Best Satellite Internet or alternative

Sycoblackburn

I live in a rural area, and the only internet service I can get is satellite internet. Are there any alternatives? I've called the usual suspects: Comcast, Charter, and AT&T are all out. I called a couple years back and Comcast told me they could do a plant extension? for $1200 USD to get cable internet ran to my home. Thanks in Advance.

CPU: Intel i9 9900K | Motherboard: ASRock B365M Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM: 4x8GB 2666MHz HyperX Fury RGB | GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: ASUS TUF Gaming GT301 | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | SSD: PNY XLR8 CS3030 2TB | SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | HDD: Seagate BerraCuda 8TB | Monitor: GIGABYTE G27QC

I do but it can be spotty at times. Just hoping for better home internet. Been in the dark since everyone moved away from dial up. I'd just like to have something better without a data cap.

CPU: Intel i9 9900K | Motherboard: ASRock B365M Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM: 4x8GB 2666MHz HyperX Fury RGB | GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: ASUS TUF Gaming GT301 | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | SSD: PNY XLR8 CS3030 2TB | SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | HDD: Seagate BerraCuda 8TB | Monitor: GIGABYTE G27QC

Those are really your only options then. In the grand scheme of things $1200 is actually not an insane amount to get a dedicated line out to your house. About the cost of a good PC.

OP, sign up for StarLink. Once the hardware beta comes out, you can get it for $300 and try it. I live in Alaska, and most rural areas here are excited for it. ISP's here charges native and rural communities up to $500 a month for unreliable internet. Starlink will only charge you less than a $100/mo IIRC.

48 minutes ago, Sycoblackburn said:

Comcast told me they could do a plant extension? for $1200 USD to get cable internet ran to my home. Thanks in Advance.

I seen people get quoted $50,000 to get a plant extension to their home. So $1200 is not a bad price at all, and potentially will increase the value of your home. 

As far as Satellite is concerned generally there are data caps on the service period. Even Comcast has data caps depending on what area you live in. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I seen people get quoted $50,000 to get a plant extension to their home. So $1200 is not a bad price at all, and potentially will increase the value of your home.

True. And in a lot of cases they simply say No. This is probably the best option. Big upfront cost but at least your monthly fees will be normal. I think Comcast caps you at 1TB a month which unless you are running a server or downloading tons of content should be enough. You can pay a little more to get unlimited too.

Just now, dilpickle said:

Comcast caps you at 1TB a month which unless you are running a server or downloading tons of content should be enough. You can pay a little more to get unlimited too.

1.2 TB a month. And with me and my parents, with my sister, brother in law and the kids coming down on occasion, we have seen usage of around 1TB. So.......... I work as hard as I can to keep our usage in check. Not giving those bastards any more money that we need to. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I'll have to call and see if it's still a possibility. Maybe they are somewhat closer, and therefore cheaper. I thought $1200 was expensive, it might have been $12,000.

20 hours ago, EridanusSV said:

OP, sign up for StarLink. Once the hardware beta comes out, you can get it for $300 and try it. I live in Alaska, and most rural areas here are excited for it. ISP's here charges native and rural communities up to $500 a month for unreliable internet. Starlink will only charge you less than a $100/mo IIRC.

I'm subscribed to the newsletter. I'm really excited for it honestly. I'm already paying $70/mo. That's awful that they charge that much, but if that's the only option, you kind of have to or go without.