Ryzen 5000 series CPUs with B550 Mobo compatability question

The press release for the new 5000 series CPUs on the AMD website says "AMD 500 series motherboards are ready for AMD Ryzen 5000 Series desktop processors with a simple BIOS update". Does this mean that a b550 fresh out of the box and 5600X will be incompatible?

3 minutes ago, parrotperil said:

The press release for the new 5000 series CPUs on the AMD website says "AMD 500 series motherboards are ready for AMD Ryzen 5000 Series desktop processors with a simple BIOS update". Does this mean that a b550 fresh out of the box and 5600X will be incompatible?

most motherboards should support 5000 series AMD cpu's without a bios update. But may require a BIOS update for the new CPU's to perform well.

no, as it says,

3 minutes ago, parrotperil said:

with a simple BIOS update

you will need to update the bios of a 500 motherboard for it to be compatible. it will take a bit for new 500 to come with 5000 ready bioses.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Maybe, mobos with the proper bios usually have a sticker indicating their compatibility on the box.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

4 minutes ago, parrotperil said:

Does this mean that a b550 fresh out of the box and 5600X will be incompatible?

i would assume boards that are manufactured after the 5000 series launched will have a sticker on the box saying "5000 series ready"

which will be compatible right out of the box

if you got an old stock B550, you'll need to bios update it

either with an older chip (AMD can borrow a chip) or bios flashback if your mobo supports it

some brands like MSI will probably tack on "MAX" or some other word at the end of the board model to signify that it's compatible with the chip

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

no, as it says,

you will need to update the bios of a 500 motherboard for it to be compatible. it will take a bit for new 500 to come with 5000 ready bioses.

Got it, thanks. Just for clarification, are these types of updates doable with usb stick bios flashable boards, or would I need a separate, already compatible CPU?

1 minute ago, parrotperil said:

Got it, thanks. Just for clarification, are these types of updates doable with usb stick bios flashable boards, or would I need a separate, already compatible CPU?

this would be a normal bios flash which can be done through a usb if the board supports it. thankfully its becoming a common feature, even on budget boards like b450s and such

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Thank you for your answers! Would anyone happen to have recommendations for 500 series boards that have usb bios flash capability? It's not an easily filterable feature on the search sites I'm using.

1 minute ago, parrotperil said:

Thank you for your answers! Would anyone happen to have recommendations for 500 series boards that have usb bios flash capability? It's not an easily filterable feature on the search sites I'm using.

What's your budget? The B550 Tomahawk is a great choice, Edge Wifi if you need wifi.. Almost all the B550/X570 boards are more than capable and a lot of them feature BIOS flashback, just look at the products specs page.. I just went with the B550 Taichi as it's on sale (and is, IMO, the best B550) and has all the features I need and is close enough to X570 that it really doesn't matter (has PCIe 4.0, like all B550s, just configured slightly different than X570). 

if the asus b450 strix refresh has bios flashback at 140 bucks then i'd hope any b550s at the same price have it as well. basically every b550 out there is decent and most are overkill for your average system so go with whatever fits your budget and what looks nice, even with a conscious effort to pick a bad one i cant think of any that stick out as particularly bad, vrms are solid across the board

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D