Maybe I made a mistake

amdin
2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I mean.. there's crappy Gold units with cheap MOSFETs blowing up in higher percentage than group regulated Bronze units in the "real world", so.....

Budget PSUs, yup.... 

Crap is crap in the end..... 🤣

Some of those older Bronze group regulated PSUs were pretty solid.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

9 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Topology vs. component quality.  Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

How exactly is the component quality poor? I'm not challenging this or anything, I just have never heard of anything component quality issues for this specific platform.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

1 hour ago, Ankerson said:

NOPE......

49 minutes ago, Elisis said:

It's at least LLC+DC-DC compared to the Neo Eco Modular's group reg.

29 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

EarthWatts Gold is much better than NeoECO.

Topology vs. component quality.  Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I mean.. there's crappy Gold units with cheap MOSFETs blowing up in higher percentage than group regulated Bronze units in the "real world", so.....

So now I see that my psu came with 1 x 8(4+4)-pin ATX12V/EPS12V connector, isn;t that good?

33 minutes ago, Elisis said:

How exactly is the component quality poor? I'm not challenging this or anything, I just have never heard of anything component quality issues for this specific platform.

Unfortunately, most reviewer's just look at capacitors.  Tolerances of more critical components can vary a lot more. 

15 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Unfortunately, most reviewer's just look at capacitors.  Tolerances of more critical components can vary a lot more. 

But do you have examples of the components that are of lesser quality on the MWE Bronze v2's platform?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

1 hour ago, Elisis said:

But do you have examples of the components that are of lesser quality on the MWE Bronze v2's platform?

I'm afraid so.  But these differences fall on deaf ears.  Half of the "tier A" PSUs would be shoved down to tier B or tier C if anyone actually applied practical experience to the PSU.

11 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I'm afraid so.  But these differences fall on deaf ears.  Half of the "tier A" PSUs would be shoved down to tier B or tier C if anyone actually applied practical experience to the PSU.

Well you could always go through the list and X out the ones that need to be moved for them.

But the likelihood of anything really happening would be?

I have a feeling that a lot of them would be those Xed out that are recommended a lot here on the forum...

Since the total basis of recommendations seem to be solely based on pricing for the most part from what I have seen.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

46 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Could you share these differences (and the units you're mentioning), then? I, at least, would be very willing to hear them in order to improve the list, as I'm sure the others would.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

16 hours ago, Elisis said:

Could you share these differences (and the units you're mentioning), then? I, at least, would be very willing to hear them in order to improve the list, as I'm sure the others would.

Let's just say that, while on paper many components look like they do the same thing, when put into practice, that's far from the truth and they tend to fail at a higher magnitude.

Let's put it this way.. I would rather have a group regulated PSU with a LiteOn bridge diode on a heatsink and Infineon MOSFETs than an LLC with an HY-group diode without a heatsink and a bunch of crappy Champion and/or Jilin-Sino MOSFETs.

On 11/25/2020 at 6:47 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Let's just say that, while on paper many components look like they do the same thing, when put into practice, that's far from the truth and they tend to fail at a higher magnitude.

Let's put it this way.. I would rather have a group regulated PSU with a LiteOn bridge diode on a heatsink and Infineon MOSFETs than an LLC with an HY-group diode without a heatsink and a bunch of crappy Champion and/or Jilin-Sino MOSFETs.

Come on now, such answers are waaaaay too specific to help people that aren't experts like you, Jon 😭. All this is telling us is "the NeoECO is better than the MWE Bronze v2".

But it doesn't tell us :
what type of system would do fine with the NeoECO

- what type of system should NOT be paired with the NeoECO

what type of system would do fine with the MWE Bronze v2

- what type of system should NOT be paired with the MWE Bronze v2

- anything practical about the rest of the tier list

In my humble opinion, the best way you can prevent non-experts (in other words, anyone other than you on this forum) from making invalid PSU recommandations is to go the Buildzoid route : rambling videos.

I would personally LOVE to watch a video from you discussing the tier list, telling us for example :

"I keep seeing people recommanding this PSU for 3080 systems, but it won't work, [insert detailed technical stuff here]. Therefore you can't have it on the same tier as the RMx and above. Same issue with the [insert PSU name], after a year or two you'll see people complaining about failures, that's because [insert OEM name] chose to save 50 cents on the [insert components here], which won't be able to withstand [insert technical stuff here] in the long run". Et caetera, Et caetera... 

No editing effort, no need to prove your statements with advanced testing nor published results, just a free flow discussion that allows people who trust your expertise/honesty to know what to recommand and what to avoid.

You could keep the videos semi-confidential (sharing it with handpicked individuals), this way you don't get any kind of backlash from partners/competitors from the industry that wouldn't appreciate you openly criticizing their units.

Until then, all we ignorant people can do is recommand units based on the little info we have...

7 minutes ago, electropical said:

Come on now, such answers are waaaaay too specific to help people that aren't experts like you, Jon

I asked him to go into detail about it. He's not just doing so for shits and giggles.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

6 hours ago, Elisis said:

I asked him to go into detail about it. He's not just doing so for shits and giggles.

Thank you for the condescending comment.

Your original question :

On 11/25/2020 at 3:20 AM, jonnyGURU said:

On 11/25/2020 at 4:08 AM, Elisis said:

As for what I meant by "specific" :

Spoiler

specific.png.a0a0feb5b3741501e5f8185fb0d9f94a.png

8 hours ago, electropical said:

Come on now, such answers are waaaaay too specific to help people that aren't experts like you, Jon 😭. All this is telling us is "the NeoECO is better than the MWE Bronze v2".

I was responding to Elisis.  Which is why I quoted Elisis.

At the end of the day, I'd say neither PSU because one is an old topology and the other is cheaply made.  But that's just me.