How to ship a used graphics card?

Jaggerr

So I sold my gtx 1070 ti the other day on eBay so I can buy a better one, is there any tips on how to prepare it for shipping so the pci-e connectors don’t break, I don’t have any original boxing so I thought foam would work. Let me know!

image.jpg

My approach always was to add whatever packaging I have from shipments received and think "it's going to be fine"

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

If you have an anti static bag, put the card inside then add tons of foam.

It's generally best practice to keep the boxes of stuff you might resell down the line.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

If you have the old box and antistatic bag, use that

If not, use foam and a shoebox. Still, and antistatic bag is preferable

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I've heard that used paper grocery bags or old newspapers can also make a good substitute for an anti-static bag if you don't have one. When I had to RMA my GPU, that was how they requested I ship it back.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

lots and lots of padding and prayers, a few sacrifices to the elder gods helps. on the rare occasions that i didnt hoard the original box for something ill box up the main item in a form fitting box very tightly and then box that box up in another layer of padding. had to do that for my founders 1080ti and z370 itx. id put my vote for something paper-based to insulate the card from static electricity if you dont have anti static baggies.

then again you can be like the people who ship me their stuff, its a genuine miracle what can go through usps without falling apart. had a dude put a big ass 980ti in a 1650 box with no padding, all fucked up on delivery though it was surprisingly salvageable. had someone throw an x570 atx board in a big box with some ram in a ziploc on top of it, no padding except for some uneven styrofoam blocks at the bottom. zero damage somehow. had someone ship me a power supply in an oversized box with a restaurant portion of packing peanuts, zero damage. i dont know how those people can get away with that sorta thing but its apparently possible, i always pack my shipments super securely and even then i worry lol.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

the post men are going to throw it and kick it around and also drop it on the floor so if you cheap out on protection then please be prepared to give refunds without proof.