Amazon's Consumer Rights???

Hi, 

I recently bought a Fire 10" on amazon prime day for my mother. It arrived on the 14th of Oct and was opened today (left to self isolate) only to discover a cluster of dead pixels almost directly in the centre of the display. After speaking to amazon customer service I was told to send the tablet back WITHOUT the accessories (charger etc) and wait for the fulfilment team to dispatch a replacement tablet.  

My concern is that amazon will dispatch a refurbished tablet to me as they have done so many other times. Seen as the tablet was just bought this seems unreasonable...

Any suggestions if the tablet is replaced with a refurbished one? 

Edit : The self isolation part to clarify is due to my mother wishing for it to be isolated, she is slightly paranoid over the whole situation due to underlying health conditions. If it were me I would have opened it on day one haha.

Many thanks, stay safe, 

Lex

Depends on country laws, but usually you're entitled to a replacement of same or similar quality... That doesn't mean *new* necessarily. 

So if you don't want this you should just return the item and not exchange it. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

Depends on country laws, but usually you're entitled to a replacement of same or similar quality... That doesn't mean *new* necessarily. 

So if you don't want this you should just return the item and not exchange it. 

Such a pain buying amazon own products from amazon.... 

Thread cleaned. No trolling or unhelpful posts please.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

14 minutes ago, Alexander Underwood said:

Hi, 

I recently bought a Fire 10" on amazon prime day for my mother. It arrived on the 14th of Oct and was opened today (left to self isolate) only to discover a cluster of dead pixels almost directly in the centre of the display. After speaking to amazon customer service I was told to send the tablet back WITHOUT the accessories (charger etc) and wait for the fulfilment team to dispatch a replacement tablet.  

My concern is that amazon will dispatch a refurbished tablet to me as they have done so many other times. Seen as the tablet was just bought this seems unreasonable...

Any suggestions if the tablet is replaced with a refurbished one? 

Edit : The self isolation part to clarify is due to my mother wishing for it to be isolated, she is slightly paranoid over the whole situation due to underlying health conditions. If it were me I would have opened it on day one haha.

Many thanks, stay safe, 

Lex

If you exchange it, you will most likely receive a refurb. If you return you, you can reorder a new one, but you'll lose the discount.

Were you emphatically clear on the phone that you do not want a refurbished item? It may not help, but it wouldn't hurt to insist on a brand new tablet. If they send you a refurb anyway, you can raise a stink and probably get yourself a decent chunk of credit.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

If you exchange it, you will most likely receive a refurb. If you return you, you can reorder a new one, but you'll lose the discount.

Were you emphatically clear on the phone that you do not want a refurbished item? It may not help, but it wouldn't hurt to insist on a brand new tablet. If they send you a refurb anyway, you can raise a stink and probably get yourself a decent chunk of credit.

Didn't manage to get through on the phone so instead used text chat. Was as clear as I could be without being rude and told I would be informed as to what I was being sent once they receive the tablet. They could not give me any information.... My worry is that since they told me to keep the accessories that a refurb is what will be sent... 

Do you think the tablet will go below £100 in for example Currys on black Friday? Im really beginning to consider a refund :( 

Just moan at them for a while until they take the whole thing.

if u keep moaning a while after too they might give you a partial refund.

ive always had extreme luck with amazon.

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Just moan at them for a while until they take the whole thing.

if u keep moaning a while after too they might give you a partial refund.

ive always had extreme luck with amazon.

I can get a full refund as the Tablet is only 6 days old.... Its just the tablets now are £150 instead of £90... I was hoping they would just replace it seen as it is so new.... 

I just bought 2 on Prime day.  (Fire HD8's) - I believe their guarantee is clear that they will replace a broken tablet within the first 2 years no questions asked or some such.  But it didn't say a NEW tablet.  I feel your pain, but Id do as other suggest and push the chat to a supervisor and explain you want new in the box and will GLADLY send back the entire contents of package as this is a new product that came in unfunctional.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

39 minutes ago, Alexander Underwood said:

Didn't manage to get through on the phone so instead used text chat. Was as clear as I could be without being rude and told I would be informed as to what I was being sent once they receive the tablet. They could not give me any information.... My worry is that since they told me to keep the accessories that a refurb is what will be sent... 

Do you think the tablet will go below £100 in for example Currys on black Friday? Im really beginning to consider a refund :( 

Here’s what worked for me. Not the exact same circumstances. I bought a new laptop and was shipped a refurb. I just went to the item listing, got the price of the most expensive refurb available, took the difference between that and the regular brand new price, and told them that’s what I wanted. They gave me the credit, no questions asked. If you are stuck with a refurb, try that.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

6 hours ago, Alexander Underwood said:

Thats exactly what they are going to do. No reason for you to keep the accessories otherwise. Id just return it. 

6 hours ago, Alexander Underwood said:

Do you think the tablet will go below £100 in for example Currys on black Friday?

Im sure it will drop on Black Friday or Cyber Monday (If you guys do that in the UK). Hard to say how much it will drop. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.