Cherry Mx blue/brown Recommendation?

Cavalry Canuck

Good evening,

I just purchased a Corsair K70 MK.2, with MX Cherry Reds. For a couple of reasons, I have considered ordering a K95 with different switches.

Overall, I like the keyboard. I find the keys to be a bit spaced apart, and dare I say tall (particularly the fourth and fifth rows from the bottom). It's a nice change from the old Logitech, which is now dead and in many pieces.

Though, I do think I could do better with the switch selection. Firstly, I did not realize until this keyboard that I have the habit of resting my fingers on the keys, specifically the "A" key during FPS/RTS gaming. Unintentionally pressing keys is driving me nuts during gaming sessions, particularly when I am depressing just enough to trigger the key, but I don't notice I am doing it until my sprite is running anti-clockwise circles. I can adjust my habits, but then I lose focus on otherwise immediate priorities. The second concern is that I tend to catch the corner of adjacent keys while typing. Any little nick (Including accidentally striking the "S" and "m" keys while writing those three words) results in unwanted character inputs. Third, they are just too damn soft. I bottom out these keys pretty hard. It doesn't hurt my fingers, but I am concerned I may break the switches or the keys. While I enjoy gaming, I don't mind a *very* firm keypress. Something with twice the resistance Of the current MX Reds would not be an unwelcome alteration.

In short, I think the MX Cherry Reds are far too soft for my needs. I want switches I can rest my fingers on, and wont immediately deliver a character input if accidentally bumped/grazed. While not outwardly critical, Reds noisy enough as it is. Would I be better off to try the MX Brown RGBs or MX Blue RGBs when I order the K95? If I find neither are suitable, what RGB-compliant keys could I swap in down the road?

Thank you for your time,

Matthew

Blues are clicky, but it's a good sound. The tactile mechanism actually allows you to rest your finger on the keys a little bit without triggering a keystroke. Try them out. 

Another option is Cherry MX Greens. They're just stiffer Blues - weighted at 80cN vs the 50 on blues. They're rarer, though.

If it's the noise you care about, just get a cheap set of O-rings that prevent your keys from bottoming out. Reds with O-rings are basically dead silent.

Browns absolutely suck. They don't have a mechanism for tactility. They're literally reds that have a stupid little notch cut into them so they 'scratch' on the way down. They're a lazy medium between blues and reds that feels bad, has the advantages of neither, and the new con of feeling like absolute garbage.

9 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Blues are clicky, but it's a good sound. The tactile mechanism actually allows you to rest your finger on the keys a little bit without triggering a keystroke. Try them out. 

Another option is Cherry MX Greens. They're just stiffer Blues - weighted at 80cN vs the 50 on blues. They're rarer, though.

If it's the noise you care about, just get a cheap set of O-rings that prevent your keys from bottoming out. Reds with O-rings are basically dead silent.

Browns absolutely suck. They don't have a mechanism for tactility. They're literally reds that have a stupid little notch cut into them so they 'scratch' on the way down. They're a lazy medium between blues and reds that feels bad, has the advantages of neither, and the new con of feeling like absolute garbage.

Noise is a minimum concern. I want something less sensitive and firmer, first and foremost. It sounds like you suggest I should order the K95 with MX Blues, and see where it goes?

I also recommend going for MX Blue instead of MX Brown.

Honestly, its best if you can walk into some store and try the ones on display but if that's not an option then I understand why it may be difficult to base purchase on a "feel" description.

From what I've read I was convinced that MX Brown is the way to go. That they are a good mix between MX Red and MX Blue. The moment I tried them at the store I absolutely hated them.

And then I tried MX Blue and I immediately loved them. Yes, they are loud as hell, I got some cheap O-rings from eBay and now it's not as bad but still quite loud. I had to setup my mic so that it does not pick it up when I type but unless you have your mic on an arm there is not much you can do as the vibrations from the desk will get to it and it will pick it up.

But otherwise, if resting your fingers on the keyboard is a thing (I do it as well all the time), I have absolutely no issues with it with MX Blue, they require some force to press it down and you also feel when its going to click to activate the key.

MX Greens are even more difficult to press but good luck finding a keyboard that has them.

On 10/4/2020 at 2:25 AM, WereCat said:

I also recommend going for MX Blue instead of MX Brown.

Honestly, its best if you can walk into some store and try the ones on display but if that's not an option then I understand why it may be difficult to base purchase on a "feel" description.

From what I've read I was convinced that MX Brown is the way to go. That they are a good mix between MX Red and MX Blue. The moment I tried them at the store I absolutely hated them.

And then I tried MX Blue and I immediately loved them. Yes, they are loud as hell, I got some cheap O-rings from eBay and now it's not as bad but still quite loud. I had to setup my mic so that it does not pick it up when I type but unless you have your mic on an arm there is not much you can do as the vibrations from the desk will get to it and it will pick it up.

But otherwise, if resting your fingers on the keyboard is a thing (I do it as well all the time), I have absolutely no issues with it with MX Blue, they require some force to press it down and you also feel when its going to click to activate the key.

MX Greens are even more difficult to press but good luck finding a keyboard that has them.

Unfortunately, in-store testing is unavailable in my area due to The Sickness. However, 30-day no-questions-asked returns are not a big deal. Figures.

I thank you for your answer. I think I will order the K95 with the Cherry MX Blues. If it still gives me grief, I will look for alternatives.

Don't get Cherry switch, they're terrible.  What is sounds like you want it a heavy linear since you're used to linear and just don't like the weight.  So just get some heavy linear like a black switch. Gat Ink Black or Kailh Box Black, or NK Silk Black. 

If you want to stick with linear and want heavy switches go for black or there is also a grey switch of some kind that has like 90g actuation force

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

On 10/4/2020 at 4:12 AM, Aereldor said:

Cherry xm browns are like that, once you've tried other tactile switches you realize that cherry brown are probably the less tactile of them all ... which result in a scratchy linear switch. 

@Cavalry Canuck as suggested before you should probably try to find some black switches as they are usually quite heavy and linear.  Avoid cherry and outemu if possible.  

If you want something tactile and a bit heavier then you might want to try kailh box burnt orange.  Bit heavier spring but not that extreme, nice tactile bump and I find them quite solid with barely any wobble. 

If you want some clicky then kailh box navy are probably meant for you there.  I have the box white and the spring is quite light ... box navy have a heavier spring and thicker click bar.  Also, I find click bar provides a way more satisfying click than any click jacket I've heard.  I really don't like clicky switches ... those box white are starting to make me like them. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

On 10/5/2020 at 2:31 AM, Dr0y said:

Cherry xm browns are like that, once you've tried other tactile switches you realize that cherry brown are probably the less tactile of them all ... which result in a scratchy linear switch. 

@Cavalry Canuck as suggested before you should probably try to find some black switches as they are usually quite heavy and linear.  Avoid cherry and outemu if possible.  

If you want something tactile and a bit heavier then you might want to try kailh box burnt orange.  Bit heavier spring but not that extreme, nice tactile bump and I find them quite solid with barely any wobble. 

If you want some clicky then kailh box navy are probably meant for you there.  I have the box white and the spring is quite light ... box navy have a heavier spring and thicker click bar.  Also, I find click bar provides a way more satisfying click than any click jacket I've heard.  I really don't like clicky switches ... those box white are starting to make me like them. 

Well the only switches available with the keyboard I wanted were browns. So I swapped the K70 in for it. I do find I make less typing errors with the browns than the reds, but it's still a royal pain in the ass. I do notice a bit of a bump, and I think I wouldn't like it very much if it were more prominent. I still want something stiffer though.

Which of the suggested linear switches are suitable for RGB use? 

5 hours ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Which of the suggested linear switches are suitable for RGB use? 

I don't know much about linear switches ... I have the gateron yellow and they are smoothness incarnated but the spring is quite light and the bottom housing is black so it blocks the light of the led.  I know there's a version with kinda white/cream bottom housing so they might be better for rgb.  As for other linear well I don't really know ... since you said that you have a tendency to makes typing error probably cause of unwanted key press if I got it right then you probably would like a switch with a heavier spring.  Gateron black might be for you there as they are linear like the reds or yellow but with a stiffer spring.  

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

What are some good vendors to acquire switches from? Google results keep giving me links to keyboards that contain the switches I am looking for, not the switches themselves.

1 hour ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

What are some good vendors to acquire switches from? Google results keep giving me links to keyboards that contain the switches I am looking for, not the switches themselves.

novelkeys.xyz, KBDFans.com, zealpc.net, mechanicalkeyboards.com, pcgamingrace.com, thekey.company, primekb.com

2 hours ago, Cavalry Canuck said:

Hey there.

See the vendors that geo3 mentioned above. Also consider:

Note: For stores not based in your country/region, please read the store's shipping policies carefully. Additional import duties and taxes may be collected.

If shopping from the U.S., MechanicalKeyboards, Kono Store, and NovelKeys are my go-to. Most others are saddled with high shipping costs and I'm a cheap bastard, haha. Trying out a shipment from KPrepublic, if that one turns out well, I'd recommend them too.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

I usually buy my swtiches from amazon or ebay ... mostly ebay and they usually are cheaper there than anywhere else cause shipping and import duties suck ... and exchange rate too

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd