Low FPS on RTX 3080

LYPTUS

Hi everyone,

After playing Warzone on my MacBook for a long time I decided that I finally had enough of low FPS and built my first PC.

Hardware:

Ryzen 5 3600X

2x8 DDR4 3200

Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650w

M.2 NVME for Windows, SSD for some Games and HDD for large Library.

At first I got myself hands on a 2060 Super as I wanted to wait for the 3070. With that one I honestly did not have a great experience. I was aiming for 1440p in Warzone and I was averaging around 70 fps at low settings. However, every other game, FPS dropped to 40s and 50s. Making it basically unplayable. I figured it was the GPU and bought a Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC.

I am now getting around 120fps in 1440p which seems way too low to me, given that others get around 170 at the same settings (youtube videos). Moreover, I still have the issue that my fps drops down to right around 50fps every other game, making it a really bad experience until I restart. My GPU is then at around 50% use while my CPU is always at around 40-60%.

At this point I feel like I should stop throwing money at the problem and figure out the issue. My 3D Mark Score is also in the bottom 1% for a 5 3600 and the 3080. Here is one of my latest runs: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/14812219

GPU-Z is showing "VRel, VOp" as Performance Cap reason. Temps are at around 70-75 degrees.

At this point my only guess would be the power supply being too weak but as I said. I dont just wanna throw money at the issue anymore. Could this be the reason?

Thanks!

Edit: XMP is enabled and I did DDU when getting the new card.

3 minutes ago, LYPTUS said:

Hi everyone,

After playing Warzone on my MacBook for a long time I decided that I finally had enough of low FPS and built my first PC.

Hardware:

Ryzen 5 3600X

2x8 DDR4 3200

Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650w

M.2 NVME for Windows, SSD for some Games and HDD for large Library.

At first I got myself hands on a 2060 Super as I wanted to wait for the 3070. With that one I honestly did not have a great experience. I was aiming for 1440p in Warzone and I was averaging around 70 fps at low settings. However, every other game, FPS dropped to 40s and 50s. Making it basically unplayable. I figured it was the GPU and bought a Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC.

I am now getting around 120fps in 1440p which seems way too low to me, given that others get around 170 at the same settings (youtube videos). Moreover, I still have the issue that my fps drops down to right around 50fps every other game, making it a really bad experience until I restart. My GPU is then at around 50% use while my CPU is always at around 40-60%.

At this point I feel like I should stop throwing money at the problem and figure out the issue. My 3D Mark Score is also in the bottom 1% for a 5 3600 and the 3080. Here is one of my latest runs: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/14812219

GPU-Z is showing "VRel, VOp" as Performance Cap reason. Temps are at around 70-75 degrees.

At this point my only guess would be the power supply being too weak but as I said. I dont just wanna throw money at the issue anymore. Could this be the reason?

Thanks!

Edit: XMP is enabled and I did DDU when getting the new card.

How is it even running on that psu? Like even very good 750w psu's just straight up shut off with a 3080. The silentstorm cool zero is a very good psu but I'm very surprised it's running a 3080 whilst only being the 650w version.

Might want to ddu the drivers and reinstall them to see what that gives. Could you try lowering your settings all to low and see what that gives?

What is your case? Can you open mis afterburner and see what the clocks for the gpu are during gaming?

7 minutes ago, LYPTUS said:

SNIP

Its almost certainly your PSU.

VRel = Voltage Reliability. The card has throttled because its not getting a stable current feed.

VOp = Voltage Operation. The card has throttled because its hitting the max available voltage.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

How is it even running on that psu? Like even very good 750w psu's just straight up shut off with a 3080. The silentstorm cool zero is a very good psu but I'm very surprised it's running a 3080 whilst only being the 650w version.

Might want to ddu the drivers and reinstall them to see what that gives. Could you try lowering your settings all to low and see what that gives?

What is your case? Can you open mis afterburner and see what the clocks for the gpu are during gaming?

I made sure evrything would run with the PSU and looked through forums and used the wattage calculator by seasonic. Given that my CPU has a fairly low TDP i figured that i'd give it a go.

I did try reinstalling drivers. Lowering my settings doesnt really change my fps whatsoever. Especially when I am having one of the games where they drop down to around 40-50, nothing will change even when I lower the render resolution.

I have an NZXT H510 with the base config fans (which seems to be the best configuration according to some reviews) but I did think about replacing the stock fans with some noctuas or similar.

1 minute ago, LYPTUS said:

I made sure evrything would run with the PSU and looked through forums and used the wattage calculator by seasonic. Given that my CPU has a fairly low TDP i figured that i'd give it a go.

I did try reinstalling drivers. Lowering my settings doesnt really change my fps whatsoever. Especially when I am having one of the games where they drop down to around 40-50, nothing will change even when I lower the render resolution.

I have an NZXT H510 with the base config fans (which seems to be the best configuration according to some reviews) but I did think about replacing the stock fans with some noctuas or similar.

The h510 does not have good airflow. Try gaming with the sidepanel open.

Also check afterburner for the clockspeeds of the gpu. Nvidia's temps don't really matter that much as they will dynamically lower the clockspeed to stay at a certain temperature.

What are your cpu temps at?

19 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The h510 does not have good airflow. Try gaming with the sidepanel open.

Also check afterburner for the clockspeeds of the gpu. Nvidia's temps don't really matter that much as they will dynamically lower the clockspeed to stay at a certain temperature.

What are your cpu temps at?

The GPU is at 1935Mhz almost constantly. Memory at 1187. CPU is right around 80 to 82 degrees.

GPU Fans are at 88% and the Board Power Draw is at around 270-280.

With the Sidepanel open, my CPU Temps have gone down significantly. GPU is the same and FPS did not improve. PerfCap Reason is stated as Idle.

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

VRel = Voltage Reliability. The card has throttled because its not getting a stable current feed.

VOp = Voltage Operation. The card has throttled because its hitting the max available voltage.

This is the correct answer.

Its literally telling you that its throttling because its not getting enough power.

You can turn all sorts of things down to get more power to the GPU, but then you are slowing everything else down in the system.

Replace your PSU with something 750w or greater, or you have wasted money with the CPU/GPU.

Its not throwing money at it if you are pointedly addressing a problem with a logical solution.

6 hours ago, LYPTUS said:

With the Sidepanel open, my CPU Temps have gone down significantly.

Sounds like you might need some more fans, or might have a fan or two pointed the wrong direction.

Maybe share a pic of the system with the side panel open showing how everything is layed out and what not?

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

2 hours ago, cr8tor said:

Its literally telling you that its throttling because its not getting enough power.

You can turn all sorts of things down to get more power to the GPU, but then you are slowing everything else down in the system.

Replace your PSU with something 750w or greater, or you have wasted money with the CPU/GPU.

Its not throwing money at it if you are pointedly addressing a problem with a logical solution.

Sounds like you might need some more fans, or might have a fan or two pointed the wrong direction.

Maybe share a pic of the system with the side panel open showing how everything is layed out and what not?

Thank you for your response, I have already gone ahead and ordered a new PSU. By throwing money at the issue I mainly meant buying things where I dont know wether they will fix my issue. Now that you guys have confirmed my worry however, its of course a no-brainer.

I have attached a current picture of the rig. It is in the stock config with negative air pressure, which is - if you believe all the youtube videos about this case - the best config. It is apparently designed for negative pressure.

I am considering a few options however:

• Replacing stock fans with Noctua NF-P12
  • Adding AIO for CPU in front
  • Some form of improved air cooler for the CPU

I am going to guess that the temps arent going to be any better if the GPU gets the power it needs?

Rig pic.jpg

9 minutes ago, LYPTUS said:

I am going to guess that the temps arent going to be any better if the GPU gets the power it needs?

If anything they will get worse once everything can operate as fast as possible.

• Not a bad idea, but not necessarily going to fix the temps
    • Maybe switch to Noctua's and add more fans though which would help.
    • How man fans do you have up front? Any? (pic showing the maybe)
    • I get the negative air pressure thing, and agree it works. however if all you have is those two fans pulling air out, i think you need more air movement.
    • If you do, make sure you tubes connect at the bottom, not up top, otherwise you may have air getting in the system which will reduce the effectiveness of the waterblock.
    • Stick it up top of its an option.
    • I wont get an AIO anymore myself, air or full custom so i agree with this idea the most. Along with more case fans if you only have those 2
    • Will admit i have an AIO right now that is working ok, but i also feel an air cooler would have done just as well, for less money, and it would still be usable after 5 years.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

3 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

If anything they will get worse once everything can operate as fast as possible.

• Not a bad idea, but not necessarily going to fix the temps
    • Maybe switch to Noctua's and add more fans though which would help.
    • How man fans do you have up front? Any? (pic showing the maybe)
    • I get the negative air pressure thing, and agree it works. however if all you have is those two fans pulling air out, i think you need more air movement.
    • If you do, make sure you tubes connect at the bottom, not up top, otherwise you may have air getting in the system which will reduce the effectiveness of the waterblock.
    • Stick it up top of its an option.
    • I wont get an AIO anymore myself, air or full custom so i agree with this idea the most. Along with more case fans if you only have those 2
    • Will admit i have an AIO right now that is working ok, but i also feel an air cooler would have done just as well, for less money, and it would still be usable after 5 years.

There are no Fans up front.

In what configuration would you add the fans? All Intake? Or have some of them as exhaust?

I looked at a few videos including this one while I was going to order more Fans and they didnt seem to make a difference:

I am however going to be limited If i plan to put a 280mm AIO in there as it can only be mounted in the front, leaving no way to add more fans.

The reason I would be going for an AIO is obviously Aesthetics, which Air Cooler would you recommend for the 3600x (with possibility of upgrading to an r7 or r9 in the future)

I open a post like this in pc-gaming, but my thing was I was playing at 1080p and looks like it tanks with ryzen due "low single-core" vs intel 10th gen.

My time spy benchmark, looks like we have same card (mine is OC version): https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51904195 temperature difference is a lot (9º difference) comparing your results. That may causes not expected performance I guess... (I'm not a total expert, but heat causes less conductivity xd and 79ºC looks a lot, I usually try to improve my cooling if I see something avobe 74ºC)

36 minutes ago, LYPTUS said:

There are no Fans up front.

In what configuration would you add the fans? All Intake? Or have some of them as exhaust?

I looked at a few videos including this one while I was going to order more Fans and they didnt seem to make a difference:

I am however going to be limited If i plan to put a 280mm AIO in there as it can only be mounted in the front, leaving no way to add more fans.

The reason I would be going for an AIO is obviously Aesthetics, which Air Cooler would you recommend for the 3600x (with possibility of upgrading to an r7 or r9 in the future)

I'd just add some fans. Just get a 5 pack of arctic p12s same performance as a noctua but 5 for the price of one.

25 minutes ago, Zindokar said:

I open a post like this in pc-gaming, but my thing was I was playing at 1080p and looks like it tanks with ryzen due "low single-core" vs intel 10th gen.

My time spy benchmark, looks like we have same card (mine is OC version): https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51904195 temperature difference is a lot (9º difference) comparing your results. That may causes not expected performance I guess... (I'm not a total expert, but heat causes less conductivity xd and 79ºC looks a lot, I usually try to improve my cooling if I see something avobe 74ºC)

Thank you for your reply. I understand that my CPU would definitly be the limit at 1080 and probably also at 1440 above like 160 FPS. The issue is however, that I am hovering at around 100-120 FPS, eventhough there are plenty of people getting 150FPS+ with the same CPU and a less powerful GPU. So my results do not seem reasonable to me whatsoever. Moreover, my CPU doesnt show that much use in game - if anything I guess it could be thermal throttling).

I also tried decreasing the Resolution to 1080p and did not see any improvement in FPS at all!

20 minutes ago, LYPTUS said:

Thank you for your reply. I understand that my CPU would definitly be the limit at 1080 and probably also at 1440 above like 160 FPS. The issue is however, that I am hovering at around 100-120 FPS, eventhough there are plenty of people getting 150FPS+ with the same CPU and a less powerful GPU. So my results do not seem reasonable to me whatsoever. Moreover, my CPU doesnt show that much use in game - if anything I guess it could be thermal throttling).

I also tried decreasing the Resolution to 1080p and did not see any improvement in FPS at all!

How I see is maybe yout heat and ram clock is bottlenecking. Anyway the rtx3080 tank at 1080p as you can see when decreasing resolution at 1080p.I also felt disapointed about the performance I'm having, but benchmarks results are good even octanebench I got 549.91 points and Linus had 529.2 points. (RTX ON) So I will switch to 4k when possible.

image.thumb.png.68aa516128ab94cb168b913f2d0dc672.png

1 minute ago, Zindokar said:

How I see is maybe yout heat and ram clock is bottlenecking. Anyway the rtx3080 tank at 1080p as you can see when decreasing resolution at 1080p.I also felt disapointed about the performance I'm having, but benchmarks results are good even octanebench I got 549.91 points and Linus had 529.2 points. (RTX ON) So I will switch to 4k when possible.

image.thumb.png.68aa516128ab94cb168b913f2d0dc672.png

I was using 4k with this card and had similar issues. FPS were at a solid 70 but I saw frequent drops to 40-50fps.

This might however just be the optimizatzion in Warzone.

2 minutes ago, LYPTUS said:

I was using 4k with this card and had similar issues. FPS were at a solid 70 but I saw frequent drops to 40-50fps.

This might however just be the optimizatzion in Warzone.

Which ram are you using? Well about Warzone, I played with i7-3770 and 1060gtx 6gb and had a great performance, I read that is bad optimized but maybe is not optimized for high-end pc for 4k and more fps...

10 hours ago, LYPTUS said:

With the Sidepanel open, my CPU Temps have gone down significantly.

This is my biggest reason for saying you need more airflow.

I would put them in the top pushing air out. Thats really your only option.

If you add an AIO up front, is there room for fans with it? If not, its a bad option, you need fans attached to the radiator for good airflow.

Plus if your CPU is getting nice and warm, your VRM's and drives are probably pretty hot also. Especially if they are m.2.

Family machines

20 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

This is my biggest reason for saying you need more airflow.

I would put them in the top pushing air out. Thats really your only option.

If you add an AIO up front, is there room for fans with it? If not, its a bad option, you need fans attached to the radiator for good airflow.

Plus if your CPU is getting nice and warm, your VRM's and drives are probably pretty hot also. Especially if they are m.2.

Yes there is space to attach the fans to the radiator.

My M.2 is sitting at around 50 celsius. My secondary SSD is at around 40 celsius.

My VRM seems to be at around 56 max.

48 minutes ago, Zindokar said:

Which ram are you using? Well about Warzone, I played with i7-3770 and 1060gtx 6gb and had a great performance, I read that is bad optimized but maybe is not optimized for high-end pc for 4k and more fps...

I am using 3200Mhz DDR4 16GB

The m.2 and VRM are a bit warm if thats idle, not bad, but a bit warm.

Airflow is rarely a bad thing to have in a case.

Family machines

Just now, cr8tor said:

The m.2 and VRM are a bit warm if thats idle, not bad, but a bit warm.

Airflow is rarely a bad thing to have in a case.

These are actually the maximum numbers that HWMonitor reports to me.

Yeah im aware that airflow isnt great with this case. While I do agree that there need to be improvements made, I don't see how that can be the reason for my terrible performance, given that the temps of all my components are not great but within reason and there does not seem to be any throttling happening or even a performance increase when I take of the side panel.

On 10/28/2020 at 7:59 PM, cr8tor said:

On 10/28/2020 at 1:20 PM, Master Disaster said:

As a small update:

Upgrading the PSU sadly didnt change anything performance wise. Still cant hit 144fps on 1440p High. Not even close.

I see no improvement in FPS whatsoever.

Does anyone else have a clue what I could do to resolve this issue or does anyone else have similar issues?

I am also only getting around 70FPS in Red Dead in 1440p, Ultra.

7 minutes ago, OnlyOneJame said:

Similar issue: I get about 60fps in Red Dead in 1440p Ultra on my Gigabyte 3080 gaming OC.

Yeah thats the exact same card I have. If I crank everything to the max I get even less than 60... Did you try Warzone? What CPU are you running?