Ryzen. Reputation for dying? Or just the same as everything else?

msknight

I'm trying to get a handle on my current situation. Ryzen 5 2600X on an Asus B450-Plus board with Raijintek Themis Black heatpipe cooler. Not overclocked. Fed with a Be Quiet CM 80 Silver (600w) also fitted with a 1660Ti card... so... this isn't exactly pulling down the national grid 馃檪

Happily using for 1.5 years and I'm killing zombies last night when it just dies on me. No bang, no magic smoke, it just said that's all folks, and goodnight.

Initial troubleshooting is pointing at the processor (no response to power button, not even fan twitch although mobo is lit) and while I read and discounted the controversy on the, "motherboard power reporting statistics, shorten lifespan of Ryzen," thing that happened a few months ago, I am scratching my head as to why this should die.

It was a pre-built system from a company I consider reputable and they're being reasonable and working with me on the issue, so I'm not naming them.

But.... and here's where I'm scratching my head. There are supposed to be protections on chips these days. Thermal protection, voltage protection, and all that business. And a quick search reveals more discussion about Ryzen suddenly dying, than I'm comfortable with.

Anyone have anything to help me get to grips with why I shouldn't just stomach the cost and go back to Intel... 'cause I'm feeling like I've got no reliable information on which to base what is (for me) an expensive decision.

Have you at least tested the power supply by shorting the pins on the 24 pin to see if that is the cause?聽

CPU Cooler Tier List|| Motherboard VRMs Tier List||Motherboard Beep & POST Codes|| Graphics Card Tier List||PSU Tier List

Main System Specifications:聽

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||聽聽CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler||聽RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18聽 ||Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570聽 ||聽聽SSD: Samsung 970聽EVO聽1TB聽M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)||聽聽HDD:聽2X Western Digital聽Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)聽 ||GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT聽 || 聽PSU: EVGA P2 1600W聽 ||聽聽Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow||聽聽Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE聽RGB聽 ||聽聽Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky聽Switches聽 || 聽Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL||聽聽Monitor:ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"聽

IMO if ryzen had a large reputation for dying you'd be hearing more about it. Never had any problems with my 3900x.聽

Not saying ryzen聽doesn't die, but random failures can/do聽happen, and often don't point to a massive lifespan problem with an entire line. It's a little premature in my opinion to look for a controversy over one chip dying.聽

See if you can get some sort of warranty service from your prebuilt company

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

Have you at least tested the power supply by shorting the pins on the 24 pin to see if that is the cause?聽

Not yet. I have a replacement PSU as well as processor on order. I'm not going to short the pins while I'm under warrantee. Basic troubleshooting like removing the graphics card, resetting CMOS battery, etc. I can do without hacking off the supplier. And the MB is obviously receiving power, as LED's are active, along with network card showing response LEDs. I'm at 70% CPU, 30% psu at the moment

Try reseating your CPU as another step. Could just be bad contact is causing an issue.

R9 3900x, 32gb 3200mhz corsair dominator RGB, 1070Ti Founders Edition, HP 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD

I really should return to building machines. I'm now caught without spares, and a basic Ryzen is going to cost 拢80+... which is a bit expensive just to have a chip around to throw into things and see if they work.

I've built many Ryzen systems over the years and can happily report that they are all in service to this day, serving my clients very well.

13 minutes ago, msknight said:

It was a pre-built system from a company I consider reputable

you consider them reputable, but beyond that, what have they done to establish that a system like this would last?

In my experience, prebuilts very commonly cut corners on motherboards and power supplies, and one of these breaking would definitely be cause for this issue. Nothing to do with AMD's design, just poor part selection and quality.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black聽(with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux聽- Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I need?聽ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explained,聽group reg is bad

Just now, Nerdom said:

Try reseating your CPU as another step. Could just be bad contact is causing an issue.

Good suggestion. I'm seeking supplier blessing to do a re-seat and re-paste. This is being slightly complicated because I didn't build it myself.

5 minutes ago, Nerdom said:

IMO if ryzen had a large reputation for dying you'd be hearing more about it. Never had any problems with my 3900x.聽

See if you can get some sort of warranty service from your prebuilt company

Time to update the signature!!! That is also another option to go through by contacting the prebuilt company to see whether or not they can help troubleshoot the system, but usually they don't offer that long of a warranty.聽

4 minutes ago, msknight said:

Not yet. I have a replacement PSU as well as processor on order. I'm not going to short the pins while I'm under warrantee. Basic troubleshooting like removing the graphics card, resetting CMOS battery, etc. I can do without hacking off the supplier. And the MB is obviously receiving power, as LED's are active, along with network card showing response LEDs. I'm at 70% CPU, 30% psu at the moment

I highly doubt the processor is at fault here, unless the mobo blew something up (a VRM) that resulted in more voltage going to the CPU and causing it to short out.聽

CPU Cooler Tier List|| Motherboard VRMs Tier List||Motherboard Beep & POST Codes|| Graphics Card Tier List||PSU Tier List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||聽聽CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler||聽RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18聽 ||Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570聽 ||聽聽SSD: Samsung 970聽EVO聽1TB聽M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)||聽聽HDD:聽2X Western Digital聽Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)聽 ||GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT聽 || 聽PSU: EVGA P2 1600W聽 ||聽聽Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow||聽聽Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE聽RGB聽 ||聽聽Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky聽Switches聽 || 聽Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL||聽聽Monitor:ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"聽

Just now, Fasauceome said:

you consider them reputable, but beyond that, what have they done to establish that a system like this would last?

I consider them reputable because of their track record. I've also bought from them for a good number of years. The Intel systems I've bought from them are still running well. Also, now this has happened, they're working with me.

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Time to update the signature!!!

lol didn't realize my signature even said that anymore since I have them disabled

1 minute ago, msknight said:

I consider them reputable because of their track record. I've also bought from them for a good number of years. The Intel systems I've bought from them are still running well. Also, now this has happened, they're working with me.

That's great news though and hope that they聽are聽able to work this issue out with you. Some hardware fault must be at play here.聽

Possible causes:

Faulty motherboard

Faulty CPU

Faulty Power Supply

Even if a component receives power,it does not necessarily mean that it's聽fine.

A PC Enthusiast聽since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE聽GTX 1660 GAMING OC聽@ Core聽2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

That's great news though and hope that they聽are聽able to work this issue out with you. Some hardware fault must be at play here.聽

Agreed. But what, is the question. At the moment it's looking like I'll end up with a later Ryzen and another PSU. Then see if it objects to me killing Zombies again 馃檪

Just now, msknight said:

Agreed. But what, is the question. At the moment it's looking like I'll end up with a later Ryzen and another PSU. Then see if it objects to me killing Zombies again 馃檪

As @Vishera聽said in his post above, these parts are where the fault most likely lays in.聽

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

Even if a component receives power,it does not necessarily mean that it's聽fine.

Very true, but certain types of fault behaviour do point in general directions. As CommanderAlex pointed out, a MB fault could be the cause of a processor fail. It's going to take investigation.

I'm trying to bottom out whether what I'm reading about Ryzen issues have something behind them, or it's just general background chatter and the reliability is the same as everything else, and I just had some bad luck.

31 minutes ago, msknight said:

Very true, but certain types of fault behaviour do point in general directions. As CommanderAlex pointed out, a MB fault could be the cause of a processor fail. It's going to take investigation.

I'm trying to bottom out whether what I'm reading about Ryzen issues have something behind them, or it's just general background chatter and the reliability is the same as everything else, and I just had some bad luck.

Considering that i have a 2600 - which has the same silicon as a 2600X i hope it's just bad luck and not a trend.

A PC Enthusiast聽since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE聽GTX 1660 GAMING OC聽@ Core聽2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566