Samsung Odyssey G7

Ducati888

Alright y'all I'm wanting to make an upgrade from my current 1080p monitor which is the MSI G27C2 144hz 1ms response, really like the monitor thus far. Have had it about 2 years.

it was purchased second hand, don't judge me. I upgraded my GPU to a 2070 super about half a year ago, which it slays anything in its path at 1080p. Unless we are talking minectaft, then it gets brought to its knees with rtx on. Ha. Well I was going to do some brand loyalty and pick up the 1440p variant of the MSI monitor I am rocking now, but after seeing good reviews on the G7 I am intrigued.  

Do any of you out there have one? Thoughts? Impressions? Recommendations? 

As always you all here at thr LTT forum rock!

If you live in the US I'd wait until Black Friday, see what goes on sale. Might be able to score a significantly better monitor.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you live in the US I'd wait until Black Friday, see what goes on sale. Might be able to score a significantly better monitor.

I am indeed a US citizen. 

Black Friday seems to be hit or miss with merchant stock, but not a bad idea to wait and see what deals are kicking around at that time! Thanks! 

7 hours ago, Ducati888 said:

I am indeed a US citizen. 

Black Friday seems to be hit or miss with merchant stock, but not a bad idea to wait and see what deals are kicking around at that time! Thanks! 

You wouldn't be looking at one specific monitor, but rather seeing what other options get steep discounts. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

You wouldn't be looking at one specific monitor, but rather seeing what other options get steep discounts. 

Yeah man that's the hard part though. I like to get a really good grasp on the product. All the pros and cons. See if hardware unboxed video, or any other monitor reviewers put their two cents on. See a true indepth analysis ya know? Would be kinda hard to pull the trigger on something even at a discount we are talking $600+ I'd be droppin. I wanna make sure if fits what I need. 

I guess maybe having a few picked out now that I've "approved " for my needs and see if those go on sale? Then I'll already know about them not just oh look a 1440p 27" $200 off, shot in the dark? 

Thanks again man really! 

There are quality control problems with the G7 so you might need to return it few times before you get one that works correctly.

And you should always look at the reviews before buying:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-g7

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_odyssey_g7_c27g75t.htm

The best monitor i can fully recommend is the LG 27GN850-B (2020 model). It has everything you'd want and is not that expensive at 450$. Additionally it has no known flaws or quality issues. Rock 2 of them myself and couldn't be happier with my decision. Hardware unboxed already reviewed the 27GL850-B, which is the 2019 model with the same panel.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 hours ago, Gaires said:

There are quality control problems with the G7 so you might need to return it few times before you get one that works correctly.

And you should always look at the reviews before buying:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-g7

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_odyssey_g7_c27g75t.htm

Oh I've seen the reviews.  I appreciate you for adding the fourm topic! I was looking for something like that with real world user's! 

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

The best monitor i can fully recommend is the LG 27GN850-B (2020 model). It has everything you'd want and is not that expensive at 450$. Additionally it has no known flaws or quality issues. Rock 2 of them myself and couldn't be happier with my decision. Hardware unboxed already reviewed the 27GL850-B, which is the 2019 model with the same panel.

I have had my eyes on thst monitor as well! The price to performance seems almost too good to be true.  

Just now, Ducati888 said:

Oh I've seen the reviews.  I appreciate you for adding the fourm topic! I was looking for something like that with real world user's! 

Well, I also posted the reviews to counter some of the points Stahlmann made.

1) Reviewers were not able to produce the flickering problem while consuming normal content.

2) Contrast seem to be fine on the reviewed monitors.

3) Rtings didn't have huge blacklight bleeding problems, TFT had some and Hardware Unboxed had a bunch.

Then the bad:

The reviewers do agree that the curve is tad too much, but that's personal prefrence.

Local dimming is just bad.

And while Rtings and Hardware Unboxed say that the HDR implementation is bad, TFT seems to give it a pass.

This is why I tell people that they might need to return the G7 few times before getting one that works correctly. It can be really good monitor, assuming you like the curve, but there seems to be lots of quality control problems at the moment.

Real world user here.

Maybe a shocker for the other posters here, I love my G7.

I pre-ordered mine from Memory Express in early July right around when all the reviews hit and I definitely had some fears after hearing about some flickering issues that some people were having. I've daily drove mine since early/mid-August, I received the first G7 32" that landed in Canada for consumer use from my understanding. Here is a summary of my thoughts.

• All monitors, including the new LG 4K panels and the Samsung G7, that use the new VESA display compression to achieve high refresh rate and full colour over DP 1.4a are not the same experience as a normal monitor. Sleep settings don't always work right and HDR settings may or may not work properly from time to time. If anything this is the biggest pet peeve I have with the monitor. That being said, literally turning the monitor on manually when it won't wake up is the extent of the issue. Even if HDR does something funny, turning the monitor on and off seems to fix the issue. Not really a big deal and I can count on one hand the amount of times that has happened.
  • I had some strange issues, like flickering in a couple of games, right out of the box with the monitor. After updating the firmware from Samsung.ca and turning off adaptive brightness most of my issues disappeared. The only game I've had an issue with this monitor after those changes was Elite Dangerous. That being said I set a 120 FPS limit on Elite and disabled adaptive sync specifically for the game within the nVidia settings which has fixed the issue. To be fair I had issues with my old 34" Asus panel and adaptive sync as well and had to do the same thing, something with the game and the nVidia drivers doesn't play nicely at high frame rates when adaptive sync is on.
  • I came from a less curved 34" Asus monitor. I cannot tell the difference day to day between my 1000R 32" G7 and my old monitor. I have a strong theory. I definitely noticed going from my much older totally flat Dell 27" to the Asus 34" monitor a few years back. I think if you've never had a curved monitor before or daily drive a flat screen the G7 can be jarring. If you already daily a curve large format monitor though I doubt you'll hate the G7 curve. It doesn't colour or white balance shift anything for me from about a 24" viewing distance.
  • I have had zero backlight issues. The blacks and contrast have been amazing. Sample size of one of course, but I've seen bad monitors make it to customers from every manufacturer. Returning a shitty panel happens with everyone (LG, MSI, Asus, Samsung, all of them). If you don't like what you receive that's not necessarily a reflection of the monitor series. You would hope QA is better than that on high end monitors, but I have a super ultra wide from LG on my other desk for my work laptop and I had to return it once for white balance/black issues. As far as I know, I'm the only person who ever had an issue with that monitor based on its five star reviews. 

So my summary

• When and if you get your G7, update the firmware and turn off adaptive brightness.
  • If you have any games with strange issues, look and see if there is an adaptive sync problem specific to that game. 
  • The curve is only jarring for flat screen purists.
  • Blacklight bleed happens on all backlit panels, QA sucks from everyone to some extent. If yours is bad rebox the sucker and wait for a replacement.
  • Make sure to update to the latest nVidia drivers. There was a driver specific profile for this monitor that is critical to fix most issues that were reported in early reviews.

2 hours ago, Ducati888 said:

I have had my eyes on thst monitor as well! The price to performance seems almost too good to be true.  

Well after i bought 2 myself and i also have 2 friends with the GL model from 2019 i can say comfortably it's an amazing monitor and not at all a gamble to get a good one. None of the 4 models i had my eyes on had any defects or issues. It just works and i'm still amazed by the colors.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

41 minutes ago, Ducati888 said:

Yeah man that's the hard part though. I like to get a really good grasp on the product. All the pros and cons. See if hardware unboxed video, or any other monitor reviewers put their two cents on. See a true indepth analysis ya know? Would be kinda hard to pull the trigger on something even at a discount we are talking $600+ I'd be droppin. I wanna make sure if fits what I need. 

I guess maybe having a few picked out now that I've "approved " for my needs and see if those go on sale? Then I'll already know about them not just oh look a 1440p 27" $200 off, shot in the dark? 

Thanks again man really! 

Yeah, that's definitely the best way to do Black Friday shopping. If you hone in on a single product, you're very likely to miss out on some great deals.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

On 10/5/2020 at 11:51 PM, Ducati888 said:

Alright y'all I'm wanting to make an upgrade from my current 1080p monitor which is the MSI G27C2 144hz 1ms response, really like the monitor thus far. Have had it about 2 years.

it was purchased second hand, don't judge me. I upgraded my GPU to a 2070 super about half a year ago, which it slays anything in its path at 1080p. Unless we are talking minectaft, then it gets brought to its knees with rtx on. Ha. Well I was going to do some brand loyalty and pick up the 1440p variant of the MSI monitor I am rocking now, but after seeing good reviews on the G7 I am intrigued.  

Do any of you out there have one? Thoughts? Impressions? Recommendations? 

As always you all here at thr LTT forum rock!

There is the AOC 27g2

The BenQ EX2780Q

Those two are also good options, but the G7 should ve very nice, full size 32 inch (like not an ultawide) is huge

On 10/14/2020 at 11:35 AM, Elad.Evron said:

There is the AOC 27g2

The BenQ EX2780Q

Those two are also good options, but the G7 should ve very nice, full size 32 inch (like not an ultawide) is huge

Thanks! They make the G7 in 27"

I agree 32 is huge for a monitor, personally 

On 10/7/2020 at 8:41 AM, sterdog said:

Real world user here.

Maybe a shocker for the other posters here, I love my G7.

I pre-ordered mine from Memory Express in early July right around when all the reviews hit and I definitely had some fears after hearing about some flickering issues that some people were having. I've daily drove mine since early/mid-August, I received the first G7 32" that landed in Canada for consumer use from my understanding. Here is a summary of my thoughts.

• All monitors, including the new LG 4K panels and the Samsung G7, that use the new VESA display compression to achieve high refresh rate and full colour over DP 1.4a are not the same experience as a normal monitor. Sleep settings don't always work right and HDR settings may or may not work properly from time to time. If anything this is the biggest pet peeve I have with the monitor. That being said, literally turning the monitor on manually when it won't wake up is the extent of the issue. Even if HDR does something funny, turning the monitor on and off seems to fix the issue. Not really a big deal and I can count on one hand the amount of times that has happened.
  • I had some strange issues, like flickering in a couple of games, right out of the box with the monitor. After updating the firmware from Samsung.ca and turning off adaptive brightness most of my issues disappeared. The only game I've had an issue with this monitor after those changes was Elite Dangerous. That being said I set a 120 FPS limit on Elite and disabled adaptive sync specifically for the game within the nVidia settings which has fixed the issue. To be fair I had issues with my old 34" Asus panel and adaptive sync as well and had to do the same thing, something with the game and the nVidia drivers doesn't play nicely at high frame rates when adaptive sync is on.
  • I came from a less curved 34" Asus monitor. I cannot tell the difference day to day between my 1000R 32" G7 and my old monitor. I have a strong theory. I definitely noticed going from my much older totally flat Dell 27" to the Asus 34" monitor a few years back. I think if you've never had a curved monitor before or daily drive a flat screen the G7 can be jarring. If you already daily a curve large format monitor though I doubt you'll hate the G7 curve. It doesn't colour or white balance shift anything for me from about a 24" viewing distance.
  • I have had zero backlight issues. The blacks and contrast have been amazing. Sample size of one of course, but I've seen bad monitors make it to customers from every manufacturer. Returning a shitty panel happens with everyone (LG, MSI, Asus, Samsung, all of them). If you don't like what you receive that's not necessarily a reflection of the monitor series. You would hope QA is better than that on high end monitors, but I have a super ultra wide from LG on my other desk for my work laptop and I had to return it once for white balance/black issues. As far as I know, I'm the only person who ever had an issue with that monitor based on its five star reviews. 

So my summary

• When and if you get your G7, update the firmware and turn off adaptive brightness.
  • If you have any games with strange issues, look and see if there is an adaptive sync problem specific to that game. 
  • The curve is only jarring for flat screen purists.
  • Blacklight bleed happens on all backlit panels, QA sucks from everyone to some extent. If yours is bad rebox the sucker and wait for a replacement.
  • Make sure to update to the latest nVidia drivers. There was a driver specific profile for this monitor that is critical to fix most issues that were reported in early reviews.

I have the G7 27in, rtx 3080.  I'm not able to see gysnc in the Nvidia Control Panel under the Display menu...I have the latest Nvidia game drivers installed and update the G7 with the latest firmware to 1007.1.   If this monitor is compatible with Gysnc wouldn't it show in the control panel?  If you have any suggestions on how to see this, I would appreciate it.