Help regarding an Optiplex i5 gen 3

mo.

Am i better off buying a new pc for a budget of 500$ or is it possible to get an optiplex and just put a graphics card in it. i would only liked to play cs:go and valorant

$500 in what country?

for a budget of $500 USD, an optiplex is pretty underwhelming, that's for more of a $300 or $200 price range

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

games i wouldn't mind running at medium settings. idk model but form factor mini tower

If you can find an i5 3 series for around $120-140 shipped (Ive bought them at this price before) in at minimum a MICRO tower form factor - you can slap in certain cards and it be plug and play - however the PSU's are typically proprietary as well as motherboards, etc so unless you know what the interior of the case looks like / clearance available, the PSU it has (or knowing what card you are getting wont need extra PSU cables), and whether the slot itself on the proprietary mobo delivers 35w or 75w at the slot to power a card.

If I had a $500 budget there are better options then an OptiPlex for sure.

EDIT - this is an OptiPlex I modded the F out of...still wasn't a real gaming machine lol

Optiplex.jpg

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Fasauceome said:

$500 in what country?

well its actually £400 

Just now, mo. said:

well its actually £400 

you could do a bit better for the money

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I had a similar plan until I looked at cpu motherboard combos on eBay for the same 100$ you spend on the optiplex I got a i5 4th gen an as rock mining board 8gbs of ram and a hyper 212 cooler then I got a power supply case and gpu all parts you normally replace on the optiplex anyway And you aren’t stuck with the proprietary motherboard which is majorly bad

This build with a used RX 570 (or 580 if you manage it for the budget) will put a used optiplex to shame for sure

Primary PC:

is the power supply good for long term

12 minutes ago, mo. said:

is the power supply good for long term

It is good. 400 watts is decent for any mid range PC and Be Quiet has quality warranty services.

Primary PC:

it has 8gb 500gb hdd and put a graphics card in it just to play valorant and cs:go

cost is the main factor. it is a good PC to buy and put a graphics card into it, if it's not too expensive. For most Optiplex models (not slim or small form factor) a used RX 570 or 470 works great.

although if you want to play more than valorant and CSGO in the future you're not exactly looking at a good upgrade path.

Edited by Fasauceome

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, mo. said:

it has 8gb 500gb hdd and put a graphics card in it just to play valorant and cs:go

An i5 version no. A i7 version yes.

For those games a 3rd gen i5 (which one?) will do you fine but that is it. Modern games do not run well on quad cores anymore and it's only going to get rapidly worse.

Also which optiplex? Keep in mind to put any more powerhungry gpu in there you will need a new quality psu and not all dells allow standard psu's.

£400 is a reasonable budget. Personally I will go for building a new system opposed to the "pimp my optiplex" route. Building a new system will allow for more flexibility. 

The way I see it is that the prices of used Optiplex towers have increased due to the global pandemic and no longer offer the same great value for gamers as they once did.