Gaming laptop throttling

Hey guys ,I've got some serious issues with my gaming laptop.

I got asus rog strix gl503 i7 7700hq

Nvidia gtx1060 16gb ram.

I'm hitting very low fps ,about 18 fps in very simple games, I've started to get this problem about half year ago.

I got this pc for 3 years now and I really don't know what to do!

Really need your help for finding a solution to this 🙏 

Temps?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Alexey sazonov said:

I'm hitting most of the times 80+ when I'm gaming.. 

Are you plugged in? GPU and CPU aroung 80*C

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I have to stay plugged,  if not while gaming the battery dies after 1 hour. And yes cpu gpu plays around 80 degrees 

4 minutes ago, Alexey sazonov said:

I'm hitting most of the times 80+ when I'm gaming.. 

Just low fps or stuttering???

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

Just now, PiberiusWilde said:

Just low fps or stuttering???

Not sure what stuttering means.. sorry.

For example I have played doom eternal for a min I had 40-50 fps.. and the suddenly drops to 6-18 fps for few minutes and the again to 40 fps for a few seconds and the drops again.

For now I'm playing phasmophobia and the games getting laggy and with low fps, and suddenly smooth picture for few sec and the again drops

5 minutes ago, Alexey sazonov said:

Not sure what stuttering means.. sorry.

For example I have played doom eternal for a min I had 40-50 fps.. and the suddenly drops to 6-18 fps for few minutes and the again to 40 fps for a few seconds and the drops again.

For now I'm playing phasmophobia and the games getting laggy and with low fps, and suddenly smooth picture for few sec and the again drops

I'm not sure this is the exact problem you had but this is very similar issue that I had with my X412FL.

(Copied from a video I made about this for my laptop)

This issue happened because of heat. So, during gameplay there are three stages of how this laptop managed the GPU heat. First it goes up to around 81 degree but after about 2 - 3 minutes it lowers it clocks to maintain around 76 degree and then after a few minutes it tried to lower it to 68 degree and this is when the stuttering start to happened. Because at default the GPU is trying to push as much FPS as possible. This would cause the temps to raised up above that 68 degree threshold, then what happened is the laptop is trying to lowering the temprature by lowering the clocks dramatically to 150mhz which is lower then base clocks. And this will happened periodically through out.

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

2 minutes ago, PiberiusWilde said:

I'm not sure this is the exact problem you had but this is very similar issue that I had with my X412FL.

(Copied from a video I made about this for my laptop)

This issue happened because of heat. So, during gameplay there are three stages of how this laptop managed the GPU heat. First it goes up to around 81 degree but after about 2 - 3 minutes it lowers it clocks to maintain around 76 degree and then after a few minutes it tried to lower it to 68 degree and this is when the stuttering start to happened. Because at default the GPU is trying to push as much FPS as possible. This would cause the temps to raised up above that 68 degree threshold, then what happened is the laptop is trying to lowering the temprature by lowering the clocks dramatically to 150mhz which is lower then base clocks. And this will happened periodically through out.

So any ideas what can I do?

1 minute ago, Alexey sazonov said:

So any ideas what can I do?

Fortunately, yes!!!

Kinda jank though

This video I made

Skip to the Nvidia Control Panel part

'cause your laptop is a gaming laptop so I assumed it has a lot more power than mine try locking it from uhh... lets.... say 40-45 FPS the test it with the games you played. If there's no hiccups while playing. Then, add more FPS (very slowly) so on and so fourth

Fortunately, yes!!!

Kinda jank though

This video I made

'cause your laptop is a gaming laptop so I assumed it has a lot more power than mine try locking it from uhh... lets.... say 40-45 FPS the test it with the games you played. If there's no hiccups while playing. Then, add more FPS (very slowly) so on and so fourth

I'll try it as soon as I get home and let you know! Thank you very much 😊 

10 minutes ago, PiberiusWilde said:

Fortunately, yes!!!

Kinda jank though

This video I made

Do you know something about undervolt? Should I try to do it? And is it bad for laptop?

2 minutes ago, Alexey sazonov said:

Do you know something about undervolt? Should I try to do it? And is it bad for laptop?

Yes I had tried Undervolting didn't do nothing at all

The thing is this is an ASUS being ASUS thing. They programmed their laptop to thermal throttle hard when the GPU reached it's thermal threshold that they've set. Just read my video description it explains it

So they throttling it down not slowly e.g. 1500mhz to 1300mhz No!!! they programmed to throttle down even below base clock e.g. 300mhz then when the temps drop to bellow the threshold it shots back up to 1500mhz then down then up then down, so on and so fourth

So... unless you can create a custom bios for your laptop there's nothing much that you can do.

So they throttling it down not slowly e.g. 1500mhz to 1300mhz No!!! they programmed to throttle down even below base clock e.g. 300mhz then when the temps drop to bellow the threshold it shots back up to 1500mhz then down then up then down, so on and so fourth

So... unless you can create a custom bios for your laptop there's nothing much that you can do.

Thanks,  I'll try your option from the video 👍

First...... DOES IT HAVE MAD BLOATWARE?? (Apps, added to the Windows experience that wouldn't be there on a fresh install)
Like Asus Suite and all that garbage you don't really need, yet all the sensors and apps installed are running constantly tapping system resources and dividing performance numbers..This reduces FPS greatly in some cases (especially on laptops where its worse as an offender of bloats)

Exaggerated example.

I'd hazard Bloatware startup apps being the cause,....that are always running if your temps are not that bad...yet it performs like ass with good hardware.

Mentioning this with BOLD, because I want it to stand out when you come back, have a look at this software stuff before manipulating hardware.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

15 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

First...... DOES IT HAVE MAD BLOATWARE?? (Apps, added to the Windows experience that wouldn't be there on a fresh install)
Like Asus Suite and all that garbage you don't really need, yet all the sensors and apps installed are running constantly tapping system resources and dividing performance numbers..This reduces FPS greatly in some cases (especially on laptops where its worse as an offender of bloats)

Exaggerated example.

I'd hazard Bloatware startup apps being the cause,....that are always running if your temps are not that bad...yet it performs like ass with good hardware.

Mentioning this with BOLD, because I want it to stand out when you come back, have a look at this software stuff before manipulating hardware.

I have tried to delete unnecessary programs that may run.

Didn't help.. but today I took apart my laptop, and cleaned all the air flow hardwares and it dropped the temps by 35-30 degrees! 

Unfortunately I'm still getting some stutterings in some games.. but not that frequently,  if there is any other ideas what can I do for stop it.. I will be happy and thankful to you 

1 hour ago, Alexey sazonov said:

I have tried to delete unnecessary programs that may run.

Didn't help.. but today I took apart my laptop, and cleaned all the air flow hardwares and it dropped the temps by 35-30 degrees! 

Unfortunately I'm still getting some stutterings in some games.. but not that frequently,  if there is any other ideas what can I do for stop it.. I will be happy and thankful to you 

Is it still dropping fps suddenly???

IMG_20201011_213431.thumb.jpg.9f893c2fee400ea37b91205165945e86.jpg

You're welcome!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

IMG_20201011_213431.thumb.jpg.9f893c2fee400ea37b91205165945e86.jpg

YOU ARE WELCOME

Trust me, if the stuttering is caused by thermal throttling and the way Asus laptop throttled down their gpu clocks it wont help

God, I've tried everything when I trying to solve this with my laptop Cleaning, Undervolting, Adding thermal pad, Using cooling pad, heck I even try as far to put a small desk fan and placing it besides the laptop.

Nothing works. It's because just how ASUS programmed the throttling down their laptop gpu clocks just so stupid and dumb.

19 hours ago, PiberiusWilde said:

Is it still dropping fps suddenly???

Much less then before.. still stuttering in some games..but those are serious games.. like anno1800, doom eternal 

Some other things to consider that I didn't see mentioned here I would try these in this order:

1. BIOS update
  2. Drivers may be out of date for multiple things, but mainly your Graphics card and maybe chipset.
  3. Check you memory timings and speed in your BIOS and see if they are running overclocked or not, maybe adjusting settings here might help with studdering.
  4. 80 degrees is a little high for not super demanding games, even in a laptop, if possible could try re-applying thermal paste.
  5. Pulling a Linus and water-cooling you laptop lol

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage