What do People think of AVG?

Tedwyn

I'm thinking of finally forking out some money for some Anti-Virus software, I've been using AVG free for a while and it's great but I was thinking that for my new build maybe I should get the Paid version? But before I went ahead and spent any money I thought I would turn to the community to see what you people think.

PC Enthusiast, Devourer of biscuits

Ew. Avast for life.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It's okay, but I don't need any other antivirus than my Windows Defender.

Ew. Avast for life.

Right there with you, their pop-ups get annoying sometimes though.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Avast is fine, I really don't see the point in paying for A-V. I've used Avast for a few years and I've never had any issues with any of my computers.

@Jamdude How about just turning them off in the settings?

It's OK, I've been using AVG since I built this computer and I have no problem with it, keep my computer stay clean. If you want to support the software just buy it, because I don't see any point spending money on anti virus.

Avast and Windows Security Essentials are my favorite

Here,they sell Avast Internet Security for about $20 for two license 1 year each. So far I've been using them without any issue at all. I can vouch for Avast, even their free version is quite good and light.

Spend only if you have the money and really need the extra features of the AV. If not, just use the free version and always take good precautions and be discipline when browsing the internet or transferring files.

How about just turning them off in the settings?

Done, thanks, I didn't realise I could turn the duration to 0 seconds.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Never have had any problems with it, i use the premium version in my home server, works great as a software biased firewall/anti-virus.

never had any problems with popups, idk why everyone is crying! you just click don't show this again!

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Over here 

Here,they sell Avast Internet Security for about $20 for two license 1 year each. So far I've been using them without any issue at all. I can vouch for Avast, even their free version is quite good and light.

Spend only if you have the money and really need the extra features of the AV. If not, just use the free version and always take good precautions and be discipline when browsing the internet or transferring files.

Over here the paid version of AVG is only £35, which is alot cheaper than buying any the sub-par stuff from a PC shop.

I will have a look at Avast too, thanks guys.

PC Enthusiast, Devourer of biscuits

avg acts like a virus, it displays ads and is invasive so i use windows defender or security essentials depending if im on windows 7 or 8.

I currently have the AVG AntiVirus 2014 edition and it is great. Highly recommend it!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

ESET NOD32, hands down. Light weight, not a piece of shit and it's the recommended product of numerous IT companies

The pop ups are extremely annoying. Combined with the fact that it insists on making itself my Chrome hompage really made me lose patience with it. As an antivirus it is ok, but I would just recommend not installing anything dodgy and sticking with Windows defender.

The pop ups are extremely annoying. Combined with the fact that it insists on making itself my Chrome hompage really made me lose patience with it. As an antivirus it is ok, but I would just recommend not installing anything dodgy and sticking with Windows defender.

The paid version has no pop ups, from I know. If you are using the free one, that is a whole different story. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

• 4 weeks later...

ESET is absolutely the best protection you could ever get your PC if you're willing to spend a little money. $40 a year gets you phenomenal real-time protection along with automatic updates. It is also SUPER lightweight... if you don't want to spend any money, however, then I would recommend Avast! but the $40 is worth it.