Losing passion for video games and it seems impossible to regain it

code99
7 minutes ago, fpo said:

I'm just not a huge fan of fighting games.
Super Smash Bros is the only fun one, but all fighting games just aren't fun when anyone is good at the game. When everyone sucks, it's a great time. But when someone practices it's just boring for everyone else because they literally cannot do anything.

Defiantly agree, generally don’t play fighting games but aside from smash I think tekken is the easiest to pick up. 

I played Arkham Knight and found it lackluster. The graphics were phenominal. Probably the best of any game I've ever played. Just... the combat didn't feel engaging nor satisfying & the car was pretty floaty & basic. Not really fleshed out. I think I played like 6 missions & got bored.

Have you played Asylum and City? A lot of games appeal is the storylines and bringing together everything at the end of the trilogy, especially with all the DLC missions which are 100% worth it. You could probably get away with just City and Knight though. 

The combat depends how you go about it, personally I really enjoy the stealth route when you can take it and when you get good at the brawls it can be fairly engaging to rack up over 100x combos. The car is the car, it’s not great but it’s not bad enough to severely harm the game. Personally felt I was breaking the game most of the time using the turret mode for better manoeuvring and breaking. 

Also agree the graphics are still amazing especially with PhysX cranked. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

7 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Defiantly agree, generally don’t play fighting games but aside from smash I think tekken is the easiest to pick up. 

I think I played it once in college. Played for maybe an hour at most. Y'know when you have like 20 people in a common room in college & doing controller hand-offs and just not caring too much

Have you played Asylum and City? A lot of games appeal is the storylines and bringing together everything at the end of the trilogy, especially with all the DLC missions which are 100% worth it. You could probably get away with just City and Knight though. 

I played the demo of Asylum way back in the day. Looked cool & the stealth was fun, just didn't buy it. I borrowed city & it was okay. I guess Knight just felt like too much of the same. I didn't have any emotional connection to any of the characters, & had no idea who anyone was besides batman & gordon & alfred & a few of the bad guys.

The combat depends how you go about it, personally I really enjoy the stealth route when you can take it and when you get good at the brawls it can be fairly engaging to rack up over 100x combos. The car is the car, it’s not great but it’s not bad enough to severely harm the game. Personally felt I was breaking the game most of the time using the turret mode for better manoeuvring and breaking. 

Yeah, I hardly played it so... I basically just did the tutorial & a few missions after.

Also agree the graphics are still amazing especially with PhysX cranked. 

I played with an AMD card & was blown away. I can't imagine PhysX.

I'm in phases (42) but most of my life it has been more about tweaking and pushing hardware.  Occasionally I'll play something I enjoy.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

Haven't read everything but....

As a hardcore gamer that started off with the Vic 20, C-64, Atari and a system BEFORE the Atari, it was a motorcycle game with grips on the console from the arcade (School bus jump).

You get older. Lost interest for a while until my Son was born in the mid 90's, my passion came back strong as ever for many, many years!

Now he's in his twentys and guess what, I'm nearly 50 and its lights out for gaming.

It happens.

** Here on the West Coast USA **

I'm 43 now and went through the same thing. My last PC was a Phenom II 955BE and GTX 560Ti if that tells you how long it's been. I started to get the itch, but didn't want to invest in a PC I would need to play the games I wanted, so I bought an X Box. I never could get into it like I did with PC gaming. I finally broke down when the itch started getting stronger. I now have a 3600x and 5600xt rig that I happily game on every day. Maybe your love for gaming will come back, maybe it won't. Just don't force it.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:33 AM, code99 said:

The title is totally stolen from another post, elsewhere on the web :)

This is more of a personal issue than anything else but at this point im not sure what i should do.

Im 30 years old and i've been a pc gamer my entire life. I always thought that gaming will be part of my life for as long as im alive or close to it.

Gaming was always my passion.

Lately however, for the past year or so in fact, i noticed that my will to play games has diminished. Most noticable is the amount of games that I have started but not finished. I never did this in the past, i've always finished my games, in fact i would finish them multiple times depending on the game.

This loss of will to play games was gradual. I became aware of it several months ago and ive tried to take steps to counter act it. 

One of the things i tried was to upgrade my pc. I was running on an outdate pc, i couldnt play the latest AAA titles at acceptable frame rates, etc. 

So i decided to finally build myself a trully high end gaming system in hopes that with the new system i would re-ignite my passion for games.

Recently i built my dream pc, RTX 3080 TUF, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 32 GB RAM, etc.  I finally have my first high end system, capable of playing anything out there at my 2k resolution monitor.

First thing i did was, download and install all the games i couldnt play before, all the games i really wanted to play, thinking i would lose myself in them.

But, here i am, looking at my desktop and wondering wtf should i do.

I tried forcing myself to play. I would launch a game that i know i like and while i didnt hate the experience, i was playing for the sake of playing and eventually just quitting and i was back at the desktop again.

Ive had this issue in the past as well but often times it would go away  in a week time (tops).

Its been several months now and its getting worse by the day.

One other reason i built this pc was because of Cyberpunk 2077. At the moment im crazy for it. I cant wait to play it. The hype is REAL!

However, im afraid that when the time comes and i can finally play that game, i will run into the same issue. I will play the game for a couple of days and then start loosing interest in it .... 

The problem is, i dont have another hobby other than Airsoft (but sadly, there is no way for me to practice that sport where i live). I love movies, i would watch movies all day but ive already done that, i ran out of things i want to watch ... 

Has anyone here had a similar issue? 

If yes, did you eventually recover from it? How?

Any ideas, suggestions? Anything? 

I am 2 years younger than you and I have the same issue. Although I realized my issue was I have played too many multiplayer PvP games over the course of the past 20 years and I have played a few to very little singleplayer games. I just started getting more and more into singleplayer games. If I do play a multiplayer game it is an older one like Left 4 Dead 2 or Call of Duty 4 on PC. Maybe your issue is the kind of games you are playing and or the lack of variety. 

It's natural to become less excited, to become a little jaded and cynical. 

It makes it harder to lose yourself in a game world with the same youthful attitude and spirit you did when you were 20.

I've been gaming for nearly 38 years, on every machine that has ever been released, and I still enjoy games because I play in moderation, look for engaging stories, and don't force it.

If i don't play today it doesn't even register. 

Tomorrow i might get on, or maybe i won't. 

Then again, i might load up Metro Exodus or AC:Origins or The Witcher 3 and spend 3 or 4 hours just enjoying the world.

Basically, OP, don't force it and if you find you aren't as interested anymore then that's fine too.

My personal attitude is I am unlikely to get bored of movies and grow out of them, ditto reading a good book, so why would I do it with gaming?

It's an engaging, visceral piece of media that i can interact with in ways i can with no other medium. 

That's what keeps me coming back.

10 hours ago, code99 said:

I agree with you, i should be doing something else atm. 

I know what i want to do, its my dream activity/hobby. I've already done it in the past for a short bit and i love it, i would give up gaming for it.

Airsoft.

I can afford doing it, its pretty expensive sport BUT its 2020!

I cant do it because of lockdown. Even if i could do it, sadly, i live in an area where this sport is kinda dead. There used to be some clubs in my area but they all disbanded in time.

Idk what else to do, never liked classic sports like soccer or anything like that ... 

Ive had a rough time trying to find a different hobby other than gaming tbh

Well, I've also been there. Interests and priorities may change, evolve - it's a given, getting older :)

For the past 5-7 years I guess I played just a few games, or at least started them. Sometimes it feels like a commitment, since I know I need at least an hour or two of uninterrupted gameplay, and some 'ambience' to go with it (and probably more days to finish). I keep tabs on interesting games, and usually only go for it when I know I'm 'mentally' ready and have time. Otherwise, there are always other 'hobbies' to do.

Some that might work for you:

- Workout. If you are already doing it, then switch things up, try new discipline.

- Something like bouldering, hiking, running or just walking and listening to a nice podcast :)

- Martial Arts, like boxing which do not require a partner. It might be hard when you don't have access to a boxing gym, may be there are online coaching via zoom these days lol
- Musical instrument of your choice or learning any other art, science or whatever ;) 

12 hours ago, fpo said:

I think I played it once in college. Played for maybe an hour at most. Y'know when you have like 20 people in a common room in college & doing controller hand-offs and just not caring too much

Yeah fair enough

12 hours ago, fpo said:

I played the demo of Asylum way back in the day. Looked cool & the stealth was fun, just didn't buy it. I borrowed city & it was okay. I guess Knight just felt like too much of the same. I didn't have any emotional connection to any of the characters, & had no idea who anyone was besides batman & gordon & alfred & a few of the bad guys.

Damn you should just watch the animated series ;) best cartoon series ever made

12 hours ago, fpo said:

Yeah, I hardly played it so... I basically just did the tutorial & a few missions after.

I played with an AMD card & was blown away. I can't imagine PhysX.

Ah so you didn’t get that far into the story, I’ve actually stayed with nvidia mainly due to PhysX in some of the games I’ve played a lot, Arkham being one and Borderlands 2 being the other. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

I'm 22 now and probably lost interest in most games four or five years ago. I have maybe one or two games I play occasionally on PC but that's about it. There was one exception to this and that was RDR2. It's the only gave I've truly enjoyed and been excited for over the past half of a decade and one that I played constantly for hours on end until completion during the lockdown here. My only regret is playing through it too quickly and spoiling the ending slightly for myself by reading how the honour system works on the wiki The page has story spoilers without saying so don't do this if you don't want to be spoiled.

I find that I'm much more interested in board games and video games that are more social with local multiplayer these days. I no longer really get enjoyment from playing games on my own or online for extended periods of time unless its with people I already know. Games where I'm interacting with people irl are a lot more enjoyable for me.

I think for a lot of people its not just about their interests changing over time (although I think mine certainly did) but also their needs and desires changing too. I need things to be a lot more social now than I did when I was younger.

I think also as we get older our standards and expectations increase a lot and we get much more selective in the content we consume. I feel like this is how it was for me with RDR2, there are some issues with that game for sure but it was truly an amazing experience and one I thoroughly enjoyed.

30 years old here, i still enjoy games just that i have a lot of other things to do, by the time i have done them i have time for video games again.

I am thinking those burned out on it were escaping into video games rather than enjoying.

Video games are not a passion, it should be a hobby unless you are creating them and making a living doing so.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

Bruh I know but did you try to avoid online games and also avoid connecting ur wifi... Then try games on PC

Online games almost ruins the fun... Try it :)

It sounds to me like the lockdown has caused you to have way too much time on your hands. 

Whenever I find myself having tons of free time and just playing games, watching movies, and whatnot all day long (I'm a freelancer so I go through periods where there's little work), it just starts to get boring. 

My suggestion to you is, get more stuff to keep you busy. Exercise more, take online classes to learn new skills, get a freelance gig, etc. When you do that, the free time you have for video games will feel a lot more precious and enjoyable because you'll never have too much of it.

And if that doesn't work and you've really gotten bored of video games for good... well, who cares? They're just games, after all. Find something else that makes you happy and enjoy your life. :)

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 11/25/2020 at 12:15 PM, code99 said:

Game quality has gone down in the past few years. A lot of games nowdays are copy paste type games. All feel the same, all generic, nothing innovating, nothing really exciting.

And yes, ps4 got some of the best titles released in the past few years, titles that pc gamers cant play. I dont like consoles, never have, never will so i guess unless some ports are made i will never be able to play those games. ...

Have you tried playing some JRPGS? I was in the same spot as you're currently in. One day, I decided to play some JRPGS since I never played any JRPG game before.

I found the Shin Megami Tensei Mainline series to be fun with the dark setting/story. While there aren't any mainline SMT games for PC there is Persona 4 (a SMT spin-off series) on steam, I can't really say much about the game itself but people seem to love the game.

Edited by Alexmuffinton

On 11/25/2020 at 6:15 PM, code99 said:

Game quality has gone down in the past few years. A lot of games nowdays are copy paste type games. All feel the same, all generic, nothing innovating, nothing really exciting.

GTA Grand Theft Auto trilogy then and now GTA v for PS3, PS4 PS5 Playstation

I'm 28, and was really into PC games as a kid but gradually lost interest over the years. These days I barely ever play them. If your interests are changing, then just let them. Nothing wrong with that. Games are great as a diversion from life, but they can't replace it.