New High-End PC Build Plan for Work and Gaming

Lorunification

Hello Everyone,

After 6 years, I am ready to retire my trusty workhorse (PCPartPicker Link) that has been upgraded with new RAM, new storage and a new GPU since its first days in 2014. For my new system, that will be used for work as well as gaming, I have the following plan

Budget (including currency): 3000€

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yDvdjp

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($383.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($100.00)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($234.99 @ Walmart)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory  ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($168.25 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($800.00)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.93 @ Newegg)

My plan is to have the system as white (and black) as possible, RGB is not important at all. I am currently waiting for Zen 3 to be announced and then see if I will wait for the release or go with a current Ryzen CPU.

First thing: I know the 4000D has a USB-C port at the front but the x570-Pro does not seem to have usb-c. Does someone know of a suitable board with usb-c?

Second, I have checked part compatibility, but if someone with more experience than me could maybe check if I missed anything, it would be much appreciated.

Finally, I am happy to get feedback on the part selection.

Thanks in advance!

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency

why 3800xt? get  normal 3800x or 3900x

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

5 minutes ago, mahyar said:

i agree, if hes going high end may aswell get a 12 core 3900x 

7 minutes ago, mahyar said:

I thought about it, but went with the 3800xt for the higher clock speed. But I guess you are right that the 3900x would be the better choice overall, since 100 Mhz won't be much of a single core performance gain.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

This would be what i'd go for with 2000-3000€ and a black/white theme:

Why would you choose the MSI B550 Motherboard over the X570?

Seeing that you picked the XT for higher clocks, why not go for Intel 10700k?, yes I've said it but hear me out, it's the same price and has faster clocks and you have also picked one of the best coolers in the market for it already, so you could overclock it to maybe 5Ghz easily (even to 5.2 if you have some experience, since I read people have reached that) and you might get 1-10fps in terms of game performance, there are a lot of factors that determine how many fps you gain (For example, in lower resolutions like 1080p you will notice higher and wider fps gap, but in higher resolutions like 4k, the performance difference will be mostly negligible, the higher the resloution, the more load is gonna be put on the GPU rather than the CPU) but mostly it's a bit higher than amd's, and obviously other work stuff such as Adobe products which often like to use only one core, and even multi-threaded tasks, the Intel is gonna beat AMD in that regard with the higher overall clock speeds,

also you are picking a 3200mhz RAMs for ryzen, which can Impact the performance lightly (maybe like 5-7 fps if I remember correctly)

But be aware, the next AMD CPUs are gonna be announced after like 9 days, and I'm pretty sure it will beat the shit out of Intel CPUs for the next 6 months at least, so I highly recommend you wait for it

Now I know you want a white build, but sadly the white color is left out of market as usual, so your motherboards options are quite limited if you really want that white color, I can recommend either Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ULTRA, or, Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING, now If you really want to go for a white color (through it's grey I feel it fits way better), Gigabyte Z490 VISION D is the way to go, they are all good for that price point and you won't go wrong for anyone of those, specially the Asus one (maybe narrow it down with what you like/want)

Watch this video for more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iLS3poPn8o, best video that covers this side of the build

As for other parts I think it's mostly Subjective to what you want to do (like storage) so pick what you think you will use in the future and benefit from