5.1.2 vs 7.1 speaker setup for very small room

tuunade98

hi Everyone,

So my room is fairly small, about 3.6m x 2.92m(L x W) and am just wondering what would be the better speaker setup for me for dolby atmos. I'm using a denon x2700h. I currently have my speakers setup as 7.1 right now as shown in below screen(the black circles are my current speaker setup and positions). They are pretty much setup exactly as shown in below screenshot(not drawn to scale). Yes the front left and front right are in the very front corners of my room. The surround left and surround right are in the very back corners.

If I were to go to a 5.1.2 setup how exactly would I place the top middle speakers? As per dolby's guidelines it should be inline with the front left and front right speakers, but because my room is so small would this be ideal? Instead as shown in below screenshot(the red circles), I'am thinking of placing it as shown. 

In a 5.1.2 setup I will be moving the surround back left and surround back right speakers to the ceiling like shown in below screenshot.

What do you guys think, because of my very small room should I just keep my current setup? or try 5.1.2?

image.png.e4a9086a24306b804186ac49dd3ec515.png

Yes that’s what I’m going to do if I go 5.1.2. But would it be better then 7.1 given how small my room is?? I’m typically sitting 1.3m give or take away from center speaker. Otherwise I’m all the way back in the surround left corner. This is my bedroom/computer room.

33 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

Yes that’s what I’m going to do if I go 5.1.2. But would it be better then 7.1 given how small my room is?? I’m typically sitting 1.3m give or take away from center speaker. Otherwise I’m all the way back in the surround left corner. This is my bedroom/computer room.

yes then you would get a fuller immersion of sound. 

your 7.1 has all outside area. its ok but with using 2 on ceiling you get more overhead sounds like a plane going over. instead of rear then front sound

5.1.2 is more immersive than 7.1.

Especially since based on your drawing your surround speakers are not even in the right locations.

And you really should have the front of the room on the shorter wall.