Apple Silicon gaming WoW Shadowlands

Hey,

I wanted to suggest to show a new Macbook with Apple Silicon gaming WoW Shadownlands or BfA and how it performs on youtube :)

Thanks, Best

1 minute ago, songwriter said:

gaming WoW Shadownlands or BfA

WoW doesn't support ARM, so nope.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

WoW doesn't support ARM, so nope.

as far as I know they use a compatibility layer, so yes

3 minutes ago, songwriter said:

as far as I know they use a compatibility layer, so yes

Fair point. Seems like it's called Rosetta or something.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

well they have to use an emulation layer and performance will be terrible 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

14 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Fair point. Seems like it's called Rosetta or something.

I believe this is rosetta 2.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

There will obviously be lots of people testing lots of popular apps and games once that hardware comes out.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, mahyar said:

well they have to use an emulation layer and performance will be terrible 

That’s not true. They showed Shadow of the Tomb Raider running like butter off an iPad chip from 2018 under Rosetta 2. I imagine WoW and it’s toaster friendly minimum specs will be just fine. 

Hell, you can run many modern games under true emulation right now with stuff like Parallels with negligible performance loss thanks to Metal and other assorted direct hardware access.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

7 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

That’s not true. They showed Shadow of the Tomb Raider running like butter off an iPad chip from 2018 under Rosetta 2. I imagine WoW and it’s toaster friendly minimum specs will be just fine. 

Hell, you can run many modern games under true emulation right now with stuff like Parallels with negligible performance loss thanks to Metal and other assorted direct hardware access.

So that means the transition between Intel to Apple silicon shouldn't be too rocky then. That was one of the concerns I had, was that you would have limited software support on the new ARM Macs at the beginning. If thats not the case then that would be pretty cool. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

35 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

So that means the transition between Intel to Apple silicon shouldn't be too rocky then. That was one of the concerns I had, was that you would have limited software support on the new ARM Macs at the beginning. If thats not the case then that would be pretty cool. 

Many people forget that Apple is a veteran at chip transitions and had a pretty smooth switch from PowerPC to x86. The original Rosetta made it such that you didn't really have to think much about which apps you ran unless peak performance was absolutely vital. I admittedly got an Intel Mac late, in 2007, but I still had some PPC apps and remember them being pain-free.

Things are different switching to ARM, of course, but the general rule is that most if not virtually all of your apps will 'just run,' even including many reasonably modern games. It's just a question of whether or not your must-have apps will run well enough, and if they'll eventually get native support. WoW very likely will be fine on both counts.

• 2 weeks later...