Lots of CPU, which is better?

Chiyawa

There are so many CPU (or in this case, I should say SoC) in the market today. So which one should I pick?

The things that I required:

Gaming, including running emulators. need a SoC with good GPU as I'm playing some quite intensive games like Trials Fusion on Android

I also played Mindustry.

Watching videos. (Youtube mostly).

Surfing website. (Using Firefox for Android)

I use lots of image app like Deviant Art and Imgur

Wi-Fi AX is a big bonus.

I don't really care for 5G, but if it supports, then okay

4G band 5 if it supports, would be great. (I think this is purely from manufacturer?)

I usually go for Snapdragon 800 series, I guess those SoC offers the best (at least in Qualcomm)? Is there any other SoC with close to the specs I'm looking for?

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Id pick the phone you want, not the soc. The performance between higher end phones is pretty similar, and all can handle those workloads pretty easily. The other sad thing for andriod phones is for high end soc, the snap dragon 800 series is your only real option. 

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id pick the phone you want, not the soc. The performance between higher end phones is pretty similar, and all can handle those workloads pretty easily. The other sad thing for andriod phones is for high end soc, the snap dragon 800 series is your only real option. 

Yes, but the problem is well, it's hard for me to narrow down my searches. GSM arena do offer a good search tool, but I'm stuck with chipset.

Also, I saw there's Kirin, Helio, Exynos, Dimensity? Well, I mean, are any of this good?

Also, I found that Snapdragons now use Kyro cores instead of Cortex as well. So, is Kyro better than Cortex?

I can't seems to find Tegra...

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

8 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Yes, but the problem is well, it's hard for me to narrow down my searches. GSM arena do offer a good search tool, but I'm stuck with chipset.

Also, I saw there's Kirin, Helio, Exynos, Dimensity? Well, I mean, are any of this good?

Also, I found that Snapdragons now use Kyro cores instead of Cortex as well. So, is Kyro better than Cortex?

I can't seems to find Tegra...

Id really stop thinking about the soc and look more at the whole phone.

How much do you want to spend? 

What screen size do you want?

What other features do you value? 

Tegra is dead.

Mediatek Helio GXX or Snapdragon 7xx probably the best for the buck.

The gaming performance is on par with SD 8XX, but lower cpu clock for low power consumption = longer battery life.

Kryo Qualcom's derivative of ARM cortex.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id really stop thinking about the soc and look more at the whole phone.

How much do you want to spend? 

What screen size do you want?

What other features do you value? 

Hmm... I'm not sure how much of a budget I would put into this phone.

Screen size, I think quite literally all of them offer around 6.5 inch. I would like to go for 5.5 inch if possible. 200ppi seems good to me, but I wonder why many offer ppi above 250, which makes no sense because you can't really tell the difference except looking it through a microscope.

I don't really value other feature much, no need high fps refresh screen, though I would prefer IPS screen. It will be used mainly indoors, so it's okay.

Don't care for RAM, but I do like if I can expand my storage through micro SD cards (and it seems not many offer that option on their flagship phones).

13 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Tegra is dead.

Mediatek Helio GXX or Snapdragon 7xx probably the best for the buck.

The gaming performance is on par with SD 8XX, but lower cpu clock for low power consumption = longer battery life.

Kryo Qualcom's derivative of ARM cortex.

Oh dear, Tegra is dead? Huh, I just read that nVidia is acquiring ARM foundation. I thought Tegra doing so well that they bought the whole ARM foundation.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll be looking into it.

16 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Oh dear, Tegra is dead? Huh, I just read that nVidia is acquiring ARM foundation. I thought Tegra doing so well that they bought the whole ARM foundation.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll be looking into it.

The dead tegra might not be related to the ARM acquisition.

Tegra is good for the time, it had the best performing mobile gpu.

The problem with high performance is power draw which is too high for a mobile devices to endure.

Well it's not exactly dead, it still around in tv boxes (shield) where the power consumption is not an issue.

The reason why nvidia is buying arm is simple : it's the best selling cpu architecture in the world.

All mobile cpu is using it, even AMD has the licence, so practically all (except Intel) mobile semiconductors companies is paying the licence fee.

Huawei Kirin, Mediatek helio, Apple A / M1, Snapdragon all using arm cortex as the base design.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

The problem with high performance is power draw which is too high for a mobile devices to endure.

Well it's not exactly dead, it still around in tv boxes (shield) where the power consumption is not an issue.

The reason why nvidia is buying arm is simple : it's the best selling cpu architecture in the world.

All mobile cpu is using it, even AMD has the licence, so practically all (except Intel) mobile semiconductors companies is paying the licence fee.

Huawei Kirin, Mediatek helio, Apple A / M1, Snapdragon all using arm cortex as the base design.

I see. I'm not into smartphones environment, so I have no clue. The time I left smart phone field is that Windows Phone 8 is a thing, and Nokia still producing Lumia before Microsoft takes over. I really love my Lumia 525 as it is not the super fast phone, but at that time, it is quite practical. If it wasn't for Whatsapp stop supporting Whatsapp for Windows Phone, I would still be using it.

Oh, that's interesting. So Mediatek uses Helio. Hmm... If I recall, last time they don't have a 'distinct' name.

4 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Oh, that's interesting. So Mediatek uses Helio. Hmm... If I recall, last time they don't have a 'distinct' name.

Yeah, helio is their new brand name, usually they put something confusing like MTXXX, hard to remember.

Before they were a super budget chipset, low performance, "as long as it runs", with helio they step up their game competing with mid tiers SD.

In fact, I'm using it right now (Redmi Note 8 Pro), never had any problems like their pre-helio chipset where there were incompabities here and there.

18 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Apple doesn’t use the Arm Cortex as a base. They build their own cores from the ground up, and license the ARM ISA. It would be fairer to call them Apple cores that happen to be ARM compatible. 

There were a few other fully-custom ARM-compatible designs (Qualcomm’s Scorpion, Krait, original Kryo, and Samsung’s M series of cores), though I don’t know any still in use today outside Apple. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 11/26/2020 at 11:47 PM, Chiyawa said:

There are so many CPU (or in this case, I should say SoC) in the market today. So which one should I pick?

The things that I required:

Gaming, including running emulators. need a SoC with good GPU as I'm playing some quite intensive games like Trials Fusion on Android

I also played Mindustry.

Watching videos. (Youtube mostly).

Surfing website. (Using Firefox for Android)

I use lots of image app like Deviant Art and Imgur

Wi-Fi AX is a big bonus.

I don't really care for 5G, but if it supports, then okay

4G band 5 if it supports, would be great. (I think this is purely from manufacturer?)

I usually go for Snapdragon 800 series, I guess those SoC offers the best (at least in Qualcomm)? Is there any other SoC with close to the specs I'm looking for?

S10e?

Samsung Galaxy S10e - Full phone specifications (gsmarena.com)

A bit older but checks pretty much every box you're looking at and is on the smaller side. Plus it's been a solid phone for those that have it within my family, and one of the few Samsungs I don't mind recommending for price to performance ratio.

On 11/27/2020 at 8:07 PM, huilun02 said:

But completely pointless if you dont have an accompanying Wifi 6/AX router

Indeed, but I do have a router. This will help a bit if I'm transferring files to and from my NAS or home server. AC is fast, but with AX that will be a huge bonus.

Doesnt matter. You are in Malaysia. One of the many sane countries that only use GSM networks

Yeah, true. But if I'm not mistaken, WeBe uses band 5, and it is only supported on a few phone last time. By the way, is WeBe still a thing?

Looks like you are after a small phone. Prepare to accept unexceptional battery life, if that has been a concern for you.

Indeed. but anyway, this phone is mostly use for entertainment purposes and rarely use for important communications. Battery life also are not of high concern as I'm using power bank.

Why your preference for an IPS screen? You dont like OLED screens?

I don't really have a preferences, actually, but I haven't use an OLED display phone before.

On 11/29/2020 at 7:24 AM, Stylized_Violence said:

S10e?

Samsung Galaxy S10e - Full phone specifications (gsmarena.com)

A bit older but checks pretty much every box you're looking at and is on the smaller side. Plus it's been a solid phone for those that have it within my family, and one of the few Samsungs I don't mind recommending for price to performance ratio.

Hmm... Looks not bad. Okay, will consider it in my list. Thanks for your recommendation.

On 11/28/2020 at 7:53 AM, Zodiark1593 said:

Apple doesn’t use the Arm Cortex as a base. They build their own cores from the ground up, and license the ARM ISA. It would be fairer to call them Apple cores that happen to be ARM compatible. 

There were a few other fully-custom ARM-compatible designs (Qualcomm’s Scorpion, Krait, original Kryo, and Samsung’s M series of cores), though I don’t know any still in use today outside Apple. 

Hmm... Interesting. I think I heard about that, but they still based on Cortex Cores if what I heard is right. They build their own processor from ground up, but they still have to rely the architecture from somewhere else since developing a new CPU cores from zero is a bit of a stretch and quite time consuming.

Yeah, talk about Krait, I heard they were the rage at one point.

On 11/29/2020 at 5:59 PM, Chiyawa said:

Hmm... Interesting. I think I heard about that, but they still based on Cortex Cores if what I heard is right. They build their own processor from ground up, but they still have to rely the architecture from somewhere else since developing a new CPU cores from zero is a bit of a stretch and quite time consuming.

Yeah, talk about Krait, I heard they were the rage at one point.

Apple has the funds and talent pool to develop their own cores, arguably, even more so than ARM itself. The Apple A6 was Apple’s maiden voyage for their custom designs, though it was the A7 that Apple went highly aggressive on their CPU designs (quite notably, most high end mobile CPUs of the time were 2-wide and 3-wide in regards to the front-end, while Apple went 6-wide, which ARM itself didn’t offer at the time). Should take a peek at some of Anandtech’s deep dives of the Apple A7 and later SoCs. There’s a lot of detail there. 

Krait was used from the Snapdragon S4 days all the way to the Snapdragon 805. 

Edited by Zodiark1593
Edited for a bit more detail

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Apple has the funds and talent pool to develop their own cores, arguably, even more so than ARM itself. The Apple A6 was Apple’s maiden voyage for their custom designs, though it was the A7 that Apple went highly aggressive on their CPU designs (quite notably, most high end mobile CPUs of the time were 2-wide and 3-wide, while Apple went 6-wide, which ARM itself didn’t offer at the time). Should take a peek at some of Anandtech’s deep dives of the Apple A7 and later SoCs. There’s a lot of detail there. 

Krait was used from the Snapdragon S4 days all the way to the Snapdragon 805. 

Hmm. Okay. Thanks for the info.