Games need AVX now?

whm1974

So reading this on my Phone while waiting on someone elsewhere...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/star-citizen-now-requires-avx-support-killing-off-intel-pentium-platform

Granted I haven't been keeping up with the latest games or computer hardware, but I'm glad I now know this... Of course I wouldn't panning on doing such a build for myself or advise anyone else to do so with such a low end CPU. A quad core Rig is the lowest I will build for anyone.

Personally I wouldn't produce Processors with less then four cores or offer them for sale but that iust just me.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

That's only star citizen though so I doubt that will be the case with other games.

There are already a good bunch of games that do use AVX. Not all of them, but Star Citizen certainly ain't the only one.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

There are already a good bunch of games that do use AVX. Not all of them, but Star Citizen certainly ain't the only one.

I haven't really noticed any to be honest. This is the first time I heard of AVX being a requirement for games.

-> Moved to PC Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

So reading this on my Phone while waiting on someone elsewhere...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/star-citizen-now-requires-avx-support-killing-off-intel-pentium-platform

Granted I haven't been keeping up with the latest games or computer hardware, but I'm glad I now know this... Of course I wouldn't panning on doing such a build for myself or advise anyone else to do so with such a low end CPU. A quad core Rig is the lowest I will build for anyone.

Personally I wouldn't produce Processors with less then four cores or offer them for sale but that iust just me.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

5 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I haven't really noticed any to be honest. This is the first time I heard of AVX being a requirement for games.

wtf is AVX?

Just now, Lord Szechenyi said:

wtf is AVX?

It's a bunch of vector-instructions in the CPU for complex maths.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

30 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

wtf is AVX?

Every CPU has an instruction set. They are the basic commands a processor can perform. These commands are atomic which means they can not be split up into simpler commands. A command which is sent to the cpu is translated and broken down into equivalent instruction set commands and they will be performed instead of the original command.

AMD and Intel processors both use the x86 instruction set. The AVX instructions expands the x86 instruction set by adding new commands. The reason an operating system and programs still work flawlessly after you swap from Intel to AMD or vise versa is that they share the same instruction set. ARM processors for example use a different instruction set which is why programs and operating systems do not work when you swap to Intel/AMD.

AVX instructions have been around for a long time. Intel introduced it with Sandy Bridge in 2011, and added more features with AVX2 in Haswell. I'm not sure on AMD's exact support date but it was present in the 'dozer era, although they really sucked at it and didn't catch up to Intel until Zen 2 last year. Zen 1 was closer to Sandy Bridge level. Intel also has AVX-512 in some CPUs now although not much uses it yet. Also note Intel don't include AVX in lower end CPUs, like Pentium and Celerons, even if they are Sandy Bridge or newer. It is included in i-series CPUs.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

GRid2 had a Normal EXE and an AVX EXE

I never ran it because comparing,..more heat for little gains isn't worth it to me...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz