How do I Compile XP Source Code

Poet129
Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

1) we can't tell you because that would be illegal

2) we don't know

lol, good luck with that.

Really unlikely that is the whole code, and even if it is, they most likely have customized compilers and makefiles to create multiple versions of the operating systems.. and if you manage to compile something you end up with exe files, not with a DVD image or everything nicely packaged for you and usable.

1) we can't tell you because that would be illegal

2) we don't know

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This is one of those instances of if you have to ask you're not ready to do it.

I haven't looked into the source code but you're going to need compiler that they used because modern ones most likely will not work for the simple fact that a lot of things have changed with C and C++ since the XP days. At the very least its going to give you thousands of warnings which some may or may not actually be crucial to fix before compiling for expected behavior. Now you're also going to find the project files and an appropriate IDE to read them or you're going to need make files. This all is assuming that its all included in the dump because there is going to be an absolutely massive list of dependencies so if you're missing even one file the entire compile will fail.

Back to project files because the OS it self is more than just a bootable image you also have an extensive list of dynamic and static libs that will also have to compiled separately and then packaged with the OS so that everything else can run. Now you also have many other applications and services that need to be compiled in addition to the kernel.

I probably shouldn't have wasted my time with this writing this long of a post and left it at that very first line but I thought just to give you a little insight on to how far up shit creek you are when trying to compile such thing. I am still leaving out lots of details but as I said I don't want to write a text book worth of text on a forum post.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

20 hours ago, trag1c said:

This is one of those instances -snip-

thanks, that was actually insightful!

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio