Maybe I made a mistake

amdin

Hola,

I bought Asus B550-F (wifi), Asus RTX3070 DUAL 8GB, Transcend 1TB M.2 NVME and also AMD 3700X.
The mistake is that I thought I can count on my 4-5 years old PSU which is a semi-modular Antec NE650M.
When I looked at the MOBO power connections and the 3070 power connections I thought maybe I don't have the required connections (I do have all the cables that came with it).

Do you think I will be able to connect everything? because as far as I know I'm in lack of some cables.

Thank you.

P.S: I also have this message on PcPartPicker: 

•  Note:The Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Antec NeoECO Classic 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

Why not just buy a quality PSU?  What's wrong with that idea?

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Why not just buy a quality PSU?  What's wrong with that idea?

I'm on a budget so that's the reason

technically that extra 4 pin is not required, but I fear you may run into erratic issues with that setup, a better psu would be best

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

you only need to use the 8 pin cpu power, the 4 pin supplemental cpu power isn't necessary especially with that processor. I am somewhat concerned that the 3070 may be a bit much for your older psu though, especially with how spikey power usage of nvidia's new cards can be

3 minutes ago, amdin said:

I'd take the time to save up just a little bit more then. The PSU isn't something you want to take short-cuts with.

2 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

technically that extra 4 pin is not required, but I fear you may run into erratic issues with that setup, a better psu would be best

Can you please explain more?

Just now, Arrogath said:

you only need to use the 8 pin cpu power, the 4 pin supplemental cpu power isn't necessary especially with that processor. I am somewhat concerned that the 3070 may be a bit much for your older psu though, especially with how spikey power usage of nvidia's new cards can be

If I do find a cable, is it ok to just connect it ?

Just now, Windows7ge said:

I'd take the time to save up just a little bit more then. The PSU isn't something you want to take short-cuts with.

Is that really a problem?

1 minute ago, amdin said:

Psu failure can fry components...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

8 minutes ago, amdin said:

But yet you have $700+ for a graphics card.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

But yet you have $700+ for a graphics card.

Thanks man.

2 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Psu failure can fry components...

What do you think of this one: CoolerMaster MWE 750W V2 80+ Bronze ?

If the PSU doesn't have sufficient PCI_e connectors for the GPU then it's a gamble. They do make Molex adapters but there's no guarantee that would work well over a long period of time if the PSU get's maxed out. A single 3070 shouldn't be a massive issue but it has been reported to spike in power and that could trigger over current protection on PSU's that otherwise look to be sufficient.

Now if you are just short the motherboards extra 4-pin you can ignore that. It's for "extreme overclocking" (kind of a gimmick).

Just now, amdin said:

What do you think of this one: CoolerMaster MWE 750W V2 80+ Bronze ?

That's even worse than your Antec.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

If the PSU doesn't have sufficient PCI_e connectors for the GPU then it's a gamble. They do make Molex adapters but there's no guarantee that would work well over a long period of time if the PSU get's maxed out. A single 3070 shouldn't be a massive issue but it has been reported to spike in power and that could trigger over current protection on PSU's that otherwise look to be sufficient.

Now if you are just short the motherboards extra 4-pin you can ignore that. It's for "extreme overclocking" (kind of a gimmick).

I'm not going to overclock at all and I have all the cables so I guess I can use one for the mobo, but I not sure it will be fine

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

What are the things I should look for? How to choose one?

so I guess I can use one for the mobo

...are you talking about the 6 & 6+2 connectors? CPU EPS 4 & 4+4 connectors are pinned/keyed differently. You cannot use a 6+2 for the CPU or EPS for a GPU.

4 minutes ago, amdin said:

What are the things I should look for? How to choose one?

This one should be capable. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6Y66Mp/corsair-rm-2019-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020195-na There's a psu tier list pinned in the psu section of the forum https://linustechtips.com/forum/21-power-supplies/

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Can't understand this list, How can I know what tier is my system?

the tiers are about psu quality, how well it performs to it's claimed rating in proper operating conditions, not your system components.

Methodology and details can be found here but you may have to do some homework to make sense of it.

As mentioned rtx 3000 series has power spike issues, these can trigger safety features on a psu (system shut down) so better to err a little high on wattage

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

the tiers are about psu quality, how well it performs to it's claimed rating in proper operating conditions, not your system components.

Methodology and details can be found here but you may have to do some homework to make sense of it.

As mentioned rtx 3000 series has power spike issues, these can trigger safety features on a psu (system shut down) so better to err a little high on wattage

Ok let me ask you that question: If my 4-5 years old PSU was new one, would it be fine to use with this build?
Another question: Does Antec EarthWatts GOLD PRO 750W would be fine?

Ok let me ask you that question: If my 4-5 years old PSU was new one, would it be fine to use with this build?

If built to the same quality and design standards, no.

Another question: Does Antec EarthWatts GOLD PRO 750W would be fine?

Checked a couple reviews, looks competent

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

If built to the same quality and design standards, no.

NOPE......

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's at least LLC+DC-DC compared to the Neo Eco Modular's group reg.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

47 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

EarthWatts Gold is much better than NeoECO.

17 minutes ago, Elisis said:

It's at least LLC+DC-DC compared to the Neo Eco Modular's group reg.

Topology vs. component quality.  Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I mean.. there's crappy Gold units with cheap MOSFETs blowing up in higher percentage than group regulated Bronze units in the "real world", so.....