MacBook Pro comes back to life after its logic board is ‘cooked’

snowComet

VR-Zone reported, a user fixed his Macbook Pro by cooking it in an oven.

According to the article, when the Macbook Pro died,  freezed up, displaying its version of the infamous “blue screen of death on him, Ales Kocjancic try to fix the problem. He tried fixes on forums, but it didn't work; he didn't have Apple Care, and he didn't want to pay a large sum of money to fix it from Apple. As a last ditch of effort to fix it, he extract the logic board, put it on a aluminium foil, and baked it in an oven that had been pre-heated at 340 degrees, for 7 minutes. After he "cooked" the logic board, he put it back into his machine, boot it up, and the Macbook didn't have any problem ever since.

art-Macbook-Pro-Oven-Bake-2-620x349.jpg

art-Macbook-Pro-Oven-Bake-3-620x349.jpg

The logic behind this fix is actually very simple. It is based on a presumption that broken logic board connections might be causing the machine to not run properly. When the logic board is the oven, heat liquefies the solder joints. After its removed from the oven and set aside for a while, the joints cool back in place effectively mending the broken connections. Kocjancic then connected it back and powered up his MacBook Pro. The fix worked and he hasn’t faced any problems since.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/macbook-pro-comes-back-life-logic-board-cooked/74027.html

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/how-to-bake-an-apple-macbook-and-other-recipes-for-extreme-troubleshooting-20140312-34lin.html

Depending on the fault. U can do that to fix it.

I have a macbook pro, if its taken care of it shouldn't break!  Though, this happens allot with PC parts.  However since its a mac and its probably just average users viewing this, they read in awe. 

My brother attempted this to repair his old GPU, but he used american temps rather than british.... capacitors were popping n flying everywhere haha

This isn't news, this is a DIY method of reflowing solder, this has been common practice for years. The Nvidia 9000 and 8000 series were well known for these fixes, as are HP DV laptops. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

As has been stated before, this is called reflow soldering. It is a common technique among people that actually know things about electronics. Next time, do some research before posting "news" please.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

My brother attempted this to repair his old GPU, but he used american temps rather than british.... capacitors were popping n flying everywhere haha

British temps I'm sure you mean Swedish

mispost

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

British temps I'm sure you mean Swedish

Why specifically swedish? Isn't it just the difference between the metric and imperial system?

I wanna try this with my macbook pro logic board that i split on, how great is the danger of this?

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Facebook is watching this, twice even.

Why specifically swedish? Isn't it just the difference between the metric and imperial system?

Celsius, also known as centigrade,[1] is a scale and unit of measurement for temperature. It is named after the Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius (1701–1744), who developed a similar temperature scale. The degree Celsius (°C) can refer to a specific temperature on the Celsius scale as well as a unit to indicate a temperature interval, a difference between two temperatures or an uncertainty. The unit was known until 1948 as "centigrade" from the Latin centum translated as 100 and gradus translated as "steps".

Celsius, also known as centigrade,[1] is a scale and unit of measurement for temperature. It is named after the Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius (1701–1744), who developed a similar temperature scale. The degree Celsius (°C) can refer to a specific temperature on the Celsius scale as well as a unit to indicate a temperature interval, a difference between two temperatures or an uncertainty. The unit was known until 1948 as "centigrade" from the Latin centum translated as 100 and gradus translated as "steps".

We use Celsius here. :P

We use Celsius here. :P

Ok and?

But almost all of europe use celcius.. Didn't know a swedish guy invented it though i think napoleon was the one who standardized it with the introduction of the SI unit system

But almost all of europe use celcius.. Didn't know a swedish guy invented it though i think napoleon was the one who standardized it with the introduction of the SI unit system

We use celcius in the us also but F is the primary standard, i also don't understand why you are telling me common sense

As has been stated before, this is called reflow soldering. It is a common technique among people that actually know things about electronics. Next time, do some research before posting "news" please.

Came in to post this. People do this as a cheap fix with RRoD XBOX 360s all the time. I'd know because I seriously considered doing it once. 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

We use celcius in the us also but F is the primary standard, i also don't understand why you are telling me common sense

You seam like you're trying to sound smart.. 

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

You seam like you're trying to sound smart..

What?

Why is this news? People have been doing this for years with GPUs.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I used this to fix an Xbox 360 and an HP laptop. Except the laptop was more useful as a mush of melted sober and pcb...

sysloc

Why is this news? People have been doing this for years with GPUs.

Thank you. You're like the third person saying this.