Can't Make My Network Devices See Eachother

caiopedia
Go to solution Solved by Slayerking92,

You need to keep the ISP modem connected to the router.  The unmanaged switch would need to be connected to the router through the 1 LAN port, then everything else can connect to the switch.

Hi, I'm a super network noob and don't know what else to do to fix this.

I basically run my home on a Google Wifi mesh system and for some months I've been very annoyed that the Google puck only has 1 LAN port. That makes me keep switching the wired device connected to that port from a Plex server PC to a backup disk every other day. That sucks.

In order to expand available LAN ports I added a simple unmanaged gigabit switch to connect the backup disk but the other devices (specially the Mackbook) do not "see" that device. If I plug the Plex server to the switch it is also no reachable to all clients. My Plex is setup to LAN only.

This is how my network is setup (when I keep changing cables between PC and Time Capsule).

current.thumb.png.07c79c1d02ae22b3a9741bac16843b47.png

This is what I would like to setup (Time Capsule and/or Plex server permanently connected):

desired.thumb.png.085174a1f2520eac7389c31ca4e09753.png

I can't tell if there is any additional config to be set in Google Wifi app or if this switch would not work to my needs. 

Thanks in advance for your attention!

You need to keep the ISP modem connected to the router.  The unmanaged switch would need to be connected to the router through the 1 LAN port, then everything else can connect to the switch.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

The Google Wi-Fi is acting as it's own Router hosting a DHCP server. By connecting the switch before the Google Wi-Fi your ATC is on a different network.

In your scenario hopefully the Modem is also a router since it means the ATP might collect your public IP and that would be bad.

What you want is Modem -> Router -> Switch -> everything else.