Asus TUF OC vs STRIX OC 3080

Jedibrysen
Go to solution Solved by aMJay99,
13 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Me neither I got a gsync monitor so amd is out of questions....but they look bloody good this generation around.

AMD GPU has always been plagued with drivers problems since they were ATI. Unless they get a clean slate for a couple of generations, I will never go AMD for 50 bucks difference, although I am using AMD CPU now.

Once they are back in stock I want to know which 3080 to get. The strix has high boost better cooling but also a $100 higher price I mainly want to know if it’s worth the extra cost. I’m currently upgrading from an MSI rtx 2080 gaming x trio. What other benefits does the Strix provide over the TUF or should I just save that $100 and go for the TUF. I really just want the best performance card without breaking the bank. 

19 minutes ago, Jedibrysen said:

Once they are back in stock I want to know which 3080 to get. The strix has high boost better cooling but also a $100 higher price I mainly want to know if it’s worth the extra cost. I’m currently upgrading from an MSI rtx 2080 gaming x trio. What other benefits does the Strix provide over the TUF or should I just save that $100 and go for the TUF. I really just want the best performance card without breaking the bank. 

Traditionally OC cards produce a great deal of heat for their speed boost.  I suspect the more expensive one will have more cooler on it.  For USD$100 though you could do hybrid water on the cheaper card.  The question is what is the differences between the two pcbs?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I think by the time they are back in stock you might want an AMD card..

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

13 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I think by the time they are back in stock you might want an AMD card..

I’m never going amd gpu 

39 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Traditionally OC cards produce a great deal of heat for their speed boost.  I suspect the more expensive one will have more cooler on it.  For USD$100 though you could do hybrid water on the cheaper card.  The question is what is the differences between the two pcbs?

I think it’s mostly to do with power draw from the bios. The strix I don’t think has a power limit which is super nice

6 minutes ago, Jedibrysen said:

I think it’s mostly to do with power draw from the bios. The strix I don’t think has a power limit which is super nice

That would sort of be a pcb difference.  No limit means some people are going to burn them out though.   I was thinking more of better components.  Like that “which chips are on the back” thing.  That applies to the whole pcb, not just That one little square. The general rule is the cheapass cards have better bang/buck, because whatever company designed them already optimized them. This would be Nvidia or AMD in this case.  It gets squishy as one approaches the top end though, because there isn’t a higher class gpu chip to get and all that can be done is hotrod the one that is there.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

59 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That would sort of be a pcb difference.  No limit means some people are going to burn them out though.   I was thinking more of better components.  Like that “which chips are on the back” thing.  That applies to the whole pcb, not just That one little square. The general rule is the cheapass cards have better bang/buck, because whatever company designed them already optimized them. This would be Nvidia or AMD in this case.  It gets squishy as one approaches the top end though, because there isn’t a higher class gpu chip to get and all that can be done is hotrod the one that is there.

Yeah bang/buck is really important in most cases as a $100 more card will only offer a slight difference but for me someone who overclocks and wants to get the most without buying a 3090 I think strix is probably the better option we will see how the prices hold up in January when I actually buy it

55 minutes ago, Jedibrysen said:

Yeah bang/buck is really important in most cases as a $100 more card will only offer a slight difference but for me someone who overclocks and wants to get the most without buying a 3090 I think strix is probably the better option we will see how the prices hold up in January when I actually buy it

3080 and 3090 are both ga102.  A 3090 basically IS a 3080, but with less bits cut off at the factory.

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

3080 and 3090 are both ga102.  A 3090 basically IS a 3080, but with less bits cut off at the factory.

Yeah I read about that we shall see what I can afford once there in stock thanks for the info 

2 hours ago, Jedibrysen said:

I’m never going amd gpu 

Me neither I got a gsync monitor so amd is out of questions....but they look bloody good this generation around.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

13 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

AMD GPU has always been plagued with drivers problems since they were ATI. Unless they get a clean slate for a couple of generations, I will never go AMD for 50 bucks difference, although I am using AMD CPU now.

On 11/15/2020 at 5:30 PM, i_build_nanosuits said:

Gsync is shit it’s not even about that lol