Advice needed on alternatives to using a mouse for desktop

tempbond

I've started to have pain and stiffness in my right hand and no matter what I do (stretches, modifying hand position on mouse...), nothing seems to help. Is there anything that you would suggest I try that WORKS as well as a mouse ?

I've thought about an external trackpad, vertical mouse, trackball... but leaning towards a trackpad, as my thinking is that I wouldn't be holding/clenching a device, so my hand, joints and ligaments would be less solicited.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great, thanks !

The little nub thing on some keyboards. It isn't that precise but it gets the job done and you use one finger on it. It might be hard to find one on a external keyboard, but most Lenovo laptops have them.

I imagine learning all the keyboard shortcuts wouldn't 100% work...

maybe it could?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

I do use some basic keyboard shortcuts, but that wouldn't be possible for all I need to do in my job.

55 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

The little nub thing on some keyboards. It isn't that precise but it gets the job done and you use one finger on it. It might be hard to find one on a external keyboard, but most Lenovo laptops have them.

That wouldn't work, I need something where I can rest my arm and wrist on the desk a bit. A nub like that would further concentrate my hand position to a small work surface. But thanks for the suggestion.

2 minutes ago, tempbond said:

That wouldn't work, I need something where I can rest my arm and wrist on the desk a bit. A nub like that would further concentrate my hand position to a small work surface. But thanks for the suggestion.

The nub isn't its own mouse, it's part of the keyboard. You'll need a keyboard anyways.

download.jpg.24d9f778e034e84b24826861ded34ee7.jpg

It's that little red circle in between GHB.

Oh, no. You might wanna pay a visit to your doctor. You might have early stages of carpal tunnel syndrome. :(

On 11/21/2020 at 1:32 PM, Coolmaster said:

The nub isn't its own mouse, it's part of the keyboard. You'll need a keyboard anyways.

download.jpg.24d9f778e034e84b24826861ded34ee7.jpg

It's that little red circle in between GHB.

Hahaha I know what a nub looks like 😉 Those were on Thinkpads, just didn't know that regular keyboards could have them. But my point was I want to use something to the side of the keyboard

On 11/21/2020 at 3:40 PM, Ωmegα said:

Oh, no. You might wanna pay a visit to your doctor. You might have early stages of carpal tunnel syndrome. :(

I don't have that, but have a lot of back and joint problems...I've seen every doctor, therapist and done every treatment possible, nothing really helps. Just have to live with it...