Is my pc bottlenecked?

DesoluteYoYo

Hello, just wondering if my gpu is being bottlenecked by my cpu, I have a gtx1070 and a i5-7400 I play at 1440p 144hz.

A lot of new titles would struggle with that i5-7400. Do you have two ram dimms or just one? That would also impact performance quite a lot. Also, what games do you play most?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

That depends on the Games you play. Not all new Games take advantage of all cores or threads.

We need some Data to tell if you have a Bottleneck or not.

Bottlenecks get hyped up more often than necessary.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Every computer has a bottleneck somewhere. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

it's as easy as setting up an OSD with GPU and CPU usage.

we can't tell you this as it heavily depends on games  settings etc

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Your computer HAS to have a bottleneck. It won't function without it. If your computer had NO bottleneck, then it would be faster than the fastest supercomputer. Whether it's the CPU or GPU or RAM or Drive(s), that is unknown. But with what YOU have, your CPU SHOULDN'T be the bottleneck. I would suggest checking the Drive or RAM to make sure that they aren't, but I know people who have worse CPU's with similar graphics card and no CPU bottleneck. You could also check in "Activity Monitor" to see if it's using too much CPU. That would give you a good representation of the CPU usage.

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

Every computer has a bottleneck somewhere. 

Yeah but did you read the rest of the post?

49 minutes ago, Pokeamat said:

Yeah but did you read the rest of the post?

Of course, but it must be said first that all PCs have a bottleneck somewhere.

Yes bottlenecks are hardware based but they only appear when a workflow has a requirement higher than the system as a whole can meet, then a specific part will be the bottleneck of that system.

In gaming we mostly experience GPU bottlenecks or CPU bottlenecks. Both result in lower FPS than expected.

Sometimes the GPU just can’t push out frames fast enough, sometimes the CPU can’t push data to the GPU fast enough. But these are all extreme situations that do not happen 100% of the time, or even 100% during an activity like gaming, it might be a specific scene or section of gameplay.

Bottlenecks are not as scary of a thing as they are made out to be, in essence they are a value for money issue over anything else as having a slightly more powerful GPU than you need isn’t a bad thing unless you really care about getting 100% of of something all the time.

It is OK to pair newer GPUs with older CPUs, only the user can then determine if the bottleneck is acceptable or not. Sometimes it really might be the case that a slightly OP GPU for a CPU is just fine, like when it is a gift or in a system where silence required, the GPU just doesn’t have to work hard but this also requires some compromises on settings.

As long as the end user experience is what was expected and the purchase has caused no financial hardship then all is well.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

17 hours ago, DesoluteYoYo said:

Hello, just wondering if my gpu is being bottlenecked by my cpu, I have a gtx1070 and a i5-7400 I play at 1440p 144hz.

Type in google "battleneck calclulator) and it will take you to a site that has a battleneck calc 
https://pc-builds.com/calculator/ 
or just click the link 

29 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

Type in google "battleneck calclulator) and it will take you to a site that has a battleneck calc 
https://pc-builds.com/calculator/ 
or just click the link 

I much prefer to scour the net for comparisons. Those sites you linked are (much maligned here) just one perspective.

If you gather enough info from a variety of sources, some more reliable than others then you will have a picture about a potential bottleneck or not. I say potential as it’s never proven until it’s in your system doing what you do and you find your experience is affected.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

-> Moved to PC Gaming

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv