How to disable nvidia gpu boost 2.0? Help!

Vendetta

So I just bought my msi 770 gaming edition and I'm having the issue I knew I was going to have to deal with; stuttering/screen freezing in games because piece of shit gpu boost 2.0 is making my usage and power limit go all over the place. I've did a quick google search and couldn't find a decent fix. If anyone could please help me out here because this is seriously ruining my gameplay as every time I go to fight something my screen freezes up.

I did a quick search in the .cfg file in my driver install location but couldn't find anything. Was hoping there was going to be a 1 I could change to a 0 lol.

Going to bed so will reply in morning.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

You could try moving the GPu out of the GPU Boost 2.0 slot and put it in another PCI-E slot if you have one.

You could try moving the GPU out of the GPU Boost 2.0 slot and put it in another PCI-E slot if you have one.

I'm sorry...but WAT??

GPU Boost is a GPU (architecture/design) feature, and not a motherboard (expansion slot) feature.

@AlwaysFSX (da frog!!)

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

You can..

But you're going to have to mod your bios. This is an all-in-one tool made by Skyn3t that gives a 1.21V mod/power mod and disables boost: http://www.overclock.net/attachments/18093

More info: http://www.overclock.net/t/1396319/official-gtx-770-owners-club/0_100

useful, might try it since before two drivers ago I could get 1.21 with Precision only

can't hit 1320 without that +.012

Error: 410

You could try moving the GPu out of the GPU Boost 2.0 slot and put it in another PCI-E slot if you have one.

This doesn't even make any sense. What the heck is GPU Boost 2.0 slot? You just made up your own pcie slot.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

This doesn't even make any sense. What the heck is GPU Boost 2.0 slot? You just made up your own pcie slot.

WTF?

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

I'm sorry...but WAT??

GPU Boost is a GPU (architecture/design) feature, and not a motherboard (expansion slot) feature.

*facepalm* just what?

On my motherboard there is a PCI-E slot labeled GPU Boost 2.0 and one that isn't. I don't have GPU that can utilize the feature so I never cared to look into it. Seemed like specific slots had specific capabilities. Also I'm sure overclocking wouldn't work as well with 8x bandwith anyway so it would make sense one slot can't use the technology.

On my motherboard there is a PCI-E slot labeled GPU Boost 2.0 and one that isn't. I don't have GPU that can utilize the feature so I never cared to look into it. Seemed like specific slots had specific capabilities. Also I'm sure overclocking would work as well with 8x bandwith anyway so it would make sense one slot can't use the technology.

That's asus advertising a feature on the board. It is not exclusive to a pcie slot it's just there because they have limited options for printing on a motherboard

That's asus advertising a feature on the board. It is not exclusive to a pcie slot it's just there because they have limited options for printing on a motherboard

Makes sense, I personally don't like the feature from the little I've seen of it. I prefer manual overclocking and am hesitant to get a 700 series GPU now seeing as it can't be easily disabled.

Makes sense, I personally don't like the feature from the little I've seen of it. I prefer manual overclocking and am hesitant to get a 700 series GPU now seeing as it can't be easily disabled.

There's no real reason to disable gpu boost 2.0 and you can still manually overclock with it on. So I really don't get why OP would want to and is experiencing such issues.

There's no real reason to disable gpu boost 2.0 and you can still manually overclock with it on. So I really don't get why OP would want to and is experiencing such issues.

I think OP probably needs to RMA the card I doubt it's the GPU Boost 2.0 but that's good to know I don't like the whole simplified one-touch overclocking. I prefer to do it myself and play around with more specifics instead of a silly graphic that let's me set a target temperature.

useful, might try it since before two drivers ago I could get 1.21 with Precision only

can't hit 1320 without that +.012

That guy's bioses removes the undervolting issue as well under load so you can have 1.21V all the time. If I remember correctly, it removes the temp target as well. The bios settings will override the drivers so drivers shouldn't interfere

On my motherboard there is a PCI-E slot labeled GPU Boost 2.0 and one that isn't. I don't have GPU that can utilize the feature so I never cared to look into it. Seemed like specific slots had specific capabilities. Also I'm sure overclocking wouldn't work as well with 8x bandwith anyway so it would make sense one slot can't use the technology.

GPU boost 2.0 is in the gpu bios and there are no boards that have gpu boost 2.0 labeled near the pcie slots.

I think OP probably needs to RMA the card I doubt it's the GPU Boost 2.0 but that's good to know I don't like the whole simplified one-touch overclocking. I prefer to do it myself and play around with more specifics instead of a silly graphic that let's me set a target temperature.

Some people did have issues in games that were barely taking anything of your gpu; the clocks weren't on its full boost and the vcore was too low for that clock so they just upped the min vcore.

I've had issues before as well with gpu boost with 670's in SLI same model/brand. I had to mod the bios to make them working properly. The 1st gpu had a different bios and a higher stock voltage for its full turbo which was 1.175V and the 2nd had 1.162V - for some reasons the 1st card was boosting to its max with 1.162V instead of 1.175V so I had to switch the 1st card to the 2nd slot and the 2nd card to the 1st slot. The voltage issue was fixed but here and there some dxerrors again; I really had to mod the 2nd cards bios and bump the min voltage to 1.175V then it worked perfectly.

@Op try reducing the core clock speed or bumping the min vcore, if that doesnt fix it, well it isn't the first time a card got bad binned so RMA it then

So I just bought my msi 770 gaming edition and I'm having the issue I knew I was going to have to deal with; stuttering/screen freezing in games because piece of shit gpu boost 2.0 is making my usage and power limit go all over the place. I've did a quick google search and couldn't find a decent fix. If anyone could please help me out here because this is seriously ruining my gameplay as every time I go to fight something my screen freezes up.

I did a quick search in the .cfg file in my driver install location but couldn't find anything. Was hoping there was going to be a 1 I could change to a 0 lol.

Going to bed so will reply in morning.

What makes you say it's cause of gpu boost? And how did you know you were gonna have to deal with it before hand? I don't have these issues on my nvidia card... Sounds like you just got a bad card...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

What makes you say it's cause of gpu boost? And how did you know you were gonna have to deal with it before hand? I don't have these issues on my nvidia card... Sounds like you just got a bad card...

I wouldn't use a bad card for 5 months.. Just added the 2nd one with 1.162V and the first one I bought was undervolting in sli. And ofc I tested the 2nd card individually.

There is no i on there, it just says GPU Boost and in the specifications it says the same, I also, when first receiving my mobo, installed all my drivers and that software did not install, however. I realize I am wrong, just showing that I made the mistake based on that and from the little I've actually looked into the tech of GPU Boost 2.0 seeing as my 660 can't utilize it I never cared to look into it so it seemed to me like a PCI-E slot that received data differently than other slots. My mistake, but you learn something new everyday.

There is no i on there, it just says GPU Boost and in the specifications it says the same, I also, when first receiving my mobo, installed all my drivers and that software did not install, however. I realize I am wrong, just showing that I made the mistake based on that and from the little I've actually looked into the tech of GPU Boost 2.0 seeing as my 660 can't utilize it I never cared to look into it so it seemed to me like a PCI-E slot that received data differently than other slots. My mistake, but you learn something new everyday.

It's an utility, in AI suite2. Also the z77 boards came earlier out than the 600 series gpu's so it's impossible theyre refering to nvidia's gpu boost.

It's an utility, in AI suite2. Also the z77 boards came earlier out than the 600 series gpu's so it's impossible theyre refering to nvidia's gpu boost.

Makes sense, this was my first build and I built it before I learned really anything. I got a bunch of recommendations of a good price to performance PC watched a bunch of build videos and put it together. I only recently found Linus' channel and have learned everything I know now from him. So I basically went from basic knowledge to what I'd say is Above Average or intermediate in a few months or so. However I appreciate you clarifying for me. So Thank you.

I wouldn't use a bad card for 5 months.. Just added the 2nd one with 1.162V and the first one I bought was undervolting in sli. And ofc I tested the 2nd card individually.

I don't see how any of this has anything to do with what I said... Did you accidently quote the wrong post?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

you can't disable that, you  can maybe try and add a negative OC offset. 

RMA it.

No need to RMA, card runs like a champ when gpu boost 2.0 realizes it should run 100% load.

Read above.

@Op try reducing the core clock speed or bumping the min vcore, if that doesnt fix it, well it isn't the first time a card got bad binned so RMA it then

Card does not need to be RMA'd. It isn't crashing so I don't need to lower the core clock.

I did not get a bad card, I knew it was going to be gpu boost 2.0 because I've had to tell people who have had similar problems that it is gpu boost 2.0.

I don't think anyone here that actually posted understood the issue at all. I'm playing an MMO called ArcheAge, when I go from a non graphically intensive situation like standing still looking at the ground piece of shit gpu boost 2.0 thinks that it should lower my voltages and power limit because the card isn't being stressed. But then when I go from doing something like that to casting spells and blowing shit up I get a stutter from gpu boost 2.0 realizing it needs to raise everything up to where it needs to be. If you can't understand the issue this time please don't reply, I understand you are trying to help but if you can't grasp the issue then you definitely won't be any help.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/