100Hz Widescreen? Or 144HZ

voidrunner959

I know this has been asked 1000x probably but i have been looking at 60hz all my life 

So been racking my brain because been looking for a ultrawide at 144HZ but they are all $$$$, but I did find a few and even a ASUS tuff screen that were reasonable in the $499 range but they ran at 100HZ I'm building a gaming computer to last the next couple years and its gonna be a power house. Would sacrificing 144hz < 100HZ really effect my experience in a ultrawide? Dose anyone have a 100HZ ultrawide? how do you like it? I just want a good experience without having to drop 1k for a monitor. 

6 minutes ago, voidrunner959 said:

I know this has been asked 1000x probably but i have been looking at 60hz all my life 

So been racking my brain because been looking for a ultrawide at 144HZ but they are all $$$$, but I did find a few and even a ASUS tuff screen that were reasonable in the $499 range but they ran at 100HZ I'm building a gaming computer to last the next couple years and its gonna be a power house. Would sacrificing 144hz < 100HZ really effect my experience in a ultrawide? Dose anyone have a 100HZ ultrawide? how do you like it? I just want a good experience without having to drop 1k for a monitor. 

Not really. I would say it's still worth it over 144hz. I prefer 144hz but ultrawide is better I think.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Imo you only buy an ultra wide is you need one. A lot of games don't support ultra wide aspect ratios so you have block bars all the time and for gaming 144>100. Not only that, but some games that do support it end up looking s-t-r-e-c-h-e-d so unless you need screen real estate I would get a 144hz panel and call it a day. 

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

13 minutes ago, Gundar said:

Imo you only buy an ultra wide is you need one. A lot of games don't support ultra wide aspect ratios so you have block bars all the time and for gaming 144>100. Not only that, but some games that do support it end up looking s-t-r-e-c-h-e-d so unless you need screen real estate I would get a 144hz panel and call it a day. 

I do audio engineering so I do need the restate to run plugins and DAW when mixing just thought i could get the best of both worlds

10 minutes ago, voidrunner959 said:

I do audio engineering so I do need the restate to run plugins and DAW when mixing just thought i could get the best of both worlds

Well you can't get the best of both worlds. You have to sacrifice 44hz, which some people notice the difference in games but depends, or more real estate for your audio shenanigans and have black bars and s  -  t  -  r  -  e  -  c  -  h  -  e  -  d content in some cases. 

AMD blackout rig

5 hours ago, Gundar said:

Well you can't get the best of both worlds. You have to sacrifice 44hz, which some people notice the difference in games but depends, or more real estate for your audio shenanigans and have black bars and s  -  t  -  r  -  e  -  c  -  h  -  e  -  d content in some cases. 

Please name games that stretched with ultrawide monitor.

I play F1, Dirt Rally, Assassins Creed, COD, RDR 2. None has black bar or stretched. I also know PUBG, CS:GO and Fortnite will play just fine with ultrawide. Most modern games has no problem with 21:9 monitor.

6 hours ago, voidrunner959 said:

For under $500, there aren't many good ultrawide to choose from. AOC CU34G2X, Xiaomi Mi Curved, Gigabyte G34WQC and Iiyama G-Master GB3466 all use the same Samsung panel. They are slightly sub-par at 144Hz. Meaning the error rate is a little higher at 144Hz and causing some ghosting. You can either run them at 120Hz, which is still pretty fast but free of any artifact. Or depends on the games, ghosting isn't very noticeable at 144Hz. I run my AOC CU34G2X at 144Hz. Ghosting is barely visible.

1 hour ago, Deli said:

I play F1, Dirt Rally, Assassins Creed, COD, RDR 2. None has black bar or stretched. I also know PUBG, CS:GO and Fortnite will play just fine with ultrawide. Most modern games has no problem with 21:9 monitor.

Assasins Creed Odyssey needs an unofficial patched or edited .exe to not have black bars in all cutscenes. Same with RDR2 and Far Cry games. In fact many modern games are still not optimized for 21:9 and it will never become a standard like 16:9 did. Even when a game "supports" it most of the times you'll get the same horizontal FOV as a 16:9 display, but a cropped vertical FOV because games like CS:GO and Overwatch don't want you to have higher FOV just because you have another monitor. So in these games you basically have less FOV. I had an Ultrawide for about 2 years and i've gone back to 16:9 because it "just works". With ultrawide it can involve tinkering, modding and editing .exe files if you want your games to properly support it. After i found myself checking for ultrawide compatibility before buying any game i decided to go back to 16:9 and spare me all the hasse i've had in the past trying to make my games work with 21:9. Maybe that's just because i play a LOT of different games and some older ones too, so i found a lot of incompatible stuff.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 hours ago, voidrunner959 said:

100 hrz is kinds commen in ultra wides and it really depends on your prefrence, the jump between 60 to 100 hrz is very big and noticble but the jump from 100 to 144 hrz is smaller and will be less noticble, but eh yboth are good and I would choose based on the other things that you want in a monitor 

44 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Assasins Creed Odyssey needs an unofficial patched or edited .exe to not have black bars in all cutscenes. Same with RDR2 and Far Cry games. In fact many modern games are still not optimized for 21:9 and it will never become a standard like 16:9 did. Even when a game "supports" it most of the times you'll get the same horizontal FOV as a 16:9 display, but a cropped vertical FOV because games like CS:GO and Overwatch don't want you to have higher FOV just because you have another monitor. So in these games you basically have less FOV. I had an Ultrawide for about 2 years and i've gone back to 16:9 because it "just works". With ultrawide it can involve tinkering, modding and editing .exe files if you want your games to properly support it. After i found myself checking for ultrawide compatibility before buying any game i decided to go back to 16:9 and spare me all the hasse i've had in the past trying to make my games work with 21:9. Maybe that's just because i play a LOT of different games and some older ones too, so i found a lot of incompatible stuff.

I'm not die hard gamer. Usually I wait a couple of months after most of the bugs are ironed out before I buy them. By that time, there will be clear instruction I can follow to edit the exe file or whatever. So usually after ten minutes, the game will run fine on ultrawide.

2 hours ago, Deli said:

I don't have an ultrawide but I remember I watched some videos quite a while ago where the games in the video would end up stretched but maybe its less of an issue now.

AMD blackout rig