Why is this thing cheaper

Ataxion

So I was browising walmar because I watched the OVERPOWERED Laptop video again and wanted to see if they were in stock now but I found this https://www.walmart.com/ip/EVOO-Gaming-Laptop-15-FHD-144Hz-Display-THX-Spatial-Audio-Tuned-9th-Gen-Intel-i7-9750H-Nvidia-GTX-1650-256GB-SSD-16GB-Memory-Windows-10-Home-Black/545386564?athcpid=545386564&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=b74bbdb2-007-1754b9f409de06&athancid=null&athena=true

but then when I checked amazon for a two year old dell gaming laptop with an i5 is $1000 why is this thing way cheaper it has a 9th Gen i-7

Some guy interested in tech

Just now, Anonymous015 said:

Because it is not made by Dell who want their cut of money

But the laptop is 2 years old and the price hasn't dropped isn't that weird

Which Dell gaming laptop. Also you have to remember that Dell is guaranteed to offer much better support than a small company like the one in the ad. And from the looks of it, it probably is just a Clevo laptop with different branding.

4 minutes ago, Ataxion said:

But the laptop is 2 years old and the price hasn't dropped isn't that weird

No. "New" things even if they're old will sometimes still hold the illusion of value as if they're still relevant in some way. 

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i7-6th-gen-core-i7-6700k/p/N82E16819117559

image.thumb.png.bce419fb4841300b1747243bc04746f9.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

few variables:

- you're comparing amazon pricing to walmart pricing (make of that what you will...)

- you're comparing a no-name "white label" brand with a brand that has, despite the horror stories, very good warranty and support infrastructure.

- build quality and quality control probably makes up most of the price difference.

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

No. "new" things even if they're old will often still hold the illusion of value. 

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i7-6th-gen-core-i7-6700k/p/N82E16819117559

image.thumb.png.bce419fb4841300b1747243bc04746f9.png

this.

very often, as long as there as as many people out there who might be willing to spend the money for an old part as they have left over, a retailer has very little reason to cut prices down. Sometimes this goes to the extreme, there's one german retailer i found while searching for a VERY specific wifi card, they still had it at original retail price, and still had one of them left. (i did find one other retailer that went the opposite way, and seems to have a tendency to hugely inflate pricing of their old stock, to screw over the people who absolutely need to find an old component)

as long as it's small items, it doesnt cost much to have them exist in your warehouse, and often computer components have so little margin that even 5% off means you're turning a loss. if leaving it on the shelf for 2 years means *SOMEONE* may buy it at retail price, that's a better deal than cutting down the price to get rid of it sooner.

7 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

*snip*

Yeah, but that's the 6700K, that thing still goes for 220$ to 250$ on ebay so paying 270$ for a new cpu with warranty isn't a bad deal.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

*snip*

True, but at the same time it's not as if you can get a much better deal by going used, so that's another reason to why the price stays up. But still they have decreased the price of the CPU and it's quite a bit below RRP.

3 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

paying 270$ for a new cpu with warranty isn't a bad deal.

And it's that kind of mentality that @manikyath was just describing. 

No one should every pay that much for a 6700k. New or used. 

Also:

All products sold by Platinum Micro Inc. are brand new and carry the manufacturers full warranty.

Good luck getting intel to honor the warranty of a 5 year old CPU just because you bought it five years later and then dropped it. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

19 minutes ago, manikyath said:

few variables:

- you're comparing amazon pricing to walmart pricing (make of that what you will...)

- you're comparing a no-name "white label" brand with a brand that has, despite the horror stories, very good warranty and support infrastructure.

- build quality and quality control probably makes up most of the price difference.

is there a trustable brand with the same spec and price as the unknown brand it can be a yEAR OR SO OLDER

2 minutes ago, Ataxion said:

is there a trustable brand with the same spec and price as the unknown brand it can be a yEAR OR SO OLDER

there's no unicorn in this yard.

either a company has the infrastructure to handle warranty issues, and has to calculate in the cost for that, or a company doesnt.

what side of that fence to go on, is your call. i've done plenty of "odd-ball purchases" where i knew that saving a buck meant essentially no support. but if i'd have to RECOMMEND someone else a brand, i'll always go for a brand i trust to do at least a decent job at supporting the product.