Wi-Fi on Ethernet only device

JohnB17
Go to solution Solved by JohnB17,

Mark this thread as closed.

I have found my solution, I used this tutorial to use my raspberry pi as a wifi bridge.
https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-wifi-bridge/

(I couldn't find a category that fit this)

I have Wi-Fi in my home like a lot of people do, but I have a computer I need to connect to my Wi-Fi because it is in a place where I can't string an Ethernet cable. The problem is that the computer is Ethernet only, no Wi-Fi. Is there a device I can get that will connect to my Wi-Fi to connect my Ethernet only pc to Wi-Fi?

Edited by JohnB17
I forgot to say why it is in general discussion

umm usb wifi card or a pcie wifi card

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 minutes ago, sub68 said:

umm usb wifi card or a pcie wifi card

Not supported, or at least it wouldn't work in my setup.

1 minute ago, JohnB17 said:

Not supported.

umm what is the computer?

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 minute ago, sub68 said:

umm what is the computer?

Optiplex 9020m with Linux. It does have a Wi-Fi adapter, it is just incompatible with linux.

Just now, JohnB17 said:

Optiplex 9020m with Linux. It does have a Wi-Fi adapter, it is just incompatible with linux.

I have had wifi adaptors work off linux before.

what distro are you using?

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Maybe try a powerline adaptor then? You should be able to run ethernet out of the computer and into the device, so drivers probably won't be an issue?

(I don't have any experience with this product, FYI, but it seems decently reviewed.)

https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Extender-TP-Link/dp/B084CZMYNM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=I14NWPLHJ8FD&dchild=1&keywords=powerline+ethernet+adapter&qid=1606072230&sprefix=powerline+%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-3

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Just now, FakeNSA said:

Maybe try a powerline adaptor then? You should be able to run ethernet out of the computer and into the device, so drivers probably won't be an issue?

(I don't have any experience with this product, FYI, but it seems decently reviewed.)

https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Extender-TP-Link/dp/B084CZMYNM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=I14NWPLHJ8FD&dchild=1&keywords=powerline+ethernet+adapter&qid=1606072230&sprefix=powerline+%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-3

I don't think this would work as I am using it as a server.

WiFi and Servers dont mix. You should look in to Moca adapters if you have coax ran to the correct locations. 

There are WiFi bridges out there, which take Ethernet devices and give them a WiFi connection. I cant speak for how well it will work. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, JohnB17 said:

If the room that your router is in is on the same circuit (for the electrical sockets), then it should be more stable than wifi?

Running a server off of wifi is generally not considered to be a good idea.

Alternatively, for stability's sake, would it be possible to host the server in the room where the router sits, and just access it remotely? It would probably be a better experience.

Just now, Donut417 said:

WiFi and Servers dont mix. You should look in to Moca adapters if you have coax ran to the correct locations. 

There are WiFi bridges out there, which take Ethernet devices and give them a WiFi connection. I cant speak for how well it will work. 

1. What is wrong with servers and WiFi? I have been running this server on WiFi for years (I had Windows Server 2019 installed, I was convinced to switch to linux)
  2. This computer is in a location where I can't run cables

I don't need it to be fast, I just need to find a way to hook it up to WiFi

What is wrong with servers and WiFi? I have been running this server on WiFi for years (I had Windows Server 2019 installed, I was convinced to switch to linux)

WiFi tends not to be that stable. Especially if your sending tons of data over it. 

2 minutes ago, JohnB17 said:

don't need it to be fast, I just need to find a way to hook it up to WiFi

Like I said your looking for a wireless bridge. Just check on Newegg or Amazon. They should hopefully have something. 

2 minutes ago, FakeNSA said:

If the room that your router is in is on the same circuit (for the electrical sockets), then it should be more stable than wifi?

Running a server off of wifi is generally not considered to be a good idea.

Alternatively, for stability's sake, would it be possible to host the server in the room where the router sits, and just access it remotely? It would probably be a better experience.

I had already been using it with WiFi when it had Windows Server on it, I was convinced to switch to linux and the room that has the router is in doesn't have a space to put it thats not in the way. It is in the same room as a bunch of documents and 2 computers.

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Like I said your looking for a wireless bridge. Just check on Newegg or Amazon. They should hopefully have something. 

I have tried looking for one of these, I only get wifi extenders and access points.

A USB WiFi, as far as I know, works on every PC, it's a 10$ experiment anyway. Ethernet over power is good, but it's 200$ on a good day. 

Just now, PeachGr said:

A USB WiFi, as far as I know, works on every PC, it's a 10$ experiment anyway. Ethernet over power is good, but it's 200$ on a good day. 

USB networking is crap at best. Plus the OP is using a Version of Linux I have never heard of. While Linux generally works with WiFi, only really the major distros. 

7 minutes ago, JohnB17 said:

I have tried looking for one of these, I only get wifi extenders and access points.

Have you thought about changing your router to a mesh style system? That would be a great way to solve the problem. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

USB networking is crap at best. 

*Me running my laptop from a Targus dock since it doesn't have native Ethernet. 👀* GeForce NOW seems to run happily at 1080P over the dock's Ethernet.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

21 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

*Me running my laptop from a Targus dock since it doesn't have native Ethernet. 👀* GeForce NOW seems to run happily at 1080P over the dock's Ethernet.

I run it on clients, and I haven't seen any problems. However, I wouldn't run it on a server, given the frequency of needing to play with wifi/ethernet adaptors to make it work (only about once a month, but still far too frequent for a server IMO).

24 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

@PeachGrsuggested USB WiFi. Which is SHIT. USB Ethernet does work, so I miss spoke but USB WiFi should not be used unless its a last resort, and even then you need to set you expectations very low. 

16 hours ago, JohnB17 said:

(I couldn't find a category that fit this)

-> Moved to Networking

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv