Help needed to upgrade my very old PC

Newbie_Gamerz
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
15 hours ago, suriya2210 said:

Will it be worthless to sell my old PC for parts? Because here many people are searching for replacement parts..... Even the old P4 I have for example....

Might as well try. The pc has no value for using it anymore so why not.

I know this is pointless but I really want to do this....

I have a very old PC which has an Intel D101GGC motherboard with ATI chipset and a Pentium 4 processor.... I need the best compatible CPU, GPU and RAM for this PC... Please reply soon

Replace it? Any money invested in this is wasted as this system is never gonna be more than a very slow office machine if it is even good enough for that anymore.

Is this a for fun project maybe? If so we need more specs than a motherboard

The absolute best CPU would be a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4GHz, but that would be an insane amount of money. Your best bet is just to find any other 800 MHz LGA 775 Pentium 4 in an e-waste BIN and see if it works.

It uses DDR RAM rated up to 400 MHz, so, again, e-waste.

It has a PCI-E x16 slot, so RTX 3090 I guess.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, suriya2210 said:

Intel D101GGC

Some variants of this board support the Core 2 Quad Q6600 which is a huge upgrade,

The question is what chipset do you have?,check that with CPU-Z.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 11:11 PM, Vishera said:

Some variants of this board support the Core 2 Quad Q6600 which is a huge upgrade,

The question is what chipset do you have?,check that with CPU-Z.

The problem is the PC is not in use right now.... It takes so long to boot up and I think it is infected with virus..... If I open the browser, it crashes when loading a page..... And the PC still has the ancient IDE HDD and etc.... And for the chipset info you asked it's given in page 9 in the official manual....
Here is the link to it...
You can refer to other specifications you needed....
Sorry for the inconvenience bro.... Suggest better upgrades for this mobo....

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/3rd_Party/D101GGC/D101GGC_ProductGuide.pdf

On 11/29/2020 at 11:04 PM, jaslion said:

Replace it? Any money invested in this is wasted as this system is never gonna be more than a very slow office machine if it is even good enough for that anymore.

Is this a for fun project maybe? If so we need more specs than a motherboard

Yeah.... For fun and for editing documents, browsing, etc. overall it will be just a home use PC.... I have a laptop for gaming but I will be taking it to college..... My parents need this for the above purposes.... I'm not relying on my nearby tech support since they overkilled this PC with a RAM that is beyond the bandwith limit.... I need to upgrade the storage and the processor..... And a GPU maybe that is supported for this setup....

2 hours ago, suriya2210 said:

Yeah.... For fun and for editing documents, browsing, etc. overall it will be just a home use PC.... I have a laptop for gaming but I will be taking it to college..... My parents need this for the above purposes.... I'm not relying on my nearby tech support since they overkilled this PC with a RAM that is beyond the bandwith limit.... I need to upgrade the storage and the processor..... And a GPU maybe that is supported for this setup....

Where are you located? Apologies if you’ve already said. If you’re in the US, it might cost a little more, but it would be much more cost effective to but an Optiplex 390 off of eBay for $80 or so. A Pentium 4 won’t get you anywhere in 2020. Spend a little more now or your parents spend a lot more later IMO. 

Hell, even an Optiplex 780 SFF that can be found locally for under $50 in the US would be better. Most sellers will try to pair it with a BS monitor and e-waste peripherals so they can slap a $100 price tag on it, but if you find someone selling just the PC and can talk them under $40 for a working unit with a 250GB HDD and at least 4GB of RAM, taking it the rest of the way should cost about $20.

But at that point, why not just buy the 390? IMO, nothing you can do to ancient hardware will be as effective or as value-friendly as a 390 SFF with 8GB of RAM and a 250GB+ HDD or SSD.

8 hours ago, suriya2210 said:

It won't work for that. It is simply too old. It's either going to be beyond slow, just not work or give hardware unsupported errors. It's far beyond it's use nowadays and it simply needs to be replace. A used i5 office dell would be an amazing cheap replacement (especially with a cheap ssd in it) but this p4 machine is simply not up to the tasks you want it too do no matter how simple they are.

The upgrades will literally cost more than the machine is worth and probably be on par price wise as a 20x better dell i5 office machine. Even max upgrades it will still be a big pile of crap that would barely be able to run word if at all. Just windows 10 would be a big feat for it

16 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Where are you located? Apologies if you’ve already said. If you’re in the US, it might cost a little more, but it would be much more cost effective to but an Optiplex 390 off of eBay for $80 or so. A Pentium 4 won’t get you anywhere in 2020. Spend a little more now or your parents spend a lot more later IMO. 

Hell, even an Optiplex 780 SFF that can be found locally for under $50 in the US would be better. Most sellers will try to pair it with a BS monitor and e-waste peripherals so they can slap a $100 price tag on it, but if you find someone selling just the PC and can talk them under $40 for a working unit with a 250GB HDD and at least 4GB of RAM, taking it the rest of the way should cost about $20.

But at that point, why not just buy the 390? IMO, nothing you can do to ancient hardware will be as effective or as value-friendly as a 390 SFF with 8GB of RAM and a 250GB+ HDD or SSD.

I live in India and it seems Optiplex 390 isn't available anywhere here. Plus, Ebay stopped indians from buying/selling IDK why......

10 hours ago, jaslion said:

It won't work for that. It is simply too old. It's either going to be beyond slow, just not work or give hardware unsupported errors. It's far beyond it's use nowadays and it simply needs to be replace. A used i5 office dell would be an amazing cheap replacement (especially with a cheap ssd in it) but this p4 machine is simply not up to the tasks you want it too do no matter how simple they are.

The upgrades will literally cost more than the machine is worth and probably be on par price wise as a 20x better dell i5 office machine. Even max upgrades it will still be a big pile of crap that would barely be able to run word if at all. Just windows 10 would be a big feat for it

Will it be worthless to sell my old PC for parts? Because here many people are searching for replacement parts..... Even the old P4 I have for example....

15 hours ago, suriya2210 said:

Might as well try. The pc has no value for using it anymore so why not.

On 12/12/2020 at 2:21 AM, suriya2210 said:

Can't speak to the Indian marketplace, sorry. If you're replacing it, can't hurt to try.