What is the silliest argument you have heard against PC gaming?

Jerakl

"I like using a controller more" Thats not ignorant that's just personal preference. If the person says something like "controllers are more accurate than kb/m" than it would be

What I heard a few time are

"graphics on pc are just not that great compared to console" The person who told me this (a friend of mine) just launch game on the pc without changing the graphical settings so he always ended up playing in like 800x600 with low settings

"the kb/m mouse is not that great/not comfortable etc" while this is personal preference I am adding this because they use this argument to say that gaming on pc is bad when you can in fact play with a controller on almost every new game.

"every pc gamers are pirates"

NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | Asus Z87-A (don't ask why I have a Z mobo with a non k cpu, have my reasons)| Intel Core i7 4770 | XGIMATEK Dark Knight II| 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 120GB SKHynix | 2tb WD Green | Gigabyte GTX 770 OC | OCZ 750W ZT | Logitech DiNovo Edge | Logitech G602

"Consoles are better cus u get to sit on the couch"

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

"I like using a controller more" Thats not ignorant that's just personal preference. If the person says something like "controllers are more accurate than kb/m" than it would be

What I heard a few time are

"graphics on pc are just not that great compared to console" The person who told me this (a friend of mine) just launch game on the pc without changing the graphical settings so he always ended up playing in like 800x600 with low settings

"the kb/m mouse is not that great/not comfortable etc" while this is personal preference I am adding this because they use this argument to say that gaming on pc is bad when you can in fact play with a controller on almost every new game.

"every pc gamers are pirates"

It's still ignorant because you can use any controller on PC, people think it's just keyboard and mouse. I understand if people prefer a controller, but it's not a reason not to play games on PC, just plug one in and use one just like a console. People don't know that for some reason. A couple days ago I saw a Titanfall graphics comparison between Xbox One and PC online and you can tell the PC version looked better. But then someone pointed out that the PC version had Xbox Controls. Then he said "This isn't Xbox One vs PC, this is Xbox 360 vs Xbox one look at the controls!" 

Q3VssHZ.jpg

It's sad but true, I can't tell you how many times I brought up steam when talking with people, and had them say "what's Steam?" I promise

most of my friends who own a console arnt idiots

the only reason they stick with a console are two valid reasons

1.their friends have consoles

2.insert and play (no fiddling)

Unless there are mandatory patches and updates to install, some of which take up more space than the game itself. Oh wait.

That gaming PCs aren't for gaming because they could also be used for running TurboTax - By reddits /r/gaming moderators

By the logic one could also argue consoles aren't for gaming because they also run family-friendly entertainment apps - like Netflix and YouTube. :D

People puzzle me with their complaints. I've got a story about someone buying the wrong ink cartridges, but that's not on topic for this thread - unless you guys want to hear it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

My friend's response to getting a PC for gaming. 

"I mean a 360 is essentially just a really powerful PC that's designed for gaming and a computer just isn't"

It took a lot of will power not to say anything because at heart I enjoy consoles more.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

"Consoles have more exclusives."

"Consoles have better exclusives."

"Call of Duty isn't even good on PC."

"I paid less money. (buys 10 $60 titles and online subscription)"

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I can relate, i'm the only one who built a gaming rig to exit the dark age of peasantry, my friends, console peasants who argue non stop about xbox vs PS3 have no single idea about what runs what on a console, can't differentiate a GTX Titan from a 8400GS, a pentium 3 from a 4770k, can't even differentiate between a CD reader & a DVD burner.

When i almost finished my build, i was waiting for my R9 290, so i told some friends & they were like you're paying 450$ for a graphics card ? what are you insane ?

The best feeling after that ? When they saw NFS Rivals in glorious 120fps (BF4 was still beta). They were so jelly that they started to throw random arguments like : well you can't drive with a keyboard & a mouse. I said okay, so what about BF4 in glorious 60fps in ultra ? Oh OOOOOH SORRY you don't even know what 1080p looks like, or what fps refers to. I lost three friends that day, totally worth it.

Needless to say, never try to even argue with them. Show them your bigass custom loop, & prepare the bread for some jelly. Works every time.

You can always use a controller with need for speed! :D

1. No mouse and keyboard support

Ah, the very raison d'être of PC gaming. Well, guess what? Not everyone wants to play games posturing like Rick Wakeman. The joypad has been gradually refined over 20 years into the finely-honed gaming tool you see today. Pressing digital keys to move? How very 1982.

2. Playing on TV

While the PC might happily spew forth images consisting of a quadrillion pixels, the real issue here is that with a console you're playing on a nice big TV in the living groom on a comfy sofa and, if you have any sense, with a 5.1 Surround Sound system. If we wanted to slouch at a desk in a dimly-lit room we'd just stay at work.

3. It just works

Oh, how we console owners point and chuckle at PC websites where the incumbent expert attempts to explain to some poor sap that his three-month old (and thus obsolete) quad-AMD 3000 and Nvidia Orgasmo-card won't actually run Generic FPS 10 because it's got driver 1.1 instead of 1.1a. Try this: go to shop, buy game, insert disc, game runs. Bliss.

4. No need for endless upgrades

Yes, the PC is hugely upgradeable - and a bloody good job, too, otherwise you'd never get to play all those games built with cutting edge technology by crazy Scandinavian ex-demo hackers. And anyway, a console is upgradeable: when the next Xbox or PlayStation comes out, we sell the old one and buy a new one. Easy.

5. Cheaper hardware

We've heard all the arguments and excuses. Face it: if you really want a decent PC to play games (and no we don't want to build one ourselves) prices start around £500. And if you want to play games at any sort of quality, your (sigh) 'rig' is more like a grand. For that you could buy all three consoles, extra controllers and the top 10 games of the year.

6. The big 'p'

The PC is gradually becoming the ginger step-child of the developer community. Even stalwarts like Valve are moving to consoles because, let's be honest, piracy is eroding the PC world from within like a mercilessly enthusiastic cancer. It's becoming less and less viable for developers whose budgets are spiralling ever upwards. Recently the World of Goo developer suggested piracy of his game was at a rate of about 90 per cent. That shit just ain't funny any more.

7. The Japanese

They may not be to everyone's taste, but PC gamers do miss out on a whole raft of amazing games crafted by genius Japanese developers whose focus is mainly consoles. Crazy stuff like Patapon, Katamari, Okami, Vib Ribbon, PaRappa... not to mention hordes of amazing JRPGs.

8. No first-party support

Because the PC is an open platform, there's no ownership and therefore no desire to drive it forward. Microsoft is way too busy with the Xbox to bother about Games For Windows, and so we either get the biggest games first with PC ports following months after, or we get exclusives that never appear on PC at all. Still, at least you have, y'know, Crysis. And Crysis 2.

9. The lack of patch mentality

Okay, we'll admit it - console games do get patched, but infrequently and not to any great extent. Truth is that, for the majority of console titles, when we buy our games from the shop they're actually finished. Which is nice.

10. Innovation, innovation, innovation

It's true that, when it gets it right, PC gaming is awesome; beautiful, high-res, online fragfests. But when was the last time you played something truly innovative? Just look around you at the games coming to consoles. You may mock the Wii, but when was the last time you had a drunken four-player tennis match in your PC games room?

11. Four-player family fun

Yes, we know PCs have been online for years, but what if you want to interact with people you actually know in the comfort of your own home? Apart from the aforementioned Wii activities, there are great quiz games like SceneIt! And Buzz, endless Mario Party games, dance mat games, Eye Toy games, karaoke games... the list goes on and on.

12. Perception

Have you ever seen that episode of South Park where the kids are playing World of Warcraft? You know the fat, pale, pizza-faced guy with the wrist support slouched in his chair? That's you that is. You are a PC gamer.

[Averykindguy241]

"The world is a nice place out there and you should spend some time in it instead of gaming."

Oh ok yes there are some people out there but .... :S

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I can relate, i'm the only one who built a gaming rig to exit the dark age of peasantry, my friends, console peasants who argue non stop about xbox vs PS3 have no single idea about what runs what on a console, can't differentiate a GTX Titan from a 8400GS, a pentium 3 from a 4770k, can't even differentiate between a CD reader & a DVD burner.

When i almost finished my build, i was waiting for my R9 290, so i told some friends & they were like you're paying 450$ for a graphics card ? what are you insane ?

The best feeling after that ? When they saw NFS Rivals in glorious 120fps (BF4 was still beta). They were so jelly that they started to throw random arguments like : well you can't drive with a keyboard & a mouse. I said okay, so what about BF4 in glorious 60fps in ultra ? Oh OOOOOH SORRY you don't even know what 1080p looks like, or what fps refers to. I lost three friends that day, totally worth it.

Needless to say, never try to even argue with them. Show them your bigass custom loop, & prepare the bread for some jelly. Works every time.

^ This.

Also - "You can't drive with a keyb+mouse" lol > (pulls controller from under desk and plugs it in)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

what you said went here - here are my counters

1. No mouse and keyboard support

Plugs in 360 controller and launches big picture mode....

2. Playing on TV

sits on sofa, gaming laptop plugged into tv, with 360 controller....

3. It just works

goes to shop, installs game from disc, clicks play, / downloads via digital download (like psn/live) installs and plays

4. No need for endless upgrades

my 4 year old desktop still plays bf4 on ultra......when i upgrade i can still play games form 15 years ago, i now have a ps1, ps2, ps3, and ps4, vita - because of no backwards compatability

5. Cheaper hardware

you can easily build or buy reasonable priced pcs, - i counter cheaper hardware with cheaper games, very few pc games cost what console games cost + steam sales GOG etc

6. The big 'p'

there is piracy on consoles remember those hack cartridges and modded ps2 and stuff?

7. The Japanese

good point, personally no interested in those + i can still buy a console if i want - surely you have a pc for doing work on? why not fit a graphics card for cheaper than a ps4 and play games.

8. No first-party support

consoles have very few first party games, most are developed by 3rd parties and have the same issues- -care to eloborate?

9. The lack of patch mentality

im calling bull on this - turns my ps3 on yesterday, i did an update (whcih took about 20 minutes) then my game updated, another 5 minutes, then slow launch time and time to match maker

10. Innovation, innovation, innovation

occulus rift? and since when did the xbox/ps innovate? same controller since the 90s

you have a point here, but the whole scene of coop is dissapearing, even on consoles , sad times.

12. Perception

perception of the console gamer, chav with a backwards hat, with no education and cant afford anything good (ok i made that up and was harsh

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not sure if this has been posted yet, at least not my take anyway. So basically some console gamers throw the argument of "You need to upgrade every 2 years to play the latest games". WRONG!

With the latest advancements and the potential of mantle (And other APIs) a gaming PC built to match or exceed the PS4/Xbox ONE today could potentially still run the same games at the same settings for many years. I see no reason why they cannot match the graphics output of the current gen consoles for the next 5 years easily.

You would only need to upgrade if you want to play the latest games at quality HIGHER than the consoles. Its totally optional and based on the savings from bundles and generally cheaper PC games you would save enough money to buy a new graphics card at basically no loss vs buying the same games on console. Hope that makes sense.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

NFS Rivals in glorious 120fps

This does not exist.

This does not exist.

It does at 100fps :) It also handles 60fps flawlessly while recording.

I can also double the rendered image to 4K and still keep an average of 48fps.

Its only limited to 30fps if your limited in the knowledge to unlock it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It does at 100fps :) It also handles 60fps flawlessly while recording.

I can also double the rendered image to 4K and still keep an average of 48fps.

Its only limited to 30fps if your limited in the knowledge to unlock it.

So there is a proper fix now? When it launched the fix had the issue of doubling the game speed, I didn't check up on it after that I just passed on the game.

So there is a proper fix now? When it launched the fix had the issue of doubling the game speed, I didn't check up on it after that I just passed on the game.

Yep

Shortcut Additions

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60.0

Rivals also has Resolution scaling like BF4, the command for that is "-Render.ResolutionScale X" (from 1.0 to 2.0)

^Performance intensive 2.0 = 1920x1080 x2 = 4K rendered output

Yep

Ok so you have to pick a framerate the PC can maintain? It is still direcly related to the game engine speed?

TBH if someone is looking to unlock the framerate chances are their PC can hold 60 but still, do you experience any random slowdowns while playing?

@Askew

Whatever setting you choose (48fps) the sync rate must be the exact same.

Setting whatever you PC can handle yes. 60/60, 50/50, 31/31

Even 33fps/33sync-rate is 10x times better visually than 30/30 IMO, so much smoother although you'd never think such a small increase would do so much.

"Years ago, people just want GTA IV for their pc's... Rockstar has listen to them and make gta iv pc version... after that, their going to hate rockstar because (for them) gta iv on pc wasn't what they expect... now they don't deserve gta V!!!!"

LOL!!!!!!!

COD should have stopped a long time ago by that logic.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Yes, we know PCs have been online for years, but what if you want to interact with people you actually know in the comfort of your own home? Apart from the aforementioned Wii activities, there are great quiz games like SceneIt! And Buzz, endless Mario Party games, dance mat games, Eye Toy games, karaoke games... the list goes on and on.

This --http://youtu.be/ytJcw6jIdqA

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

So I was browsing through my older posts and found this:

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/rockstar-games-dont-make-a-pc-version-of-gta-v#share

On the third page of "latest reasons" I found this:

PC gamer are people who just sit on their ass, downloading mods easily and cheating with console commands, while us Console Gamer are paying a lot of money for this sh*t and is actually working HARD to get these mods and the PC people just don't give a sh*t because they can't afford a F*cking Console.

This almost sounds like an argument for pc gaming? lol. I mean we download mods that make the games more realistic and better much easier and don't have to pay a ton of money for it, And by his argument pc gaming is cheaper too. Some one needed to sit there and read their argument against pc gaming to make sure it didn't sound like it was actually for pc gaming.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Don't forget those speds that don't know that a console is a computer... Well it is.

Yep

Shortcut Additions

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60.0

Rivals also has Resolution scaling like BF4, the command for that is "-Render.ResolutionScale X" (from 1.0 to 2.0)

^Performance intensive 2.0 = 1920x1080 x2 = 4K rendered output

Just thought I'd point out that 1920x1080 x2 is not 4k rendered output. 1080 has ~2 million pixels where as 4k has over 8 million pixels therefore the scale would be closer to x4. :P

the worst one i always heir is i like to use a controller and sit in my living room.  how do they not know that you can use a pc in the living room and plug a controller into a pc.

This almost sounds like an argument for pc gaming? lol. I mean we download mods that make the games more realistic and better much easier and don't have to pay a ton of money for it, And by his argument pc gaming is cheaper too. Some one needed to sit there and read their argument against pc gaming to make sure it didn't sound like it was actually for pc gaming.

Yeah, if you look at it that way.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)