AM4 motherboards, USB-C, Thunderbolt, and USB4

This is a good time to upgrade as there are impressive new CPUs and GPUs out. But at the same time, I think that there are some major caveats to upgrading right now, with DDR5 coming next year, and a lack of adoption of Thunderbolt and USB4 in currently-available motherboards.

I've been looking for a motherboard for a Ryzen 5000 build, and many boards have a USB 3.2 type-C port, but none of the ones I've looked-at specifically say it has Thunderbolt 3 support. From what I've read, all Thunderbolt 3 ports work as USB3 ports, but the reverse isn't true.

Does that mean that the USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 port on this motherboard won't support Thunderbolt?

https://www.newegg.ca/asus-rog-strix-x570-e-gaming/p/N82E16813119111

What are some decent AM4 motherboards with a Thunderbolt 3 port? And are there currently any AM4 motherboards with a USB4 port?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Most boards I've seen only has one usbc port or Thunderbolt not sure

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Gigabyte B550 Vision D board also has thunderbolt 3 : https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-rev-10#kf

There's also some motherboards that have header for Thunderbolt support, and you can install separate cards and get it working.  

USB 4 is not a thing yet, it's yet to be standardized and it remains to be seen if Intel is really gonna stop with their tricks and with their schemes and let someone independent certify/validate devices so that we'd have more things with Thunderbolt. 

I wouldn't worry so much about it. 

Yeah, we're gonna have DDR5 by the end of next year but it's not gonna be cheaper than current memory and at least the initial offerings won't be significantly faster than existing DDR4.  Just like with the DDR3 / DDR4 transition... it started with moving from DDR3 1600/1866 mhz to  DDR4 2133/2400 which wasn't much faster than DDR3 1866 Mhz ... and it took some time to get to the current 3200-3600 Mhz 

And USB 4 / Thunderbolt 4 ... we barely have things that need 10gbps usb 3.2  gen2 (or whatever is called today), I doubt we're gonna have so many things needing usb 4 in the next 2-3 years and should be backwards compatible with usb 3.2 gen2 

So I think anyone that upgrades today will be safe for at least 3-4 years, especially considering how fast the just released 5xxx processors from AMD are.