Suggestion: please change the font back to how it was for better readability

Mark Kaine
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

I've changed the font back to Helvetica. I think Inter looks better, but on some devices and browsers there seem to be legibility issues.

There are a lot of changes due to the update which seem unnecessary and superfluous... which seems something users can get used to over time however (before it then gets changed again so people have to get used to something else but I digress) but the font is not something you can just get used to... The spacing is too wide, the letters are too thin, and most importantly for readability it's too small, if you just would make it a little bit bigger it would make it so much easier to read. I basically now have to look for an extension to make letters bigger only for this website as I don't have this issue on any other sites I visit, and such an extension if it even exists will make things even more messy possibly... 

So my proposal is simple : just change the fonts back to how they were. 

I know people don't like changing back stuff they put work in but this change really makes the forum very difficult to read and navigate, and that really seems very counter productive. 

Maybe it looks good on a PC, but on mobile it just looks tiny and kind of broken with the huge space between words, so if at all possible I really wish it could be changed back and I think it would make it easier for users to get actually used to the recent forum update, simply because it would make things less difficult to read. Thanks for the consideration, I guess? 

1844775243_Screenshot_20201031-192203_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.c3ce4f73521cd30b88d2257fc635f7b3.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

How about just upping the default font size up two points. So you would go from

this

to this

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

How about just upping the default font size up two points. So you would go from

this

to this

How do you do that for just one website tho? And it    would     still    not     change      the   rather    ridiculous     spacing       between    words      . 

I'm still interested however in how I would go to change font size for a single website, I'm not aware of this option? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Text looks the same size to me, I still like it. Not sure what y'all are talking about.

The geek himself.

Everything seems perfectly fine and legible to me. 7714AD46-8399-4941-B31F-9664A4E97D80.thumb.png.855ecbf290b7160f3f7cb0ab83c2e0b1.png

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Text looks the same size to me, I still like it. Not sure what y'all are talking about.

Old vs new

20201031_194202.thumb.jpg.140e740c60bef3d872b7f851fbfcb619.jpg

It's not only way smaller the spacing    between   words    is  also   very    odd 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'm actually visually impaired, and the font isn't issue for me. Some contrast issues, yes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

I'm actually visually impaired, and the font isn't issue for me. Some contrast issues, yes.

But it's smaller? And the spacing. Just. Makes. It. Read. Like. This. 

I mean ok if it's just me who has an issue with it, there's not much that can be done I guess, but the change itself should be rather apparent imo?? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

I've changed the font back to Helvetica. I think Inter looks better, but on some devices and browsers there seem to be legibility issues.

Oh?  That's awesome. :)

I think it didn't change back for me, yet? Maybe it takes some time... I'll try another browser to see if I can see a change. 

Anyhow, thank you, I think the old font was really better even though the difference is admittedly subtle. 👍

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Oh?  That's awesome. :)

I think it didn't change back for me, yet? Maybe it takes some time... I'll try another browser to see if I can see a change. 

Anyhow, thank you, I think the old font was really better even though the difference is admittedly subtle. 👍

Clear you're cache

The geek himself.

(cross-quoting from another topic)

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

It also kinda fixes the small font size, I'm just using Samsung internet "high contrast mode" and +125 text size

The font is identical to what it was before the update - 14px Helvetica/Roboto. Your screenshot does look like it's using the correct font, so this is not an issue that was introduced in this update.

HTTP/2 203

53 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

(cross-quoting from another topic)

The font is identical to what it was before the update - 14px Helvetica/Roboto. Your screenshot does look like it's using the correct font, so this is not an issue that was introduced in this update.

I think this is a scaling issue or something, it's just everything smaller than it should be - the weird thing is it happens on other browsers too so I have no idea how to fix it. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity