3 members of Team Xecuter have been indicted in the USA on 11 felony charges

Master Disaster
18 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I do love that you think robbing someone is not immoral.  Because that's what it is rather you like it or not, and you're making excuses to justify a criminal act by sating it's not wrong.  Well fine, I don't think homicide is wrong.  I think it's perfectly fine to murder someone, and since I'm mentally disabled do not argue with me because I just don't like people as someone with Asperger's.  Remember, it's not immoral!

Cool, I'm glad we agree on something.

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

The problem with cooyright and patent laws, at least in the US, is that they were written a long time ago and never really challenged on the logic aspect.  So, they just stuck.

Worse, they weren’t. There was a gigantic and highly questionable change to patent law many years ago largely driven by Disney and then picked up by a bunch of western countries.  It used to be shorter and more limited.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, divito said:

There is a book I have called Moral Minds that attempts to suggest that morality is universal as a result of nature. 

Sounds like a riff on “beyond good and evil” by a guy named nietzsche.  Late 19th century.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I pirate shows and movies because there's a real lack of centralized access and accessibility, I also own quite a few of the things I pirate. Digital versions are far superior to a stream or physical in some cases. Also I really don't want to own a lot of the stuff I watch, I just want to binge it over a few days, and they're not priced for that kind of usage. Also I already subscribe to several services already, I have little desire to add more of them.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

On 10/4/2020 at 3:01 PM, BuckGup said:

Piracy exists because of greedy corporations. They are too ignorant to think maybe it's them and not the consumer. There are countless studies showing why people pirate and it isn't to simply steal things and stick it to the big guy. People pay for games when the developers are supportive, listen to the consumer, and it isn't flooded with micro transaction or shitty DRM. 

I wonder how many EA games get pirated to any other dev.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Theft is wrong regardless of your reasoning for it.

It is also a theft when i pay for lets say 4k on netflix, and have everything to do it (hw wise and bandwidth). But they only serve me 720p for some retarded BS reason.  Even though i pay i still get treated as a pirate. Dont be surprised if ppl will start to show you the middle finger saying "if i get treated as a pirate i might as well become one".

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

That's not theft, that's called false advertisng.   Also, have you even tried contacting them to resolve the issue?

They would simply "kick me out"  saying "use windows and ie/edge"........ (<- no chance thats going to happen) To top it off there is no 720p sub, 480p, 1080p, and 4k only. At that point i would call it a theft, they dont even warn you at checkout.

9 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Again, that's false advertising not theft.

Yeah whatever......

What do you mean they kicked you out?

Basically they sent me that and ignored any followup e-mail.

Also, do you have a 4k tv or monitor?  Are you sure your ISP isn't limiting you?   That's rather common.

r5 1400, gtx 1660, 16 GB RAM, lg 27MU67-B. ISP not limiting, they wouldnt dare after pissing me off with their CGN shenanigans...... (They know if they try anything "smart" i would catch on pretty quickly.)

26 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I'm guessing you already tried driver reinstalls and making sure that the res was set to 4k. 

It seems you dont know about this, but the drm crap netflix uses (i found this out on my own as netflix was keeping silent) will screw over anything that is not their app or ie/edge. But once again it only affects their clients, pirates still get the content in whatever resolution they want it hassle-free. Shenanigans like this is the reason piracy is so commonplace. The fragmentation isnt helping either.....

On 10/4/2020 at 4:21 AM, Arika S said:

i bet this is what made all the eyes turn on them and bring down to proverbial hammer.

It's the reason Nintendo went after them first. Nintendo will get everybody eventually, they always do.

On 10/4/2020 at 12:00 PM, Vanderburg said:

Whether or not you were going to buy it is totally irrelevant to whether piracy is stealing.

You are right in that regard: piracy isn't stealing regardless of whether you would have hypothetically bought or not. 

What I don't get is people paying "licensing fees" for pirate content. At that point what are you pirating for? All different reasons I can think of, or have heard, for getting pirate content would imply not doing it as soon as payments are involved. 

Then again, there used to be people buying CDs and DVDs in the street.. 

🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You are right in that regard: piracy isn't stealing regardless of whether you would have hypothetically bought or not.

This is definitely not what I said, but you know that. I believe piracy is, in fact, theft in many cases.

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

What I don't get is people paying "licensing fees" for pirate content. At that point what are you pirating for? All different reasons I can think of, or have heard, for getting pirate content would imply not doing it as soon as payments are involved. 

Then again, there used to be people buying CDs and DVDs in the street.. 

🤷‍♂️

How is that hard to comprehend? Bootlegs have been a thing for centuries with almost all media. Main reason, cheaper. They, in some cases, were also easier to access, or in the language you wanted where official ones didn't yet or ever offer such a thing.

Way back in the past, I had a friend who used to send me subtitled anime on VHS before Funimation, Pioneer, or any others, ever even had the licenses to produce and distribute in North America for any of those animes. In some cases, no one ever picked up those rights so there were no official channels in which to purchase some of the shows.

That caveat for some people is too much lag time. With anime specifically, but prevalent in other areas too, sometimes (and obviously) it is years for an anime to get licensed for your region and re-dubbed/subtitled. There are many people that will download fan-subs or purchase subbed DVDs until proper media is released.

47 minutes ago, Vanderburg said:

This is definitely not what I said, but you know that.

You said the answer doesn't depend on what people would do if, which is correct. I also provided my own answer.

47 minutes ago, Vanderburg said:

I believe piracy is, in fact, theft in many cases.

It isn't a matter of faith, though.

Although if we discuss piracy not in a metaphorical way, but as in "boarding ships and taking their cargo" then yes, theft is definitely involved :P 

4 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It isn't a matter of faith, though.

I didn't claim it to be a matter of faith, it's a matter of opinion, just like yours is. Because you're certainly not spouting legal fact, just your opinion.