PS5 DE vs XBOX series s

_lucalink

Hi,

I was planning on getting a XBOX Series X but have since decided that I just cant justify spending that much on a machine that I will probably only use for a couple of hours a day at most. I was then going to get the series S but saw that it would only have around the same performance as a ONE X. Seeing as the PS5 Digital edition is only £110 more and has the same specs as the Standard PS5 without the disc drive it seems like the better option overall? For some context I will be playing on a 60hz 4k TV most of the time and this will be my first console (recently sold my PC as it really didn't suit me as I really needed a laptop) so I dont have any existing console game libraries. 

2 minutes ago, _lucalink said:

For some context I will be playing on a 60hz 4k TV most of the time and this will be my first console

you won't be reaching 4k performance on the series S all that well. for significantly better graphics, get the PS5

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, _lucalink said:

around the same performance as a ONE X

Not really, from the looks of it, the Series S has a weaker GPU than the one X, and a CPU similar to the one in the Series X.

The PS5 digital edition is exactly like a standard PS5 without a CD drive, no cutdown specs in any way shape or form. While the Series S is a cutdown of the Series X, with lower specs and no CD drive. With the Series S you'll barely do 1440p 30fps in AAA, maybe, while the PS5 does at least 4K30 or 1080p60 in AAA.

16 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Not really, from the looks of it, the Series S has a weaker GPU than the one X, and a CPU similar to the one in the Series X.

identical cpu, lower clocks iirc. and same amount of ram 10gb of ram. the gpu may be worse in tflops, on the xss but I bet it is better or the same as the (efectively) rx 580 in the xbox one x.

edit: no, its 10gb ram.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

in my opinion if you don't care about exclusives the XsS (or even the XsX) is the better deal if you live in a country where the 25$ dollar a month deal is available

$25 time 24 is $600 minus console msrp is $300 devided by 60$ is 5 games in two years and probably you'll play more than 5 years

you'll have free access to first party games and EA play subscription (battlefield, need for speed, fifa etc)

1 hour ago, YsGrandi said:

in my opinion if you don't care about exclusives the XsS (or even the XsX) is the better deal if you live in a country where the 25$ dollar a month deal is available

$25 time 24 is $600 minus console msrp is $300 devided by 60$ is 5 games in two years and probably you'll play more than 5 years

you'll have free access to first party games and EA play subscription (battlefield, need for speed, fifa etc)

I'm assuming he is in the UK as he used £, the good news is that XBox All Access will be coming to the UK. I am guessing it will be £25 a month for a Series X and Gamepass. I would do that if I was worried about cost, Gamepass is the ultimate value in gaming, every exclusive from MS, soon including Bethesda, and EA play which wont have the latest EA games but everything else, and bundled with the console you save on getting both and have no large upfront cost.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/xbox-all-access-expands-to-12-countries-this-holiday/

I think buying an all-digital console just to save £90 upfront is shortsighted and you'll end up paying more in the long run since games are almost always more expensive on PSN than they are in stores that have to compete with each other for game sales... at least until the game is 1-2 years old and PSN doesn't have to care about undercutting retailers.

9 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I think buying an all-digital console just to save £90 upfront is shortsighted and you'll end up paying more in the long run since games are almost always more expensive on PSN than they are in stores that have to compete with each other for game sales... at least until the game is 1-2 years old and PSN doesn't have to care about undercutting retailers.

Games go on sale at PSN often. Physical libraries can be a pain to keep... and what happens if the next console is all digital? Besides, "go to the store, it's cheaper" is a big ask during a pandemic. I think it's worth paying a premium to stay safe and not worry about what happens to your library with the PS6 or your next move.

37 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Games go on sale at PSN often. Physical libraries can be a pain to keep... and what happens if the next console is all digital? Besides, "go to the store, it's cheaper" is a big ask during a pandemic. I think it's worth paying a premium to stay safe and not worry about what happens to your library with the PS6 or your next move.

Meh you can order online from Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Amazon, etc and still get the better prices without walking into a store. Going all-digital you limit yourself to one and only one store. I usually buy digital if the game is a couple of years or more old since PSN prices are usually better than physical when they go on sale, but newer stuff I usually buy physical since it's cheaper when I have a bunch of stores competing with each other.