In the market for a 27" Monitor

m1n1h4mm3rd

I've had a 24" LG e2441v monitor for almost 2 years and I'm looking to upgrade to a 27". Preferably something by Samsung, Asus or AOC.

Preferred secs:

27"

120Hz

1920x1080

Matte-finish screen

Can anyone recommend anything that they know is good? Thanks heaps in advance!

Madness can be a medicine for the modern world.

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Why 120hz?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I have a Samsung, it's pretty nice. It's their business model though so I don't believe it has speakers and it doesn't have HDMI.

I think they come in other configurations though.

It's S27C650.

It's not 120hz, though it goes up to 68? I think.
I don't think it'll be a huge issue with the card you have though, if you're playing current titles.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Benq XL2720T or its successor the Benq XL2720Z

I have the T version my self, and its awesome. It is a tn panel though, as is any 120Hz monitor, but it offers a lot of customization with colour profiles, emulating different screen sizes, acting as a usb hub, etc.

I'd recommend waiting for a G-Sync version though, if thats a factor for you.

You can check out Linus' unboxing of the 2420TE version, as its a very similar product.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

What is your budget?

Ignore price as a factor, I've learnt not to give myself a budget until I know roughly what to look for. :)   Sorry for the late reply.

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Why 120hz?

Forgive me if this makes me sound newbish, but I'd like one that can display more than 60-70fps once I upgrade my GPU. I'm comparing my current 60Hz to my brother's 120, and good god mine feels more and more hideous.

Sorry for the late reply.

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Forgive me if this makes me sound newbish, but I'd like one that can display more than 60-70fps once I upgrade my GPU. I'm comparing my current 60Hz to my brother's 120, and good god mine feels more and more hideous.

Sorry for the late reply.

Are you sure the feeling was from the change in refresh rate and not the change in the look of the panel itself?

Try a blind test with your brother's display at let him set different frequencies to see if you could even tell the difference. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Are you sure the feeling was from the change in refresh rate and not the change in the look of the panel itself?

Try a blind test with your brother's display at let him set different frequencies to see if you could even tell the difference. 

Update:

His refresh rate was turned back down to 60Hz and straight away the 'choppiness' (for lack of a better word) was clearly visible with cursor movement. 

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Update:

His refresh rate was turned back down to 60Hz and straight away the 'choppiness' (for lack of a better word) was clearly visible with cursor movement. 

That's pretty much it thought for me. I only notice a smoother cursor for the most part.

What about for actual gaming? Have you used a nice IPS panel before?