Questions About Hardline Cooling

Hello everyone. I have a few questions about hardline liquid cooling. I have built and torn down multiple computers in the past, both high end and low end. I have been in the pc spectrum for quite a few years now, and I think I am finally going to build a hardline liquid cooled pc next year since it seems that new cpus and gpus will not be available until then. Is Corsair's custom cooling any good? I have seen videos about them and some reviews, but I was wondering on how they compare to EK's cooling solutions. I also noticed that there are quite a few different sizes of fittings and tube size that can be used. What sizes would y'all recommend? My last question is which pump to use. Are there multiple types of Asatek pumps that work better in certain situations? The pc that I would be building would have a Ryzen 9 5900x and an rtx 3080 (or whatever Nvidia makes that replaces it if they do decide to). Thanks! 

47 minutes ago, Rams_ECE said:

Hello everyone. I have a few questions about hardline liquid cooling. I have built and torn down multiple computers in the past, both high end and low end. I have been in the pc spectrum for quite a few years now, and I think I am finally going to build a hardline liquid cooled pc next year since it seems that new cpus and gpus will not be available until then. Is Corsair's custom cooling any good? I have seen videos about them and some reviews, but I was wondering on how they compare to EK's cooling solutions. I also noticed that there are quite a few different sizes of fittings and tube size that can be used. What sizes would y'all recommend? My last question is which pump to use. Are there multiple types of Asatek pumps that work better in certain situations? The pc that I would be building would have a Ryzen 9 5900x and an rtx 3080 (or whatever Nvidia makes that replaces it if they do decide to). Thanks! 

yes, the corsair hydro x s really good, but the ek is more versatile, some certain gpu waterblock are only found in ek, but I'd pick corsair anyways. I love them, and there rgb actually looks nice

My information is that Corsair at least used to source their stuff FROM ek.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

My information is that Corsair at least used to source their stuff FROM ek.

Corsair has never and also currently does not source any EK parts.

Fittings - Bitspower

Radiators - HardwareLabs

Coolant - Mayhems

Blocks - Original

3 hours ago, For Science! said:

Corsair has never and also currently does not source any EK parts.

Fittings - Bitspower

Radiators - HardwareLabs

Coolant - Mayhems

Blocks - Original

Well where did I hear that then? GN video? Thought it was EK they were at. It was some factory tour before covid. Some dude at the factory said something and GNSteve translated it as they made parts for Corsair.  Would be something he’d follow up though and I don’t catch every GN video or always watch them all the way through.  Might have contradicted it later.  Would have added that but at the time all I could remember was that it came off a GN video.  Sleeping on it helped. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Well where did I hear that then? GN video? Thought it was EK they were at. It was some factory tour before covid. Some dude at the factory said something and GNSteve translated it as they made parts for Corsair.  Would be something he’d follow up though and I don’t catch every GN video or always watch them all the way through.  Might have contradicted it later.  Would have added that but at the time all I could remember was that it came off a GN video.  Sleeping on it helped. 

I don’t know where you got your information from or whether you simply misremembered. I do not recall GN making such claims, so I think you just got confused with perhaps another product line. Here is one source supporting my claims anyhow.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/dominic-moass/computex-2019-corsairs-hydro-x-custom-liquid-cooling-range-has-officially-launched/

These radiators have been made by Corsair in cooperation with HardwareLabs. Corsair is also providing both soft and hardline tubing options, a variety of fittings in different colours that are designed in collaboration with Bitspower, as well as XL5 coolant – currently available in clear, red, green, blue and purple colours – that is a result of cooperation between Corsair and Mayhems.

14 hours ago, Rams_ECE said:

I would prefer EK generally over Corsair, I think their blocks and pump reservoir (basically the two things that they themselves produce) are a bit lacklustre. For EK, as long as you avoid the SE radiators, you generally can’t go wrong. 

tubing size only matters for looks so choose what you like. Asetek pumps are not used in custom loops, and you should be looking into D5 or DDC from Xylem/Laing (all companies just whack their brand on top of this). I would recommend a D5. 

The corsair water cooling stuff looks ugly IMO. Considering that custom loops are largely for aesthetics (yes, there are some minimal performance benefits over air cooling, and certainly quieter), I'd go EK all day everyday. I do have that Corsair D5 pump res combo in my older build but meh, not impressed with their stuff in general.

Lian Li O11  Dynamic XL  | Ryzen 9 5900X (on pre-order) | ASUS ROG Strix X570 E | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600 64GB (4x16GB)| ADATA SX8 M.2 1TB | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD| Samsung 850 Evo 2TB SSD| EVGA HX 850W | EK D5 PWM Pump | EK Quantum Distro Plate | EK Lignum CPU Block | Manjaro Gnome Edition

Personal Website

26 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I don’t know where you got your information from or whether you simply misremembered. I do not recall GN making such claims, so I think you just got confused with perhaps another product line. Here is one source supporting my claims anyhow.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/dominic-moass/computex-2019-corsairs-hydro-x-custom-liquid-cooling-range-has-officially-launched/

Well I told you where I got it.  To prove it I’d have to run through I don’t know how many old GN videos which I don’t feel like doing.  I don’t know how many watercooling manufacturers got toured or which ones.  If it was bitspower our info matches up. I still think it was EK, but I’m not 100% anymore after your statement.

It also rests on something some dude in the factory said.  I don’t remember if that person was even on camera.  My memory is the shot was pointing at an assembly line at the time it was mentioned. 

the link is April 2019 which would be months after the video was released and therefore more time before the video was taken. Things change over time.  What is happening now matters a lot more than what was happening then at any rate, and the guy was talking about time previous to then.