Need to find a home for my AMD Opteron 6180 SEs

I recently harvested lots of old chips from a couple old servers I had lying around collecting dust. 

Consequently, I have (4) twelve core Magny-Cours 6180 SEs on my hands. 

I am partial to this silicone because it's the big brother to my Phenom II X6, one of my favorite CPUs of all time, and although it has a lower clock speed and lower DDR3 support of 1333MHz vs 1600MHz, it does have twelve cores, and I can put up to four of them together on the same system. So with their power combined perhaps I could build a viable rig and fit out with SSD drive and decent GPU to limp along.

That being said, I was thinking perhaps using at least two of these chips in a workstation or modified server. Did anyone make a dual or quad socket G34 workstation back in the day that will accept this chip? 

I want to be clear: This rig will serve no practical purpose. I am doing this for sentimental reasons only. 

They came out of a 2 U dell server that houses four 6180 SEs per 1U slot. Basically an early type of blade server. I don't want to do that again. Way to loud and power hungry. I know cray makes a rig that will house this processor but they probably still sell for a pretty penny. Trying to do this on a budget. 

IMG-20201018-230530503-HDR.jpg

IMG-20201018-230544290-HDR.jpg

Other chips harvested include some BullDozer Opterons in the 6200-6300 series
IMG-20201018-230609612-HDR.jpg

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

ASUS made the KGPE-D16 dual socket motherboard that supported the 6300/6200/6100 series chips, Micro-Star probably did too but I'm not completely sure. I doubt you'll be able to find one unless you dig deep into the used market, there might be a few listings on EBay.

You'll find dual and quad G34 motherboards, but they're often sold with processors for around 100-150$

It's not worth it due to power consumption, but can be viable if you need a machine with loads of ram slots for ram caching or something like that. For games the single core performance sucks too much.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

You'll find dual and quad G34 motherboards, but they're often sold with processors for around 100-150$

It's not worth it due to power consumption, but can be viable if you need a machine with loads of ram slots for ram caching or something like that. For games the single core performance sucks too much.

Yes the power consumption will be high. If memory servers me, thse chips have an average of 115 w TDP under many/most circumstances, but yeah, they peak at 140 watts so she's gonna get a little hot unless I play my cards right. But at the same time I don't want the N/V/H from running a server since this rig will be right next to me most of the time. 

Wish I had one of these :)

Capture.png

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

Did you say something about ram caching? 

IMG-20201019-021739134.jpg

:)