instead of a Ryzen 5 3600, because the 2700X was cheaper in my area and in stock, unlike the 3rd and 4th Gen Ryzen CPUs. My Recommendation is get whatever is cheaper and in stock in your area.

I Smell The George Kush around here.