More intake or more exhaust?

redcan0

Hey everyone, My current fan setup is 3 intake at the front 3 exhaust at the top and on exhaust on the rear. I want to change this to 3 front intake and 3 top intake 1 rear exhaust. Which setup would give better CPU temps?

Note: I don’t care about dust.

13 minutes ago, redcan0 said:

Hey everyone, My current fan setup is 3 intake at the front 3 exhaust at the top and on exhaust on the rear. I want to change this to 3 front intake and 3 top intake 1 rear exhaust. Which setup would give better CPU temps?

1: you really should care about dust, not just because it looks bad, but because it can hinder the performance.

2: Your setup now is fine now, you want to make sure that not one fan is working too hard, for example, if you have 6 intake and 1 exhaust, the 1 exhaust fan will exert more power and will again, hinder the performance of the fan. 

For every 2 or 3 intake, I would have 1 exhaust.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

3 minutes ago, jsugarman2005 said:

1: you really should care about dust, not just because it looks bad, but because it can hinder the performance.

2: Your setup now is fine now, you want to make sure that not one fan is working too hard, for example, if you have 6 intake and 1 exhaust, the 1 exhaust fan will exert more power and will again, hinder the performance of the fan. 

For every 2 or 3 intake, I would have 1 exhaust.

So actually this how it currently is. I have a 360mm radiator at the very top as exhaust and 1 rear exhaust and 3 intake case fans at the very front. I am planning to move the radiator from the top of the case to the front. And then I will remove the fans that came with the AIO and put them at the very top of the case as 3 intake fans. Would this make sense. I could also use those 3 fans to do a pull/push set up on the radiator.

LTT did a video on this question in 2016.

Case Fans - How many do you need? 

Do a search for it and it will come up.

They tested different fan setups.

If I remember correctly I think it was 2 in the front for intake, 1 in the top for exhaust and 1 in the back for exhaust.

It said in the video that there is no real benefit in added cooling after the number and placement of fans they show.

I hope that is helpful.

🤖

System specs?

Moved to Cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

System specs?

Moved to Cooling. 

Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Silverstone PF360

Ryzen 5 3600
Asus Rog Strix RTX 2080 Super

26 minutes ago, redcan0 said:

Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Silverstone PF360

Ryzen 5 3600
Asus Rog Strix RTX 2080 Super

The 3600 isn't hard to cool and what you have currently is fine. What are load temps?

Moving the rad to the front may be better for temps but I'd recommend doing so only if the tubing can reach when at the bottom of the rad. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

After you move the radiator to the front just use 2 top fans 1 at front and one at back and use the front top for intake and the top rear as exhaust.  If you have the front top as exhaust it will just suck out freshly intaked air.

8 hours ago, redcan0 said:

It doesn't matter beside the question -are you willing to dust off your PC once in a while? If you don't mind, then you can have more exhausts. It will just pull more dust from outside. 

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The 3600 isn't hard to cool and what you have currently is fine. What are load temps?

Moving the rad to the front may be better for temps but I'd recommend doing so only if the tubing can reach when at the bottom of the rad. 

1.1V 4.2 GHz - Cinebench R23 53 degrees

1.25V 4.4 GHz - Cinebench R23 58 degrees

1.4V 4.6 GHz - Cinebench R23 80 degrees

And the tubing won’t reach the bottom as far as I can see I may be wrong though just assuming.

What would happen if thr tubes were up?

Most of my friends are using their AIO at the front with the tubing facing up.

9 hours ago, redcan0 said:

1.1V 4.2 GHz - Cinebench R23 53 degrees

1.25V 4.4 GHz - Cinebench R23 58 degrees

1.4V 4.6 GHz - Cinebench R23 80 degrees

And the tubing won’t reach the bottom as far as I can see I may be wrong though just assuming.

What would happen if thr tubes were up?

Most of my friends are using their AIO at the front with the tubing facing up.

1.4v is probably too high for a static voltage and isn't good for the lifespan of the cpu. What are you able to push with 1.3-1.35v?

Air floats to the highest point in a loop and having the tubing be at the highest point can reintroduce to air into the liquid and increase noise, lower performance, and / or lower lifespan. 

Gamers Nexus has a good video on this: